11 Replies - 3100 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help: Did your children become IT Professionals like you?

Post icon  Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

I have always walked very lightly around the subject of following in my footsteps but honestly a programmers life is a good life I want that for my son. My son was interested when he was 15 but he tried Java as a first language and then started struggling hard. I tried, when he was struggling, to get him to install Visual Studio and start with Visual Basic. But I think I dropped the ball there I should have helped with Java and he gave up. Now he has graduated high school and he told me he is interested in IT but he is unsure what role he wants to play. So I am excited I don't mind if it Systems Admin, Network Admin, we will have common dialog forever... So I am afraid to push him at all I have only asked him in passing if he has considered any languages to play with and he still wants Java. So I learned Java just in case so I can be sure to have answers this time. I know I am not supposed to spoon feed, and I won't, but this time right before total frustration my plan is to go ahead and give him the answers.

Anyone have some advice?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Help: Did your children become IT Professionals like you?

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help: Did your children become IT Professionals like you?

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Don't give him the answers. Push him towards problems and learning. Ultimately, he is the one that needs to learn and be successful. Your job as a parent is to prepare your son to fend for himself, right? As a programmer yourself, you know that struggling through problems is part of the learning process.

I think if he's interested in IT, encourage him to pick up whatever language is being taught in the Intro class when he goes to college (assuming he's going to college). That way, he is ahead of the game for that class. Then help him find a book and some fun problems, then step out of the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Not here as much anymore
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

I was drawn to computers as soon as the TRS-80 model 1 came out. Maybe that was because home computers were a totally new thing. Today they are just home appliances like toasters. Many devices have web servers built in to them for configuration which would have been unheard of years ago. So computers don't really hold the mystique they did when we were kids. Today many young people see working with computer networks in the same light we saw working at the phone company: Just another utility. Today managing a TV cable network, phone cable network, internet network... Well, its all really converging to the same thing isn't it?

My son was drawn to civil engineering. He completed 3 out of 4 years of his degree then left the program (for which I could have strangled him). He loves tech, but as a user not as a developer. Today he is one of the youngest loan officers that bank has and is about to become a branch manager of his own branch.

There is a part of me that would have liked if he followed in my footsteps. But I'm proud of him for blazing his own trail. He had the inner strength to not cave in to my gentle pushing of military then computers. He followed his own inner voice instead of mine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I am afraid to push him so I am going to only answer questions not ask them anymore. He did choose computer science that's how I know what he is planning. He was going to be a welder but he changed his mind now that he is working a job doing it. I have to let go now and let him fly..

Thanks and I am still reading even if I don't reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hello,

I'm 23 year old and have no kids, however I can comment from your child's perspective.

My brother is an IT professional, and has been since I was leaving school and going to college. As all young brothers, I looked up to my older brother and went off to study Computing in college, the problem is though, my heart wasn't in it. I went off to work in a call center and its not until the last couple of years I realized my passion for programming and things as such, I'm still a novice and just finished my first year at University in Computer Science.

The best advice I could give, let him/her discover their own path. If they want to become IT professionals, they will find out in the end... I did ;)

Anyway, I hope you and your children have a fantastic life!

All the best,
James
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

What did your dad do for a living? I enjoy what I do but I wouldn't wish this on anyone who didn't have an interest in the field and a drive to learn more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

NO My oldest ever since he was about 4 always wanted to be an aerospace engineer and is currently looking into colleges for that. My youngest wants to be a chocolate producer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm not here to twist your niblets
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

I'd volunteer to be a chocolate taster

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Chocolate producer reminds me of the old playground limerick of "milk, milk, lemonade.. around the corner fudge is made". Obligatory music video from Amy Schumer - Milk Milk Lemonade.

... and because I can't stop with just one - hopefully s/he can start higher up than the lowly packer and work their way up to fudge producer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

I have always been of the opinion that one should attempt to make a career doing what they love to do. I was studying electrical engineering when I took my first computer programing class and fell in love. Now more than 41 years later I still look forward to going to work and programming.

My oldest daughter became an actor and now works in a food co-op and loves it. To attempt to force her to program would have caused both of us to enter hell.

My youngest daughter does do web hosting working with HTML, cutting and pasting Javascript. She never asked me for help, nor did I attempt to teach or mentor her. She does this as a hobby. I think she enjoys it that way and realizes that doing it for a living would take the fun out of it.

Bottom line, encourage your children to try different things and find something they love doing. Stability and money is secondary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

I think the best thing a parent can do is merely offer a child a particular set of tools, and then observe what their children do with those tools and accept the outcome unconditionally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Don't feed him with food ... but with questions ...

That will cause him to have motivation ...

This post has been edited by general656: 01 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1