10 Replies - 1227 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bridging the gap betwen school and work

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

I'm in a CIS program at a 4 year school. I'm also working full time and trying to change careers and get into the IT field. I love to program and working with databases which is my concentration in school, but how can I get experience without going on internships. The reason why internships are a bad option for me is because I work during the day and most internships are during the day.

Is there a way to get to work on group projects after getting my Java 8 programmer II cert? I think the group projects can be added to my portfolio.
Thanks for the help!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Bridging the gap betwen school and work

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Bridging the gap betwen school and work

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Is there a way to get to work on group projects after getting my Java 8 programmer II cert?

Sure. Find a group and work on projects. Then post the source code on your Github or personal portfolio site. You can do this before or after getting your cert, by the way. ;)

The reason why internships are a bad option for me is because I work during the day and most internships are during the day.

Good internships will pay at least $20-25/hour. I'm not sure how much you're making, but it might not be a (big) pay cut to pursue an internship. If you're looking to change careers, it will pay off in the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

The reason why internships are a bad option for me is because I work during the day and most internships are during the day.
Then get a night job, and intern by day. Seems rather obvious. And/or work weekends giving you two weekdays towards the internship. We all worked multiple jobs when we were kids like you. That's what happens when you are starting out in life.

Also I suggest you learn to search. There are at least 50 similar threads here, and I'd bet at least 15 of them are less than 60 days old. There is a LOT of good advice in all those threads - and it applies to you as much as it does to those that asked before - and as much as it does to the other 100,000 students graduating this year. Your situation isn't unique. Vast numbers of CIS graduates poor out of college every year. You are all at the start of your real-world lives (IE: Out of the world of academia). Welcome.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 11 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 11 May 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

Then get a night job, and intern by day. Seems rather obvious. And/or work weekends giving you two weekdays towards the internship. We all worked multiple jobs when we were kids like you. That's what happens when you are starting out in life.

Also I suggest you learn to search. There are at least 50 similar threads here, and I'd bet at least 15 of them are less than 60 days old. There is a LOT of good advice in all those threads - and it applies to you as much as it does to those that asked before - and as much as it does to the other 100,000 students graduating this year. Your situation isn't unique. Vast numbers of CIS graduates poor out of college every year. You are all at the start of your real-world lives (IE: Out of the world of academia). Welcome.

Dude all I want is to change careers.I'm 46 years old and just need some direction.
Wow your a pretty angry soul. A little tip if youdo not anything good to say keep it to your self JACK!

Wow my first asshole i met on this site
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Knock it off with the personal attacks. Everything tlhIn`toq said to you was spot on and intended to help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 11 May 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Knock it off with the personal attacks. Everything tlhIn`toq said to you was spot on and intended to help you.

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostcisStudent#56, on 11 May 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

A little tip if youdo not anything good to say keep it to your self JACK!

Wow my first asshole i met on this site

He's not an asshole so much as life is a bitch. When I was in college I worked two jobs, one factory & one restaurant. Was also going through a divorce & a foreclosure & considered myself fortunate. I did what I had to & now I have an excellent career because I worked hard.

Like it was suggested, it's pretty simple, push yourself as hard as you are willing to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

no he is not dude, he needs to learn constructive criticism. You are not friendly at all. You guys are worthless.
I'm ending my membership now.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for stopping by.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Bye then.

46 years old and you get offended that easily. Sad to say you wasted your time in school, most developers don't have time to dick around and are very blunt. Maybe you should use the degree to teach fledgling programmers where you can be as nice as you want. Otherwise, take the advice. A good number of us are in the industry and have lives and families. You want to knit pick over what you view as constructive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

I think the point has been made, and I'll close the thread now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1