3 Replies - 19622 Views - Last Post: 09 June 2015 - 11:44 AM Rate Topic: -----

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

C# FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE!

Post icon  Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

C# FAQ

How can I learn C#?

This is an extremely common question. So common, in fact, that we've created a tutorial series that should walk you through the basics and more:

The Learning C# Series

And if you're more experienced in C#, you can contribute to the series! Just leave a reply on the thread as to which topic you'd like to write for (even if it's not listed), or PM me or another moderator and we'll discuss what you can do to contribute!

How can I get better at C#?

Well, hopefully there's still something for you in the Learning C# Series, but if you think you've got that all down, we have a ton of tutorials not specifically in the series. You can find them all here.

Sometimes it's easier to learn by doing than reading, so you can also take a look at our Project Ideas thread if you're looking for ideas to work on.

And, of course, ask questions! That's what we're here for. The C# forum is for programming Questions and Answers only, so post here if you're having an issue directly related to writing code. If you're more experienced or you know the answer to a question, jump right in! We accept quality help from anyone, not just those with expert/mentor badges.

If you're more interested in having a discussion about a C# or .NET related topic, come to the C# Advanced Discussion subforum and start a thread. There we do not enforce the Q/A requirement, so you can ask questions about best practices, or just share ideas you've had about the language or the Framework.

Welcome to Dream.In.Code, to the C# forum, and to the C# language! Good luck, and we hope you find what you're looking for here!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: C# FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE!

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE!

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Rules of the C# Forum

We welcome help and questions from anyone, but we do ask a few things in return:

• Please don't just dump homework questions on us. We do help with homework all the time, but there's a difference between helping and cheating. Helping is when you don't understand a particular part, and we tell you how it works without giving you the answer. Cheating is pasting your assignment's requirements in the question box and expecting someone to give you code you can just turn in. With all that in mind, there's this to consider as well. TL;DR: we're happy to help you with your homework, but helping isn't cheating. Which leads us to our next point:
  • Please don't dump fully coded solutions on people who ask questions. If you feel that it's justified, at the very least, please explain the code in detail. The problem with dumping code with no explanations is that our purpose here isn't to just answer questions. It's to assist in the learning process, to make people better programmers. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, feed him for life." Cliche, but on-point.
  • Be professional and polite. This rule applies to both askers and answerers. For you question-askers, remember that nobody here is paid; we're not your employees. We're volunteers who spend our free time helping people. You can't treat us like hired help and expect us to jump at your demands. By that same note, us question-answerers need to remember that the askers are coming from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels, and they're trusting us to steer them right. We should respect them for knowing to ask for help, and for choosing us to help them. For both sides, communicating professionally helps. If your post has a bunch of "lol" or emoticons or "cn sum1 pls halp me plox?" garbage, we're going to ignore you because you're showing you don't respect us enough to make an effort for effective communication.
  • Stay on topic. Question/Answer threads are not for off-topic discussion. It's excellent when a question leads to interesting discussion, and we very much encourage it. But once it goes on for several posts, it can detract from the Original Poster's question, especially if they haven't confirmed that their problem is resolved. To remedy this, feel free to make a new thread in the C# Advanced Discussion subforum to continue discussion. Link to the Q/A topic, and carry on there. We welcome discussion, we just prefer to keep it organized.
  • Be correct. Please do your best to verify your answers. If you have a source (like an MSDN link), you should include it in your reply. We'd like our threads to be useful to Googlers as well as the person who asked the question, so having correct, on-point answers help.
  • Don't sweat the rep. Our forum has a feedback mechanism: the green and red buttons at the bottom of each reply. These allow you to upvote good answers as well as downvoting off-topic or blatantly incorrect answers. Unfortunately, there's no way to undo a vote, so if someone accidentally downvotes you, don't let it get under your skin. Your reputation isn't the be-all, end-all thing on this site. Unlike StackOverflow, your rep is not related to your access or permissions, so having negative reputation is not as big a detriment. On the other hand, members see this number, and it can tell people that you're either a helpful person, or you're an argumentative jerk. Keep that in mind as well.
  • Don't abuse the rep either. We want you to use the rep buttons, otherwise we wouldn't have put them there. But we don't want you to abuse them. Don't upvote people just because they're your friends; upvote useful, helpful, on-topic posts. By that same point, don't downvote people for petty reasons, like "well they downvoted me". The red button should really only be used for grossly incorrect posts, off-topic posts, or blatantly unhelpful ones. For the most part, a "hey, that's not correct" is more useful than a downvote.
  • Contribute! If you feel like you have something to add, go for it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

