Microsoft releases cross-platform Visual Studio dev environment

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 6682 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Microsoft releases cross-platform Visual Studio dev environment

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

I hope i'm able to use this to program using C/C++ and none of that .NET crap i dislike!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Aren't you just a big ol' bowl full of positive pudd'n.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

The thing is, if it's not then it's not really as big a deal as people are making of it, since all they've done is add a couple of languages. It's a help, but you'll still need to rework your code to work in their framework if you want to port your app.

I guess if I thought Objective C were here for the long term I'd be more enthusiastic, but Apple's made it pretty clear that they think the future is Swift.
I just got around to installing Win10 and VS 2015 on my laptop last night. I get a chance I'll have to mess around with the Android stuff a bit to get a better idea. It has an android device emulator for debugging (much like the windows phone emulator from the looks of it). I agree though if the end result is not a native app, but requires an emulator around the app it's not nearly as cool as it might initially look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

View Postarthisuresh, on 02 June 2015 - 12:14 AM, said:

I just got around to installing Win10 and VS 2015 on my laptop last night.

There's a Win10 Tech Preview thread here:
http://www.dreaminco...0-tech-preview/

As a tip: Be sure to deauthorize your PC from iTunes at the end of the day. Each time a build release installs it looks like a completely new computer. So you then have to authorize the new machine. Since you can only have 5 machines authorized on iTunes it wouldn't take long to eat all your authorizations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

Anyone else have this happen:

Windows 10 Build 10130 installed the other night.
Visual Studio 2013 Professional throws errors that the designer modules didn't load correctly.
I can't open XAML documents now.
The Project Assistant doesn't open. I think this goes back to the Designer Modules not loading. Most likely the assistant is a designer.

Visual Studio 2015 is working fine so I'm not dead in the water.
I've been using VS15 for all the work and only using VS13 to make InstallSheild installers, because InstallShield Community Edition doesn't install into VS15 RC.
I can still do this. So I'm operational.

Just an observation.

Also noticed - The registry is locked out on Windows 10. I am the admin for my PC, yet when a program tries to write to the registry it can't, throwing up a dialog to contact the admin. I had to change the permissions of the registry in regedit then was fine again. So the default access permission is a different value than in Win8. I think this could be the root cause for some program failures such as SnagIt. I suspect it is trying to write to the registry or some temp directly that previously wasn't locked out and now it can't so it crashes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +