Electronic Arts ... Impossible goal

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1609 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Electronic Arts ... Impossible goal

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

Why is it so damn difficult to get an entry level grad position at companies like Electronic Arts and Crystal Dynamics and Nether realm studios it seems like all they hire are perfect people who have it all top notch school, programming genius intellect, knowing people in the field. Ive tried many times as a new grad and a long shot at best to get an interview but it seems like i get the same old computerized message every time i know i dont have any of those qualifications or experience but when i see all these videos of all these new grads getting these positions it makes me feel low and how in the name of all that is holy did they get those positions in the first place.

Here is an example of the same computerized message i always get when applying for these ENTRY LEVEL positions.

Dear Anthony :
Thank you for applying to the Software Engineer (University Grad) position. We appreciate your interest in the role, however, this position had a candidate identified for hire prior to your application arriving.
We encourage you to set up job alerts, check the website often, and apply for other positions of interest to you.
Regards,
The Global Recruiting Team at EA

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Electronic Arts ... Impossible goal

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Electronic Arts ... Impossible goal

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Well for one thing, you don't want to work for EA. Believe me. EA is a big presence here in Vancouver and they really have a bad shop from what I have been told on multiple occasions. So consider it a blessing.

As for entry level positions in a lot of tech jobs, just because you are a grad doesn't mean anything to some of these companies. They want to see your work, they want to see you doing new and interesting things. They want to see you do hard things and fail more than simple things and succeeding. Before approaching these big companies, try small shops and offer to internship for free if you can, dirt cheap if you must. You want to be building experience. You want to go to an EA and say "Oh yeah I built this level in the next iteration of The Division or I helped XYZ shop achieve much faster frame rates due to a new algorithm I introduced."

Portfolios are your friend. If you don't have one, better start building one. Show some incredible stuff and work hard. In the gaming industry experience and talent are everything. :)

P.S. Part of the crap shoot that is EA is that they tend to be very political and they might have put out that job offer because they must, but already had someone internal in mind for the position. I know that some companies have to still post a job opening even if they plan to fill it internally.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 06 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 06 July 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

Well for one thing, you don't want to work for EA. Believe me. EA is a big presence here in Vancouver and they really have a bad shop from what I have been told on multiple occasions. So consider it a blessing.

As for entry level positions in a lot of tech jobs, just because you are a grad doesn't mean anything to some of these companies. They want to see your work, they want to see you doing new and interesting things. They want to see you do hard things and fail more than simple things and succeeding. Before approaching these big companies, try small shops and offer to internship for free if you can, dirt cheap if you must. You want to be building experience. You want to go to an EA and say "Oh yeah I built this level in the next iteration of The Division or I helped XYZ shop achieve much faster frame rates due to a new algorithm I introduced."

Portfolios are your friend. If you don't have one, better start building one. Show some incredible stuff and work hard. In the gaming industry experience and talent are everything. :)/>

P.S. Part of the crap shoot that is EA is that they tend to be very political and they might have put out that job offer because they must, but already had someone internal in mind for the position. I know that some companies have to still post a job opening even if they plan to fill it internally.

Thank you for your much appreciated advise on this subject i continually contemplate in my mind. I figured they were perfect people who got these prestigious jobs in the software world. I know it takes extremely hard work to get noticed in this field making something think outside the box and so on. In addition from what i found out it takes experience over schooling in most companies i agree a bachelors or even a masters don't mean crap now a days.

It just seems that most companies in the software field ask for so much or very little for entry level positions and give you the ultimatim of you either are not qualified or the biggest excuse of them all EXPIERIENCE

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

i agree a bachelors or even a masters don't mean crap now a days.

Eh, not really. Sure, you can't ride on a degree alone. However, a degree provides a lot of the theory and critical thinking skills you'll want with software engineering. It gives you an eye for complexity and efficiency, as well as helps you stretch your brain in a creative problem solving direction. This is, of course, assuming you have put the effort in to get something out of it.

A Master's degree has one of two tracks- the coursework track or the thesis/research track. Either way, you really sharpen your tools and develop significant expertise in an area with a Master's degree.

It just seems that most companies in the software field ask for so much or very little for entry level positions and give you the ultimatim of you either are not qualified or the biggest excuse of them all EXPIERIENCE

This is why students are encouraged to apply for internships while in school- to gain experience. It's not impossible to get an entry level position without an internship, but it's definitely harder. As Martyr2 said- go for an internship if you're struggling to get a job. Also, chances are, wherever you end up working for a career, you'll be challenged and have opportunities to grow/learn. There are lots of smart people at big companies, as well as at smaller companies. Perhaps focus less on being the next rockstar programmer and more on just being good at what you do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:52 AM

mod: please do not quote the post above yours

Yes i agree i have my bachelors in software engineering and while i was in school i applied for internships and they still gave me the not enough experience BS i continually hear on a daily from these companies. I don't know ill just have to keep trying again and again.

Thanks for the advise

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 07 July 2015 - 08:56 AM
Reason for edit:: removed giant quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:00 AM

I'll go ahead and move this to the Corner Cubicle, since this isn't a Game Development question.

Perhaps stop applying only to companies like EA, Microsoft, Google, etc. There are lots of development positions out there.

You might also take a look at how you're presenting yourself and tweak accordingly. I'd sit down with someone and go over your resume, portfolio, cover letter, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

The game industry is a tough market to crack because so many people think if they play video games then how hard can it be to make on.. so there is a flood of people all.. the.. time. Unless you have some serious stand out sizzle (made a game, portfolio, unique skills, connections, etc) expect quite a bit of rejection. If you believe you have experience, but are being shut down for the lack there of, then consider retooling your resume and ask for some help from other folk in the rewrite.

http://www.indeed.co...loper-jobs.html
http://www.careerbui.../game-developer
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 07 July 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'll go ahead and move this to the Corner Cubicle, since this isn't a Game Development question.

Perhaps stop applying only to companies like EA, Microsoft, Google, etc. There are lots of development positions out there.

You might also take a look at how you're presenting yourself and tweak accordingly. I'd sit down with someone and go over your resume, portfolio, cover letter, etc.

Okay well i had my resume tweaked already have a software position i was just asking for simple input and advice believe me i applied more than just your typical big name companies.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Sounds like you'll get some of that experience then. If you're still interested in these other positions in a couple years, you should be in a better position to re-apply. Best of luck! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 07 July 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

Sounds like you'll get some of that experience then. If you're still interested in these other positions in a couple years, you should be in a better position to re-apply. Best of luck! :)/>

Thank you after i get at least 5 years under my belt with Syntel Software inc and earn senior level status then ill reapply and see what happens or just make the company ill start soon a lifetime career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostAnthonyMcqueen21, on 06 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Why is it so damn difficult to get an entry level grad position at companies like Electronic Arts

Simply put, they hire developers (& other staff) to turn their toolset into money. The gaming industry is an incredibly competitive market & they don't have time for you to learn on the job.

View PostAnthonyMcqueen21, on 06 July 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

Here is an example of the same computerized message i always get when applying for these ENTRY LEVEL positions.

Seems you bolded 'entry level' to indicate your frustrations that you feel you should be qualified for this/these positions. You are an entry level programmer, not an entry level game developer. What gaming development experience do you have? Programming is no linear. A person whom is a senior applications developer will not be at the same level if they switched to web development.

Have you had a look over the job requirements for where you are applying? It is my understanding that an entry level developer for EA is going to require being on a team with multiple title releases.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

mod: please do not quote the post above yours. Use the 'reply' button and not the 'quote reply'
---

Yes well for one thing i dont expect anything handed to me. I rather earn the positions and i already did with some other company im grateful to get. I was just explaining like many other aspiring developers out there get frustrated about but honestly im over it and moving on to bigger things instead of getting all hung up on the past. After i gain some experience then will see but until then im grateful to be a software engineer for Syntel inc.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 07 July 2015 - 10:18 AM
Reason for edit:: removed unnecessary quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

As already stated, build your portfolio! Not just work stuff, as you can't always use that, side projects, projects for fun, contribute to open-source.

And I really don't know how you can get that upset when you apply to a position, where you state you don't have the qualifications OR experience they are looking for, and be upset when they don't hire you.

Glad you have a position in the field. That alone takes work. Refine what you do know and nurture what you don't, because there is A LOT you do not know and the more you learn, the more you realize it. Schools have a habit of making you think you are ready for a position when the companies that do the hiring disagree. You can fight it all you want, but the person signing the check has the choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hello i was wondering is there such a thing as a genius programmer in today's age or any time someone who is a programming god it just clicks or is it a myth ?

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

Kind of beating this topic into the ground. I'll merge this into your existing thread on the same topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +