5 Replies - 673 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2015 - 04:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Newbie question re. database-driven software

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi there, I found this forum because I need to ask some experts a question about where I should focus my learning. I am not a programmer or coder, but I have used various forms of authoring software to develop educational resources for schools. Most recently, I used iShell, which has been defunct now for several years. I need to learn something new to replace iShell. I create cross-platform CDs that are like photographic 'journeys' into a particular subject. Students click on various topics and there are photographs, text (optional read aloud), and some videos. I have structured everything in iShell so that everything is pulled from a database. Each click of a button reads a row of the database and fills in the correct photo, text file, voice file, etc.
I have built many websites, mainly using wysiwyg editors, but I do know some HTML and I certainly understand the power of code. I am a quick and adaptable learner, so I'm not afraid of steep learning curves.
My question is, what combination of programming would allow me to most easily duplicate what I've been doing in iShell? HTML and MySQL? I'd like to be able to replicate what I'm doing with the databases since once I program one of them the others will follow the same code (I have 10 CDs to do).
I appreciate any guidance you can give me. Given how much there is to learn in coding and programming, I figure I'd try to narrow things down a bit with your help.
Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Newbie question re. database-driven software

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Newbie question re. database-driven software

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Sure.. I don't see why html/php/mysql can't be used in some sort of 'content management system' to mimic what you have explained.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

That's what I was thinking. I initially thought just html and mySQL, but then I started looking into PHP, so that's when I figured I needed some help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

HTML only tells the browser what to display. You need some way of generating the HTML (from the stuff stored in the database) in the first place and that's where some server-side language, like PHP, comes in. You're not restricted to using PHP, of course; there are many languages suitable for doing stuff like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

if you donít want or canít use a server, you could try HTML/Java­Script/CSV. JS can read local files (e.g. off a CD) quite well and CSV is an easy to parse data storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

Sounds good, I look into that too. Thanks for your help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1