• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

47 Replies - 1338 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 07:25 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where does your motivation come from?

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

I am currently at college studying a computer course and my dream job would becoming a professional programmer and having my own software company; easier said than done. Anyway, not sure if its just me but what is your motivation to get up and code? - Do you just do it for fun or just code anyway, or do you tell yourself something like "While your goofing around others are becoming better than you at programming".

I ask this because I love programming, I do really enjoy and in my friend zone no one else is really that into programming, so I always end up distracted, then I don't do any coding! Its hard for me as I can only code with other people who are coding as well, not with others when they are not interested or playing games.

What do you think?

:D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where does your motivation come from?

#2 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where does your motivation come from?

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#3 ArtificialSoldier  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

You need to shut out the distractions, maybe that just means headphones and music or maybe you need to go somewhere quiet, but you need an environment where you can work efficiently. There are a lot of good things about programming, essentially the point of it is just problem solving, so it's fun to come up with interesting solutions to difficult problems and then make them work. Hopefully you feel a sense of accomplishment or reward when doing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 24 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

You need to shut out the distractions, maybe that just means headphones and music or maybe you need to go somewhere quiet, but you need an environment where you can work efficiently. There are a lot of good things about programming, essentially the point of it is just problem solving, so it's fun to come up with interesting solutions to difficult problems and then make them work. Hopefully you feel a sense of accomplishment or reward when doing that.

Thanks I really do love posts like this, yeah I do feel a great accomplishment when finishing a program that solved a problem. I guess I just feel alone when programming so I end up just quickly checking Steam and then end up getting distracted away from coding.

Thanks for the post though :) - It helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 ArtificialSoldier  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

That happens to me too, I have a hard time working efficiently at home even by myself because my development machine is also my gaming machine. As opposed to working in the office, where I just surf the internet all day instead.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 24 April 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

That happens to me too, I have a hard time working efficiently at home even by myself because my development machine is also my gaming machine. As opposed to working in the office, where I just surf the internet all day instead.

I fell your pain! hahaha, same here though, Steam is only a taskbar click away and lord Gaben is calling ;) I love coding, when I finish one of personal projects it really makes me happy, but I do have a problem where I get lonely.
Also I still yet have to get that experience of working in an office and in a programming team...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

On a more serious note, I come from the other side. You ask where does motivation come from, I ask how does one unplug? I'm just going to work on it for another hour, I'm just going to check one more time, I'm just going to do one more search. Next thing I know, the sun is coming up.

I believe you either have the drive, or you don't.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 ArtificialSoldier  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

I'm at a small company, so I wouldn't really refer to us as a "team". Our programming department is me and one other programmer who might actually stick around for a while, which is good. He actually knows object-oriented concepts and working with frameworks and things, which is a step up from the guy who misspells most function and variable names, or the person whose code works 95% of the time (it works great, until it doesn't). The first guy was on a project for a program to build tests and things. In one piece of code he used the word "assessment" in 5 different variable names and managed to spell it differently every time, and not once correctly. It's a mystery how his code ever ran, he must have copied and pasted variables all over the place. Anyway, a team might be over-rated, although if you were working for a large company then hopefully you would learn some good processes and things like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:24 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 April 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

On a more serious note, I come from the other side. You ask where does motivation come from, I ask how does one unplug? I'm just going to work on it for another hour, I'm just going to check one more time, I'm just going to do one more search. Next thing I know, the sun is coming up.

I believe you either have the drive, or you don't.

I really do envy the way you code! Do you work in a team or mostly on personal or work projects by yourself?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Depends on the project. If it's too large for myself, or in technologies/languages that I have no business venturing into, I have resources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 24 April 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm at a small company, so I wouldn't really refer to us as a "team". Our programming department is me and one other programmer who might actually stick around for a while, which is good. He actually knows object-oriented concepts and working with frameworks and things, which is a step up from the guy who misspells most function and variable names, or the person whose code works 95% of the time (it works great, until it doesn't). The first guy was on a project for a program to build tests and things. In one piece of code he used the word "assessment" in 5 different variable names and managed to spell it differently every time, and not once correctly. It's a mystery how his code ever ran, he must have copied and pasted variables all over the place. Anyway, a team might be over-rated, although if you were working for a large company then hopefully you would learn some good processes and things like that.

Wow that guy though, great story! I have that a lot in my class at college, loads of wanna bees or people who just don't understand code copy and paste everything, then never learn what it all means, I hate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostAnonHandle, on 24 April 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

loads of wanna bees

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 24 April 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Depends on the project. If it's too large for myself, or in technologies/languages that I have no business venturing into, I have resources.

I guess you just never sleep then and you dream in code ;) Sorry. I had to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Gorian  Icon User is online

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

I've never been a professional programmer, most of my career to date is more systems administration with some scripting, so it's not exactly my bread and butter. My motivation at the end up the day is watching the pieces come together to create the end goal, and that feeling of accomplishment when it's done. Kind of like playing minesweeper or sudoku. It's a lot of logic and thinking, but on a larger scale.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »