3 Replies - 232 Views - Last Post: 20 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Considering becoming a Software Developer, would like advice.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hello,

I am strongly considering going back to school to become a software developer but would like to get some feedback from Software Developers about the field before moving forward. I am a little hesitant due to negatives I've read about future jobs being outsourced and the field constantly changing. Of course this intel is coming from the net so I don't know how much weight it holds but thought I would reach out to see what everyone has to say.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the future for new software developers along with the pros and cons of the job?

Thanks in advance for sharing,

JL

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Considering becoming a Software Developer, would like advice.

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Considering becoming a Software Developer, would like advice.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hey. I've moved this discussion over to the Software Development forum. It doesn't really belong in the MySQL help forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

On the topic of outsourcing, I don't have much to say. Other than that, while I live in a very high-income area, and outsourcing happens all the time all around me, my personal experience hasn't been affected by it at all.

People may go for the cheap outsourcing once or twice, until they figure out the hard way that they are in fact getting what they pay for. At that point they'll probably start looking closer and finding somebody reliable that gets good quality results, even if they are more expensive.

Of course there are high quality developers everywhere, but in my experience you aren't likely to find cheap high quality developers anywhere, not even in low-income areas. Perhaps somewhat cheaper, but not significantly enough to waste energy on the long distance thing.

... and the field constantly changing.

True. The languages and technologies being used are constantly evolving, and new alternatives are constantly popping up. You have to keep up if you want to keep yourself relevant. You can't simply learn language A with methodology B, and leave it at that. - Even the most experienced software developers spend a good portion of their day acting like students; teaching themselves how to use the latest language, or technique, or library, or API, etc... It's part of the job.

It's important to have some real interest in the field, so you are motivated to keep up. If it's something you're just doing for the paycheck, and you don't really care much about it beyond that, it's probably going to suck.

There are also skills involved that aren't easily learned. You need to be a good problem solver. That's basically what development is: solving problems. I've met a great deal of people who have learned the languages and techniques, and have all the degrees possible to prove as much, but are completely useless because they can't figure out how to solve the simplest of problems. Programming languages are just tools used to describe how to solve a problem. If you can't solve the problem to begin with, the tool is pretty much useless, no matter how well you know it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

In the off chance you pop back in..

I've read about future jobs being outsourced

I'll echo atli - outsourcing comes and goes, but typically retracts quickly when a company finds the quality (and security) of the work is hurting the bottom line. It's something to be somewhat concerned about, but not enough for me to not enter the field.

and the field constantly changing.

Well, yeah. It's technology, right? The field is constantly moving, juking, and jiving. Certainly businesses of the larger variety have core systems that you can latch into and ride out maintenance work for, but you'll need to be cognizant of what is happening around you. The same can be applied to darn near *ANY* job... architecture, construction, or even wild life management. There is no stagnant job where you can learn up to X and not need anything more. Well.. except for the old guy at the bar who, from my understanding, only collects income off of making Excel reports.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1