Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dammit

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dammit

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

What's the point for discussion here? Kick off the discussion. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

This topic :

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm too tired to elaborate much but Hell... Youtube was something Google hadn't completely messed up and now it is done.

Today when you want to access something you need to sign in your Google account, even when you want to read your RSS feeds. What they didn't get in "Really Simple Syndication" is unclear to me, as the reason why you would have to be logged when you use a RSS reader and not when you watch the video directly on their site.

The issue is not that you can't read the videos in your RSS reader (although it sucks too), you can't even see if there are new videos, they even hid the name of the channel.

Posted Image

They really completely broke their RSS feed. You can't follow the content creators unless you use the subscribe feature, which requires a Google account and doesn't show you every new videos when they come out any more anyway. Some content creators saw this coming and started to upload their videos elsewhere but it's not the point : Youtube was OK until they decided they needed to control what you should see based on whatever they think you need to know. I'm so sick of Google deciding what I should know...

And it's not as if you could ignore Google and simply use other services. Google is on my Phone. What do I do ?
I'm really awaiting new open source mobiles OS like sailfish, Tizen, Ubuntu or even Firefox OS. having Google on my phone makes me more nauseous every day.

How can being successful, brilliant, curious and invested in everything seem so... low. It's depressing, really. If this is capitalism at its best I don't know what to believe any more.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 21 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hey, maybe you could have named the topic something like "Google & YouTube RSS feed" rather than "Dammit".

See how topics work :)

If you are too tired, perhaps you should just come back to it later. Have you ever phoned a friend, said fuck Google's RSS feed, & then hung up?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

It's depressing, really. If this is capitalism at its best I don't know what to believe any more.

I hear ya.

Posted Image
Spoiler

You can't follow the content creators unless you use the subscribe feature, which requires a Google account

Well yeah - if they do not have an account to tie a subscribe feature to how do they you know want to see Furries Gone Wild streams over videos of puppies wear hats in wide angle lenses?

and doesn't show you every new videos when they come out any more anyway.

Mine does..

Youtube was OK until they decided they needed to control what you should see based on whatever they think you need to know. I'm so sick of Google deciding what I should know.

Come again - because the RSS feed isn't how you want it that is google/youtube directing what you should watch? A bit of a leap.

I'm really awaiting new open source mobiles OS like sailfish, Tizen, Ubuntu or even Firefox OS.

.. and the masses don't want instability, bad updates, lack of updates, or compatibility issues.. it's bad enough with the fractured Android version landscape let alone some phone OS only being plugged away by six people when they are off duty from waste disposal management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

If you don't like using google's services ... don't.
I'm personally not a fan of facebook, so I don't use it. Likewise Twitter and most of the other distraction sites. If you want to stay away from google-provided services, go for it.
Thing is, google, being a massive ad company, tailors its bait content to be maximally attractive to people who are going to be useful ad viewers. Google wants to make things as easy as possible for as many people as possible - and that means "screwing things up" from your point of view. On the other hand, that's what pays the bills at YouTube. It's not a charity, never was meant to be one. So yeah - it's capitalism. I don't know if it's "at its best" or if it's just, um, capital working normally. If you don't like it, don't buy what they're selling.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:02 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 April 2015 - 02:39 AM, said:

Well yeah - if they do not have an account to tie a subscribe feature to how do they you know want to see Furries Gone Wild streams over videos of puppies wear hats in wide angle lenses?

They don't need to! RSS feeds! APIs, It's as simple as that. The subscribe button is not a user feature, it's a Google feature.

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 April 2015 - 02:39 AM, said:

and doesn't show you every new videos when they come out any more anyway.

Mine does..

Not a very scientific answer ;)

I follow so many channels I've noticed a lot of content creators and subscribers addressing this issue.

This video in particular was a bit funny because the guy suggested to subscribe to a mailing list to get every notifications. Are mailing lists the future of the Internet ?

Several content creators migrated or duplicated their content, but as they explain in the following videos, it's not free, either for them or for you.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=d-ezHpAqJmI
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=T_gCnf9-qW0

Many of them can't afford it, and since people are used to a mono-channel way of consuming Internet content (and even goods - see Amazon), it is a big issue because they may not follow. I know if I need to sign in to many sites like Vessel to access my videos it won't be nearly as convenient to follow them (if there is a subscription fee for each one of them). Again, it is the purpose of content syndication and RSS feeds, but it is not a satisfying solution for Google because it is too open and not intrusive enough for their taste...

Youtube is so popular that when you want to share videos it's next to impossible to avoid if you want a large audience, so every moves Google make to make it less accessible and/or more intrusive is a bad news for the Internet.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 22 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:50 AM

First world problems. All of this. In the days of a 14.4 modem you could spend the afternoon downloading a single mp3.

View Postge∅, on 21 April 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

It's depressing, really. If this is capitalism at its best I don't know what to believe any more.

I fail to see where you have to use YouTube (or even Google). There are other streaming services out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

They don't need to! RSS feeds! APIs, It's as simple as that.

API usage *SHOULD* be monitored and limited. If the silly-big sample of sub-five post wonders that are looking to scrape the googles or the youtubes a hundred times a second and abuse the system - good. Keep those cotton headed ninny muggins out of the API pool.

The subscribe button is not a user feature, it's a Google feature.

Again - how do you address the basics of subscribe then sans a login? How do you actually assign the relationship that X wants to be aware of Y if you do not define X? Back in youtube's early days (pre google) subscribe WAS AN ACCOUNT feature. Let's not get all fuzzy-wuzzy on history.

Youtube is so popular that when you want to share videos it's next to impossible to avoid if you want a large audience, so every moves Google make to make it less accessible and/or more intrusive is a bad news for the Internet.

If you are going to make a monopoly argument then make it. If you are just going to whine because folks making shit videos of skateboarding accidents or that PewDiePie's library is some how crucial content that needs to be shared, and embedded in humanity's zeitgeist, then I will disagree. I would argue that the bar for content creation, distribution, and access is so damn far low dreck like that spews forth.

If those folks were so damn put out by how ridiculously easy the google/youtube operation of 'free access and entry' is then why are they not spending a weekend making their own free video upload site? Ten years ago some folks were, literally, in a garage and mushed together a part dating site/part video upload. With the ubiquity of youtube as a design framework why don't you knock out the video upload/search/display. The php seems like it would be fairly straight forward. Go forth and shake the foundations of the World Turtle.

Posted Image

The reality is people have a free platform to upload, host, collect, subscribe, and profit off of videos. There is no need to pay for CDN data output, no need to build a site, no need to make it known, and no need to bother with security. People should stop and marvel at how wonderful that is. It's like flying in an airplane; folks take it for granted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

I fail to see where you have to use YouTube (or even Google). There are other streaming services out there.

Some of the people I am following and supporting are on Youtube and only on Youtube. Google don't own them, they are not Google products. Youtube is simply the only distributor available for this product and they suddenly decided to stop distribution via RSS feeds. If I were making videos and making a living of it I would be particularity worried at the moment. As you said : why do I have to use Youtube ? If I don't want to subscribe, I can simply stop watching their videos and support them, right? It's not a big deal... right?

You can't contest the fact that Youtube is big on the Internet. If you want to make videos and share them to a maximum of people, you create a Youtube channel, so when you have an impact on the Internet ecosystem and break features like that without notice, yes, it bugs me a little.

Actually I'm even surprised nobody understands why I complain about it. To me it's really a big deal.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 22 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

View Postge∅, on 22 April 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Actually I'm even surprised nobody understands why I complain about it. To me it's really a big deal.

I understand, after a fashion. I don't like being tracked and never login to anything unless I have to. My cookies are ditched between sessions. As a result, I'm keenly aware how google has escalated its need for login with their offered services.

My resentment, however, is mild at this point. I recognize the reality of the interwebs; that I only get free stuff from players like google by surrendering anonymity. Or, more generally, by playing by the rules of those who offer the content. It stings when the content providers change the rules. However, if I weren't paying those providers, my resentment is of little consequence to them.

I know others who have a visceral dislike google and evils of user info commerce, but they still use some google services. Because, well, there just aren't that many alternatives. In some places, Google has become the Walmart of the Internet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

It's the reason why the European Commission accuses Google of abuse of a dominant position. Once you're hooked, there is always a Google service that suits your needs and that you can use seamlessly with a unique ID and password, so why bother subscribing to other services ? This is well know in marketing : the first step is difficult but the moment you get involved, even a little, you will always agree to buy more or give up on more...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

Dammit

Janet.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

I don't know, "Dammit" is a pretty good title.

The problem is that Youtube has dominated the internet in terms of anyone being able to post a video, so it's hard to avoid Google and not be in the dark at the same time.

Look at it this way. Comcast: it's your only choice.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 22 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +