9 Replies - 3034 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# becoming obsolete ?

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:02 PM

French man from Qc,Canada here I need some profesional advices about C# and if it's a waste of time to learn OR what's the best way to learn it today in 2015 and avoid the legacy dying stuffs ? (Quick info about me : did C++ 12years ago, im a network guy who want to go back into programming, remember my concept pointers, class etc etc but I can study like 10hr's a day for 2 years before looking for programming jobs etc can I reach junior lv ?)

1) Is C# becoming slowly obsolete with the mobile revolution and the frontend client side who seem to go to Javascript/Html5 css... where .Net and C# in general will stand in all this a niche market for backend ?

2) Why some programmers told me that WindowsForms & WebForms are dying and Wpf future is uncertain ? Let's say I want to get back into programming and learn C# today in 2015 should I avoid all that gui stuff and just get a solid grasp of the language and jump to Asp.Net MVC 5-6 ? is it possible to program frontend and have a solid career and avoid .Net all together by doing html,css,javascript,angular etc etc ?

3) I am asking this because it seem the open source scene seem to be booming with Java, Ruby, Angular, Php and the server side too with apache etc where .Net stand (or compete) against thems ? can asp.net mvc 5-6 compete well ? or its mostly corporate stuff

4) on the Database side of things, what would be the ideal path for learning ? I seem very interested in programming database and do backend stuff compared the front end web dev stuff where that could lead me oracle, sql ado.net entity ?

5) is it possible to learn mostly everything or be like junior lv in front end web dev + database and destop applications ? my goals (before getting advices from programmers) was to learn C# 5.0 with VS 2013 do a few windows forms apps and jump to asp.net mvc and play with database

thanks have a nice day

Kevin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: C# becoming obsolete ?

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# becoming obsolete ?

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

Short answer, no it is not dying. It is still very prevalent and highly sought after.

Figure out what you want to do. Then pursue it. Languages come and go, you need to learn to think programmer, not learn a languages syntax. All languages are basically the same, the syntax is different, but they do the same thing (mostly). Learn database design if you have that interest, if you want to be a front-end web developer then learn html/css/ and javascript, no way around that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:32 AM

I think this was all covered pretty well in several other threads. For some reason people ask this regularly. I'm starting to think that the ability to perform a search is the skill that is dying.

There has to be at least 50 threads here for "What language should I learn?" I suggest you go back and read some of that very excellent advice.

http://www.dreaminco...1-is-wpf-dying/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

I have been a c# programmer for 10+ years now and I believe that c# is alive and thriving. In the corporate world, c# is used by a lot of larger companies and there is a daily need for c# programmers. I receive at least 4 to 5 calls or emails a month, sometimes more, from head hunters, corporate recruiters and IT staffing agencies looking for c# programmers. I live in a medium size town in the middle of the U.S so I would assume the demand would be greater in a large city. So that says a lot to the fact that c# is not becoming obsolete.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

I have to agree with the others, C# is very much growing especially in corporate circles. If you are doing .NET, 9 times out of 10 you are doing C#. In fact I am in the process of developing a new enterprise system that can be several million dollars in profit. It is being designed and written in C#. So it is definitely not obsolete and with the recent opening of the .NET framework to more systems, I anticipate C# to grow even more popular in the next few years.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Ah, but how much of that C# code is now relegated to back-end/back office operations? When was the last time you've written an Office addin that has gotten deployed to all desktops? When was the last time you had a full on Line of Business app the is used exclusively on the desktop and did not have a web equivalent? Most companies now tend to use a web front end, and that web front end uses Javascript and its spawn. Even, now some folks in my company are asking if we can set up IISNode for then in our IIS farm. Their justification is that they can just focus on Javascript development and not have to keep up with C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

I don't think you can generalize and say "most companies". That's a huge assumption across every industry. It might be true for insurance agents who live on the road and are constantly handling claims remotely for example, but maybe not so true for a business that engraves tombstones from a computer-controlled stone engraver. A warehouse palletizer application doesn't need to be a web app for example. It just needs to interface to the scale and other machine gear.

There are plenty of businesses that need applications that don't have real-time internet requirements.

I think its fair to say more businesses are finding ways to ADD internet capability to their existing needs. Hair salons do just fine with desktop scheduling applications. But some see that they can give the customer the ability to see a particular stylist's schedule and book their own appointment. And the stylist can view their schedule from home on their iPad as a web app.

But it all depends on the business. If its about pushing data then a web app is fine. But you are limited to least-common-denominator of features across all browsers, meaning you just can't have 'cutting edge' or 'high performance' in the app. You can off-load the work to a server, get all the performance of the server, then get the results back. But locally you're not doing the work. Frankly I like being able to work disconnected. I like being able to do my job even if I'm on a plane or my ISP is down. And a lot of businesses feel the same way.

I would also point out that as more businesses go on-line/webapp and so on we see more data breaches. I've read many statements about companies pulling back to localized programs as part of increased security measures.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

C# is the language of .NET. So, basically, as long as you have a Microsoft, you have C#.

I recently attended a Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 dog and pony show. I went because I was fascinated by the presentation lineup:
Microsoft Developer Day
08:45 Welcome & Introductions
09:00 Cloud-based Back-End Services on Microsoft Azure with LOB Integration
10:00 Break
10:15 Modern Web Development with ASP.NET
11:15 Visual Studio 2015 Productivity
12:15 Lunch Break
13:15 Cross Platform Javascript Applications with Apache Cordova
14:15 Break
14:30 Cross Platform C# Applications with Xamarin
15:30 Universal Windows App Development

The focus was on their cloud based services (Azure) and using C# for modern apps.

The thing that really blew me away was the radical changes to ASP.NET 5 projects, which has ditched XML in favor of JSON for config. The project .NET runtime has also been reworked to include just a core than can be deployed on Azure, Linux, Mac OS, in addition to IIS. Oh, and the build file for the new projects is gulp! In addition to NuGet, NodeJs npm and bower were being pushed for deployment.

I just spent the last week playing gulp tasks for a new ASP.NET MVC deployment. Note, the authentication for such projects has be retooled to use plugins like Facebook, Twitter, etc. ( Actually, NTLM had to be added, which was kind of annoying. )

In short, MS seems be making intelligent steps into the future. C# ain't going nowhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#9 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

I just wanted to clarify that when I said "web based" earlier I was not trying to say Internet facing exclusively. I was trying to say both internal facing and Internet facing. A lot of departments have bought into web services (and some of them still buy into SOA or its current incarnation), but from what I've seen, when they start thinking about offering web services, they also think of offering the user friendly interfaces as web pages rather than spinning up a desktop application. I assume that this is under the belief that if they are already offering something in IIS, they might as well keep everything in IIS and not have to worry about a server based security review as well as a desktop security review.

If you look at that course track from baavgai notice only the last two are looking towards desktops, and even that is diluted by trying to target mobile devices while at it.

Yes, C# will be around for quite a while, but I think that it may find more homes server side rather than on desktops. This is disappointing for me because my hopes were for C# to dominate on the desktop and displace C++ and Java. I was hoping that C# would be so ubuquitous that Javascript would be recognized for the toy language that it is and C# would also be the scripting language of the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 08 November 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

my hopes were for C# to dominate on the desktop and displace C++ and Java.

At this point two things dominate a Windows desktop, DirectX games and a browser. For rich client stuff, I think C# beats the other options hands down. However, that's not the environment that's winning. If it makes you feel any better, Java really gave up the desktop years ago.

View PostSkydiver, on 08 November 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

Javascript would be recognized for the toy language that it is

Learn to love the Javascript! Like other languages that can't even be killed with fire, Javascript is here to stay. On the up side, the Visual Studio tools for JS do seem to be getting better. A little. As much as can be expected.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1