11 Replies - 1256 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Web Development Careers?

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

I'm looking into making web design/development my career after working with both software languages and HTML/CSS/Javascript/etc. I would like to go to school for it but I'm not even sure if this falls under a major. I was originally going to do Information Technology as that is (from what I understand) the Business Administration of computer majors. And by that I mean you get a broader scope of classes as opposed to Computer Science which is specific to programming and algorithms. Some of the majors I'm looking at have some elective classes for web design/development but I have yet to find a complete major for such. Is there a thing at all?

What would be my best approach to getting a job in this industry? What skills would I need to develop to get an entry-level position? I'm not really looking for an internship position unless it pays REALLY well (which is unlikely) because I am the only one that's providing for myself and my girlfriend right now.

What positions are available in this field anyway? I've heard of Angular.js developer, Ember.js developer, Web Developer, but I haven't seen anything for web designer. This really goes back to my previous question of what skills I'd need though. So really any help on this would be great lol.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Development Careers?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Development Careers?

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

** Moved to corner cubicle due to career discussion **
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:44 AM

Ah, sorry about that. Thanks man,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

What would be my best approach to getting a job in this industry?

Have a degree and some work to show folks..
Have less a degree and more work to show folks.
Have self employment work experience, less/more a degree, and work to show folks.

What skills would I need to develop to get an entry-level position?

It's the web so figure on front end languages (your javascript, css, html, etc), a few server side, some sort of ability to make a page that doesn't look like poo, database skills, and maybe a bit of CMs knowledge tossed in there.

I would also suggest looking at posts here that ask similar questions.

I would also suggest looking at your local job boards and seeing what the skill set is people are looking for. In that matter perhaps talking to a few recruiters to see if they have offer more localized advice.

What positions are available in this field anyway?

Look through your local job boards and see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

There is a difference in web design vs development. That is the first thing to understand.

If you are in the US, check meetups for networking in your area. The rest is trial by doing. An IT degree may help, but it is your skill set, not the degree that gets you anywhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at job boards for my area to see what jobs are available and what they want and most want you to have a degree and some sort of portfolio or work you can show as evidence of your skills.

I understand the difference between design and development though (mostly). Design is strictly the UI/UX and front-end and development involves more of the back-end work. I could be wrong though but that's my simple answer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

For the most part that is correct.

Web designers need to know more on the design UX role. Experience with products like Photoshop/ gimp, understand typography, and how things like color effect the feel.

Development can be front-end, backend of fullstack. You may or may not need database knowledge, though lean towards learning it as it is better to know then not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

Tyr4el, on 26 May 2015 - 08:08 AM, said:

I'm not really looking for an internship position unless it pays REALLY well (which is unlikely) because I am the only one that's providing for myself and my girlfriend right now.

You will spend much more time researching & learning on your own compared to gaining direct knowledge from those in the field.

I don't know what you consider to be "a lot", or what you currently make, but entry level isn't likely to be much. It's an encredibly popular field that is filled with both college educated as well as self educated individuals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

Make websites for family and friends for free to build a portfolio of work.

See if your local School/Medical Centre/Dentist/Barber/Hairdresser would like a free website built for them.

of course they would have to pay for the hosting but you get the general idea build a broad portfolio of work by doing it voluntary in your spare time then when you think you have enough skillful sites go to a recruitment agency and register let them find employers for you and if you are lucky enough to get an interview wow them with your portfolio and general skill.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

That's a really good idea, snoop. I'm about to be unemployed so I'll have all the time in the world lol. Unfortunately though, when I get another job, my time will be limited and I'd be afraid to even ask to do a project like that unless the client (friend or family member) didn't care about a deadline.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

View Postsnoopy11, on 28 May 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

of course they would have to pay for the hosting

I can give you free space. PM for details. If you want your own domain, you would need to register it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

That's very kind of you. If I ever have one of these projects, I'll let you know :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1