7 Replies - 1488 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Better to know a little of everything or concentrate on small area?

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Good evening,

I'm self-taught programmer. Started doing this 3 years ago, I tried Java, then web development technologies such as html/css, javascript, php a bit.
Lately I started to think that I need to concentrate on a one thing. I would like to ask is it a good idea talking about freelancing? And for example, does web development would be concrete enough? Or I should break down into creating server side scripts with php, or learning about security?

This post has been edited by nomoremercy: 19 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Better to know a little of everything or concentrate on small area?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Better to know a little of everything or concentrate on small area?

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

You should try your best to master one or two languages and then have working knowledge in a few others. You want to be effective in the languages that really are in demand but know enough of others that if the job you have requires it you can do what needs to be done. The web is really one of those areas where you can't get away with just knowing HTML and CSS anymore. You really do have to know at least HTML/CSS and Javascript with at least one server side language you are a master in. But for instance you don't need to be a master in node.js or Laravel either. Just know enough of those to get by.

But definitely you want to master a couple core languages and then have knowledge of supporting languages that compliment them. Hopefully that is what you mean. It is said that a jack of all trades is a master of none. And in todays market, companies expect you to be a master of some and a jack of all trades in everything else.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 19 April 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

You should try your best to master one or two languages and then have working knowledge in a few others. You want to be effective in the languages that really are in demand but know enough of others that if the job you have requires it you can do what needs to be done. The web is really one of those areas where you can't get away with just knowing HTML and CSS anymore. You really do have to know at least HTML/CSS and Javascript with at least one server side language you are a master in. But for instance you don't need to be a master in node.js or Laravel either. Just know enough of those to get by.

But definitely you want to master a couple core languages and then have knowledge of supporting languages that compliment them. Hopefully that is what you mean. It is said that a jack of all trades is a master of none. And in todays market, companies expect you to be a master of some and a jack of all trades in everything else.

:)/>

By saying couple core languages, you mean that they should be about the same thing? For example PHP and Javascript? I guess learning Java and PHP wouldn't be a very wise decision, or I'm wrong?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Pick a language you are interested in above all else. Then figure out how to leverage that language. I STRONGLY advise against learning similar languages concurrently. You will get lost and the time spent will be wasted.

HTML, CSS, and Javascript gives you a start. Then moving into a server side language, if you are after web development. The server side language could be Node.js (easy if you really grasp Javascript, but the servers are more scarce); PHP, supported everywhere and has the cheapest hosting; ASP.NET ( actually the web framework of C#/ VB.Net, meaning that you need to learn one of those first); Ruby ( RoR uses Ruby on the Web); ect.

If you want to do desktop stuff, C#, VB.Net, Ruby, Java, Python, or a host of other languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 19 April 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Pick a language you are interested in above all else. Then figure out how to leverage that language. I STRONGLY advise against learning similar languages concurrently. You will get lost and the time spent will be wasted.

HTML, CSS, and Javascript gives you a start. Then moving into a server side language, if you are after web development. The server side language could be Node.js (easy if you really grasp Javascript, but the servers are more scarce); PHP, supported everywhere and has the cheapest hosting; ASP.NET ( actually the web framework of C#/ VB.Net, meaning that you need to learn one of those first); Ruby ( RoR uses Ruby on the Web); ect.

If you want to do desktop stuff, C#, VB.Net, Ruby, Java, Python, or a host of other languages.

If I have a pretty good knowledge of Java SE, it would be OK to use JSP as a server side language instead of PHP? Or JSP is more for enterprise level websites?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

JSP is fine to use as the server-side language. But, you have to ensure that the hardware supports whatever language you are using as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 20 April 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

JSP is fine to use as the server-side language. But, you have to ensure that the hardware supports whatever language you are using as well.

by saying hardware you mean server? also, if jsp is a server side language, so it doesn't need client to have java installed to be able use website. (cause I guess server returns generated html document). Am I wrong?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

Yes, the hardware is the server. Java requires Tomcat to run.

Java EE is what is generally used for web work, however.

I believe, jsp requires a java plug-in to run on the client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1