4 Replies - 250 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where do developers get their servers for chatrooms/etc(s)...

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:47 PM

shoutboxes and all of that?

Like for instance, lets say I'm making a chatroom which would host about 30 or so people then where do people get a server or something to host it with? Is there a free option or a super cheap option?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where do developers get their servers for chatrooms/etc(s)...

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where do developers get their servers for chatrooms/etc(s)...

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

You can make your own, or find a hosting that specifically caters to it. Servers cost money, and getting your own can be as expensive or a cheap as you think you can deal with but the hardware will be scaled with it. Cloud based servers like Azure or AWS are there, as are general VPS hosting offered by a ton of sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 June 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

You can make your own, or find a hosting that specifically caters to it. Servers cost money, and getting your own can be as expensive or a cheap as you think you can deal with but the hardware will be scaled with it. Cloud based servers like Azure or AWS are there, as are general VPS hosting offered by a ton of sites.
What is you want something that will only have like 50-100 people chatting on it? Like a chat-program that just sends msgs. and nothing else really? Does it really require such a huge investment like $100 or something or can you get something for free?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:52 PM

Well you can certainly build an online chat room using free hosting companies. You can build chat rooms using javascript (like node.js) or go server-side with things like PHP or ASP.NET. But one thing to keep in mind, investing in good servers and hosting companies usually pays dividends in quality, uptime, service and stability. Don't skimp out if you can afford a few bucks. Nice hosts can be had for as little as 5-10 bucks a month. Better ones are in the 15-30 range. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

I don't know what your ultimate goal is here or if you know about IRC, but IRC is free. You don't necessarily have to have your own server and you can setup private chat rooms and such. You can get freeware IRC client programs for everyone. I had a group many years ago that met once a week like this.

The client software may find servers for you. I'm sure if you Google a bit you can find public servers where you can setup private chat rooms if you like. IRC is generally so resource light that it's no big deal to setup your own private channel on someone else's server. It's probably a university computer or something where they don't mind making it available to the public.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1