4 Replies - 234 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Guess I will start here!

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hi. So this is where we talk about ourself right?

I'm turning 29 in october and ive spent a large bulk of my early adulthood having no clue or direction of what i want to do with my life I'm sad to say. I have as many jobs under my belt as years ive been in the workforce. But one thing I've always regretted is not knowing what I want to do. After a long (and i do mean probably nearly a year) of serious contemplation I feel software development or some related field would be awesome. This was one of those things growing up i didnt know existed at all. I come from a really small hick town, nobody in higschool or even my communmity college said, uttered, or brought up software development to me. I found out on my own at 27! One of those things where you just never thought about it until you read about it type of thing.

So why did i join this forum? Well to be honest i was struggling to find helpful information regarding such a career. I also am in a bit of a situation im sure not unique but still worth mentioning. Im almost 29, have a fiance, i moved with her 2500 miles away from home to do a backbreaking no experience required physical labor summer job to make enough money to get married (also we like the area, outside of portland oregon). So i have to somehow figure out how to get into this career while not becoming homeless (cost of living sucks out here ill say that much).

im probably going to immediatly stop off at another section and ask these questions :), glad to be here

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Guess I will start here!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Guess I will start here!

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hello ClintonFaber!

It is good to hear that you are making these changes at a young age. I didn't change my career until recently and I am in my 40's now. There is a free website that can get you started and you can earn badges to show your accomplishments: http://www.codecademy.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

i actually have a account on there as well as one on khanacademy :)

teaching yourself is one thing, but is that really enough?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageClintonFaber

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dishonored
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

First and foremost, understand that programming has little to do with syntax or the language used. For every problem faced, you could use almost every language to solve.

Programming in a nutshell, is logic, understanding of the problem, and being able to break complex problems down into manageable pieces.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1