2 Replies - 2219 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

CodePhage [link]

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

MIT's CodePhage

This actually scares me. Not because I think it will work, but because others think it will.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CodePhage [link]

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CodePhage [link]

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have to admit, I checked the publication date to make sure it wasn't something released on the first of April.

Sounds pretty whacko to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CodePhage [link]

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

To me it sounds almost like the logical next step. Microsoft's BBT already does binary code (and static resource) rearrangement and merging based on profile runs of typical usage. It's almost a logical what-if the profile runs differed between causes a crash or does not cause a crash.

Do I believe whether it'll be practically available with little to know tweaking in the next 2-3 years? Probably not. In the next 10 years, possibly.

For me, the three things that are interesting for me should this become reality will be:
- Can this be done at run time post install, rather than at compile/link/build time?
- If at runtime, does that mean an app installed on one machine will behave differently from another machine without a potential donor?
- What are the open source and closed source licensing implications? Since the source code is not consulted but actual binary blocks, can you legally take code from closed source applications. For example, can you crib the "good" Excel file reader from Office even if you build with a "bad" Excel file reader in libraries?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1