19 Replies - 6685 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Microsoft releases cross-platform Visual Studio dev environment

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

Note: Currently preview version only

Article posted ~9 hours ago: http://techcrunch.co...s/#.udlvmi:cxE1
Download: https://code.visualstudio.com/Download

How many of y'all are excited for this? I know I am. As an everyday OS X user, I no longer have to boot into Parallels VM to do .NET development. Ignoring Xamarin since I've only had bad experiences with that platform. How many of you will be jumping on this, even if it's to play around with it? What features are you excited about?

I've launched it up and it seems to be very lightweight. The download was only ~200MB. It seems that they're moving away from a full-fledged IDE and towards a lightweight editor. Instead of having the user install all of the dependencies, you use a yeoman generator to create the .NET 5 project. It seems like Microsoft's version of Sublime / Atom.

I'm excited :bananaman:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft releases cross-platform Visual Studio dev environment

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft releases cross-platform Visual Studio dev environment

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

That's fine and dandy.. The keynote hit me with more love of Azure and semi chub for the hololense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:54 PM

Still compiles with Mono though, so F# support will be hard-fought.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:02 AM

All links to MS currently seem dead: e.g the second one in the OP, https://code.visualstudio.com/ which is supposed to work.

As programming languages, I like F# and C# immensely. But MonoDevelop only works so well. If Microsoft was serious about this, I'd be happy.

In similar, strange, wouldn't that be cool but not quite buying it yet news: Windows 10 can run reworked Android and iOS apps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:21 AM

In similar, strange, wouldn't that be cool but not quite buying it yet news: Windows 10 can run reworked Android and iOS apps
I don't understand your qualifiers for this. Why is that strange or cool?

Windows 8 does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

View Postdepricated, on 30 April 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

The part I don't buy is 'cool'. :whistling: There's always a performance price to pay for emulations or virtual machines, and on cell phones that price is more noticeable than on desktops. It's a decent marketing tactic though for the vendor, but I wouldn't want any of my apps generated that way if I could avoid it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

I was more excited about it before I installed it. Then I saw an 'editor' and not an 'IDE'. I guess with the name of "Visual Studio code" I expected a more familiar Visual Studio feel. I expected
  • to open/create 'solutions' not 'files'
  • to have a dockable environment
  • to have at least some familiarity with the UI even though I would be lost on the development language and paradigms for Mac programming.
  • some cross-platform friendliness such as F5 to debug rather than SHIFT-COMMAND-D
  • a couple starter templates for programs. Opening to a blank page and a blinking cursor is like starting to author a novel and staring at that first blank page being just dumbfounded as to where to start. With Visual Studio you can at least start with a WinForms or WPF solution template and hit debug and have something run. Then you can dick around with it from there. But at least you are starting with a known-working solution that compiles and runs.
At the bare minimum even for a preview version I expect the settings/preferences dialog to be a dialog and not just opening a text editor to a json page. I see people setting their default palette sizes to 15,000px and other silly things to hurt themselves.

Since this had no installer, I'm assuming that means the .NET core for MacOS wasn't installed. Even for a preview it would be nice if it popped up a dialog suggesting you install it and giving you a link.

Other than having a built-in debugger it doesn't even look as finished as Notepad++. Or am I missing something fundamental about it, like you're expected to do your work in VS2015 on Windows and just make adjustments in VSCode on the Mac to fine tune????

I'm still excited about some good cross-platform potential; not just as excited about this first step. I see first-steps as needing to make a great first impression these days. If the first impression of the editor is <yawn> I worry it won't gather much momentum.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 30 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Fun fact from keynote day 2.. there's going to be a minecraft modding addin for Minecraft. (as an avenue for getting kids interested into programming, comp sci, and etc)

Darn 17 year old Aiden Brady is there.. talking about it.. because he's a big mod deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 30 April 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 30 April 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

The part I don't buy is 'cool'. :whistling:/> There's always a performance price to pay for emulations or virtual machines, and on cell phones that price is more noticeable than on desktops. It's a decent marketing tactic though for the vendor, but I wouldn't want any of my apps generated that way if I could avoid it.

Is it indeed emulation? I haven't really looked at it yet, but I figured they'd done something along the lines of making an IL compiler for java and objective C.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I still just wish that they'd release docker integration for Windows 10, instead of just Windows Server (maybe they will at some point). Though, I guess I really need to actually use docker in the first place for that to be a big deal to me.

I was intrigued to see that they are releasing a package manager for Windows as well. That is something I really like about Linux systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

"Docker Integration" ??? Got a link to whatever that is for those of us that don't already know?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

Docker..

What is Docker?

Docker is an open platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications. Consisting of Docker Engine, a portable, lightweight runtime and packaging tool, and Docker Hub, a cloud service for sharing applications and automating workflows, Docker enables apps to be quickly assembled from components and eliminates the friction between development, QA, and production environments. As a result, IT can ship faster and run the same app, unchanged, on laptops, data center VMs, and any cloud.

https://www.docker.com/whatisdocker/

http://azure.microso...ort-for-docker/
http://azure.microso...log/tag/docker/
https://docs.docker....lation/windows/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

View Postthecoat, on 30 April 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Is it indeed emulation? I haven't really looked at it yet, but I figured they'd done something along the lines of making an IL compiler for java and objective C.

The thing is, if it's not then it's not really as big a deal as people are making of it, since all they've done is add a couple of languages. It's a help, but you'll still need to rework your code to work in their framework if you want to port your app.

I guess if I thought Objective C were here for the long term I'd be more enthusiastic, but Apple's made it pretty clear that they think the future is Swift.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

I installed this thing out of curiosity but decided to remove it. It left "Ticino" on my Windows context menu. I had to remove it using regedit, from:

\HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

----

Funny how most recent editors "resemble" Sublime Text (VS Code, Brackets, Atom, Light Table..). ST remains the best though. Comparison here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 01 May 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

View Postthecoat, on 30 April 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

The thing is, if it's not then it's not really as big a deal as people are making of it, since all they've done is add a couple of languages. It's a help, but you'll still need to rework your code to work in their framework if you want to port your app.

I guess if I thought Objective C were here for the long term I'd be more enthusiastic, but Apple's made it pretty clear that they think the future is Swift.

I've never looked into creating apps for Apple products, so don't take my mention of Objective C as indicative of what MS included, I just mentioned that because it's the language I thought Apple developers used. I have mucked around some with Android App development using Java and Eclipse, and I could see where MS could feasibly create something in VS to mimic the project management style of Eclipse or at least some sort of automated conversion of the project to a VS format while keeping the java code as it is, honestly I'd think that would be easier to write than their own java compiler.

I just got around to installing Win10 and VS 2015 on my laptop last night. I get a chance I'll have to mess around with the Android stuff a bit to get a better idea. It has an android device emulator for debugging (much like the windows phone emulator from the looks of it). I agree though if the end result is not a native app, but requires an emulator around the app it's not nearly as cool as it might initially look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +