7 Replies - 548 Views - Last Post: 23 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Hello, I'm Shrak. I'm a 17 year old girl entering first year college this August. I'll be taking BS Computer Science and I was always into Computers. I'm learning Python right now and I have been looking for an active programming forum and this seems like the place. :)

I'm interested in learning how to make useful apps and possibly games. But as a quick question, I just wanted to know which language is best to make simple apps? Not specifically games, but simply apps?

Hope to be friends with you guys :)

Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello!

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

Welcome aboard!

But as a quick question, I just wanted to know which language is best to make simple apps? Not specifically games, but simply apps?

We have a pinned topic in the 'software dev' subforum on just this!
http://www.dreaminco...uage-conundrum/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:47 AM

Welcome to Dream.in.Code! :)

But as a quick question, I just wanted to know which language is best to make simple apps? Not specifically games, but simply apps?

There is no best language, and you will hear this a lot. Languages are like tools in your toolbox. Sometimes you will want a hammer, and other times a saw. I would suggest looking at your future school and picking up the language taught in the required intro to programming class. That way, you're ahead of the game in college!

The most important thing for you right now is to learn how to program. You'll be able to make neat programs in pretty much any language you choose!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 maceysoftware  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hello!

I am in full agreement with the last two comments that each language has its place!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostShrak, on 22 April 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hello, I'm Shrak.

Hello Shrak, welcome.

I'm a 17 year old girl entering first year college this August. I'll be taking BS Computer Science and I was always into Computers. I'm learning Python right now and I have been looking for an active programming forum and this seems like the place. :)

Most definitely, this is a very active programming forum with lots of experts on almost every coding subject. So you'll go to take CompSci. I wish I was so lucky back when I entered college. Back in the eighties, there was no pure compsci department on my campus. I did a bachelor curriculum on maths/compsci.

I'm interested in learning how to make useful apps and possibly games. But as a quick question, I just wanted to know which language is best to make simple apps? Not specifically games, but simply apps?

I think macosxnerd101's advise is the best. Go look for the language taught on the intro courses of your future college and begin with it.

Hope to be friends with you guys :)/>

Thank you!

You are our friend already. :)

Welcome again. Enjoy your stay!

This post has been edited by Betsemes: 22 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

beautiful code makes the language look like it was made for the problem!
- clean code
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. :) I currently learned Python however I'm not sure what to do next. Is there anything that I can test my skills on so that I can practice a bit on my Python?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

View PostShrak, on 23 April 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome. :)/> I currently learned Python however I'm not sure what to do next. Is there anything that I can test my skills on so that I can practice a bit on my Python?

You may try CodeAbbey. It's a website loaded with programming problems for beginners. Look into them, choose a few and try your Python on them. You may try Project Euler too. It's generally more advanced, but the first problems are good enough for beginners.

This post has been edited by Betsemes: 23 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1