• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 2070 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Feedback -- Necroposting Discussion

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

I doubt its feasible. Sorry for how this sounds administration but... We can't even get the template for emails updated after 3 months. So I seriously doubt any other more major changes are going to get done.

Often the best solution is the simplest one. Maybe the best answer is for people to just stop thinking that old threads are bad. If an old thread answers a question then why do we have to re-write it just to make a newer one? And updating older information with a tip for a newer OS isn't a bad thing.

If we stop acting like old threads are bad... stop harassing people for posting to them... then we don't have a problem any more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:15 AM

Necroposting happens quite frequently here. As long as you are contributing something useful to the discussion, no one will rail you for it. If you're running through 214 threads you found in the "related topics" section adding "Yep!" or "Me, too." or other delightfully useless bits, you're likely going to catch hell for it. Yes, dates sometimes get overlooked - we're all guilty of it, noobies, old timers, and team members alike - but now that you know to check the dates, let's start doing that and stop beating the dead horse, m'kay?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

I think anyone that is adding posts like "Yep!" or "Me, too" to ANY topics in general should get warned regardless of if they are active or not. I don't see why it would be okay in an active topic but not in an older one. I figure that's what the reputation buttons are for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

TheAlmightyPug said:

I know this is an issue that occurs with the "Related Topics" at the bottom of the page

I can attest this is true. Several times I've almost fallen for it if I wasn't paying attention to the very tiny dates.

tlhIn`toq said:

And updating older information with a tip for a newer OS isn't a bad thing.

+1

If the post isn't going to be new and relevant, might as well keep the horse dead.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostTheAlmightyPug, on 28 April 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think anyone that is adding posts like "Yep!" or "Me, too" to ANY topics in general should get warned regardless of if they are active or not. I don't see why it would be okay in an active topic but not in an older one. I figure that's what the reputation buttons are for.

Oh pa-leeze... 90% of the posts in a lot of sections are equally pointless. Are we really going to get into monitoring for whether or not a post contributes anything meaningful to the thread?

If someone adds "Yeah me too" to a 3 year old post just unapprove the fraking thing and get on with your day without making a federal case over it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostTheAlmightyPug, on 28 April 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

Ehhh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

without making a federal case over it.

That goes hand in hand with "don't get so bent out of shape when someone sends you a neutral PM to be aware of the last post date on a thread". A little less 'triggering' on all sides would be nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 April 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

If someone adds "Yeah me too" to a 3 year old post just unapprove the fraking thing and get on with your day without making a federal case over it.

This is usually the point where the mods come along and ask people to check dates before posting to old threads. Depending on the thread itself, we may even close it to prevent additional necroposts, but overall, I don't feel there's usually a big deal made out of these necrotic oversights.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#24 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

The mods do a difficult job and they do it well

Key thing to remember that its only a forum

No one dies from being told off
And no one dies from necroing either

A modicum of sense is required on both sides of the debate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +