7 Replies - 1657 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Win10 not reporting monitor sizes accurately?

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone else noticed this in their playing with applications for Windows 10?

I have 3 monitors. The middle monitor (number 2) is 1920x1200. Therefore it's origin has to be x=-1920. Just has to be, right? Upper left of monitor 1 is 0,0 and the reference point for all other monitors. If monitor 1 is 1920x1080 and the bottoms are aligned monitor 2 is therefore -1920,-120. That's just simple math.

Attached Image

Yet to make my program open on the second monitor in the upper-left corner for the width of the monitor I have to give it values of -1927,-120 and a size of 1933x1167, not 1920x1160. The width doesn't even match the offset. Its as if I have to make the width & height larger to account for some scaling taking place by Windows O.S.

Attached Image

If it give it the values that it SHOULD be of -1920 with a matching width it is slight off the left edge and not quite wide enough. (You can see the green desktop to the right side)

Attached Image

I haven't dug into this hard yet. Haven't interrogated the OS for what it is reporting for size, nor accounted for OS themeing like drop shadows under windows (which I have turned off so should be a value of zero).

Also, the height of the taskbar should be 40, and thus the remaining height 1160, not 1167. There seems to be a 7 pixel discrepancy in each direction. It almost feels like Windows is trying to pre-shrink the window in order to account for Windows drop shadow on the right and bottom - even if the shadow is turned off in System settings. That the application window is going to be 1920 wide including the shadow.

Attached Image

That doesn't seem right to me. In the past the drop shadow has always been an effect outside of the boarders of a Form/window.

I was just wondering if anyone else had run across this weird phenomenon.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 26 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Win10 not reporting monitor sizes accurately?

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Win10 not reporting monitor sizes accurately?

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

New theory: The dimensions and size include the standard window border even if the window is borderless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

I'm not sure if this pertains to your issue, but according to the JumpStart on MVA Windows 10 has altered the way scaling works with icons/font on higher resolutions. For instance right now in other Windows OS's if you have a high resolution (4k desktop monitor for instance) your icons and font are extremely small, but in Windows 10 they are doing some scaling math to make the icons and fonts larger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thanks.

Not on a 4k monitor. Dell 2405 monitor at 1920x1200.

I'm not sure if that scaling would affect the actual window location and size. I would expect it to just affect the the presentation within the user area of the window, but not the window geometry.

Will be interesting to get feedback from users with high res monitors that have that auto scaling because I current put a scaling slider in the status bar of my desktop applications. That way people can scale the entire work space as needed: Lets say they have poor eyesight for example, or are projecting onto a wall... I like to let users adjust to their needs. But again, this is all happening in panels within the window itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have the same issue on my desktop running 3 Dell monitors. Oddly enough, it only happens on one of them and they are identical. The primary is fine, the secondary on the other card is fine, but the display running with the primary is larger than the monitor. This is on a Windows 7 Pro OS.

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 18 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:38 AM

Hmmm... Interesting and my same situation.
#1 is the laptop built-in, so the primary
#2 is the external off the built-in video card... This is the one that doesn't match up right
#3 is a USB3->HDMI adapter

But here is something even more interesting. Its been a few build updates of Windows 10 since I started this thread. My application saves the Window location for each user so it can re-open to where that user had it. Those values are now where one would expect them and the program opens in the right place with those values. Its almost as if this bug was found and fixed in one of the builds. Or since each build resets the preferences maybe there is a combination of custom display settings that cause it. Or a new video card driver?

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

A driver is a driver, regardless of who puts it out, but I am running dual GT610 cards. I didn't have the issue until I switched my monitors. I had 3 AOC non-HD -(1920 x 1080) monitors and everything was fine. When I upped the resolution, by changing the monitors, it started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

And mine are 1920x1200, one landscape, one portrait. So higher than the ones you say are causing problems.

I had the issue when I switched to Win10 during earlier builds. That's when & why I started this thread.
But somewhere along the lines it straightened out. I can't say exactly when because I don't double-check the window geometry values stored in the program's database every time. But at some point it stopped saving off-size values like 1927x1163 and started using expected values like 1920x1167 (1160 comes from 1200 minus the taskbar height).

I truly think it was a bug in Windows accounting for borders whether they were turned on or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1