C# Resources

The MSDN

The Microsoft Developer's Network is Microsoft's documentation site. This site will be your absolute best friend as a developer.

Visual C# on the MSDN

Any time you have questions about any .NET component, the MSDN should be your first stop. Usually it will be the first Google result when you search "C# component". Example: Google: C# WebClient. Top link: WebClient class on the MSDN.

One of our Mentors AdamSpeight2008 has written a guide to understanding the MSDN: http://www.dreaminco...-guide-to-msdn/

This page links to the MSDN articles on Keywords, Operators, Preprocessor Directives, Compiler Options and Errors, and even the Language Specification. Also several more resources on the page:

https://msdn.microso...y/618ayhy6.aspx

This link provides examples of how to use all of LINQ's operators:

https://code.msdn.mi...amples-3fb9811b

Dream.In.Code. Links

We have many tutorials on this site that we link frequently. Here are a few:

How to format your code before posting it.
Bulding an application - Part 1
Building an application - Part 2
Passing values between forms and classes
Debugging tutorial
A second debugging tutorial
Understanding Interfaces
Parameterizing your SQL Queries: The right way to query a database!

If you have recommendations for adding tutorials or threads to this list, please send me a PM

Development Resources

Visual Studio (Includes a Free Version)
LINQpad: More than just a query editor, it's a full-featured C#/VB.NET/F# scratchpad.
Redgate Reflector Unfortunately no longer free, but still a vastly useful resource
JustDecomiple Telerik's free alternative to Reflector
dotPeek Jetbrains' free alternative to Reflector
Resharper A paid addon for Visual Studio providing excellent refactoring and code completion tools
Visual Studio Power Tools an addon pack for Visual Studio

Other Links

PInvoke.NET, a resource for Win32 Interop programming.
The old D.I.C. C# Resource Thread

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 09 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

Meet the C# Forum Leaders!

Who are the forum leaders? The D.I.C. FAQ says they are:

Members who lead a specific forum and help start and lead discussions, handle basic moderation, and participate in the planning and execution of Dream.In.Code challenges, contests, and other activities.

So, let's introduce ourselves.

Curtis Rutland

Hi,

I've been programming professionally for over 8 years, with the majority of experience being in C# and the .NET Framework. I've worked on everything from console applications and libraries to WPF Clients to ASP.NET MVC websites. I'm currently employed as a Microsoft CRM Dynamics developer. Other languages I'm competent in include Javascript and F#.

I'm essentially the "Head Forum Leader" for the C# forum, so you can contact me for anything related to that role. I can help you with writing tutorials, getting resources added to the C# Resources post, or even just finding more C#-related resources.

Glad to be helping you all out!

andrewsw

Hi,

I'm not a full-time C# developer, so won't have the deep levels of knowledge on some subjects that others here will have. I have wide experience though, with VB.NET, Python, Javascript, PHP, Java, VB6/VBA, SQL, Regex, Excel/Access, Solitaire.

Anyway, I can answer or contribute to most question that arise here. I'm particularly good at spotting mistakes or flaws in your code ;). Sometimes I can quickly scan code and see, almost immediately, where there is an error, or where an error is likely to be found. A coding clairvoyant, if you will.

The clearer the question you ask, the quicker I can see the answer!

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 09 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1