4 Replies - 259 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Freshly graduated Computer Science. Seeking some specific guidance

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hello guys,

Firstly, I hope I am not posting in a wrong place. Feel free to move my thread somewhere else if you consider doing so :)

I am a 23 year old guy, just graduated Computer Science, avid to expand my knowledge base in this field. I am very interested in mobile development, Android development to be more precise. Besides being passionate about this field and having a strong belief that this is (a part of) the future of software development, I also have some ideas of apps which I think they could become successful.

Even though I have a diploma in software development, unfortunately the educational system in my country is really really poor. So what we learnt during university is either old, or unnecessary or both (of course I am a bit exaggerating, there were also interesting and useful courses, but very few, and none about mobile development).

So why I am writing this to you ? Well, I am looking for some guidance, specific guidance, in this journey I want to start. I need to learn a lot of things, things which you would probably see as basic knowledge which I should have known after 4 years of university. Unfortunately, some websites or advice like “read about that” won’t help very much. I am seeking for specific guidance, if someone is keen to offer it to me.

I need to review my knowledge about OOP (we’ve only studied OOP in C++, which isn’t very cool, and a very short course of Java). I want to learn about design patterns and modern database programming. Or other basic but important topics that you could recommend to me. After I accumulate some solid knowledge about these things, and other things that you consider important for any good programmer to know, I need to start learning Android development and any other things which would be very important and go hand in hand with Android development.

To give some extra information, I have access to a standard Pluralsight subscription, I have the C# 4.0 Complete Reference and Java Complete Reference from Herbert Schild. I also have some little experience with developing Windows Forms apps in C#.

With the risk of repeating myself, I seek for some specific advice, like “read this book about this subject”, “watch this tutorial about this subject” etc.

I thank you all in advance !

Have a nice day !

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Freshly graduated Computer Science. Seeking some specific guidance

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Freshly graduated Computer Science. Seeking some specific guidance

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

I need to review my knowledge about OOP (we’ve only studied OOP in C++, which isn’t very cool, and a very short course of Java). I want to learn about design patterns and modern database programming

There are oodles of books on these topics. I typically search for a given topic, sort by release date (newest first), eyeball the stars, check the reviews, and then look at the index (if they can) to make sure I cover my bases.

In general check out the 'software dev' pinned threads.

Example:
http://www.dreaminco...ost__p__2008649

With the risk of repeating myself, I seek for some specific advice, like “read this book about this subject”, “watch this tutorial about this subject” etc.

You are asking people to give you a specific curriculum on anything computers and anything android? That's a little broad. I would take stock of what you do know, tinker on some projects (we have project lists for ideas) and then read up/self study on topics from books with good reviews. At some point you are going to have to get off the hand holding of a classroom and figure out how to learn independent of another's structure and forge your own path.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Given that you have a CS degree, I would expect you at least to be able to formulate specific questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageTheZen

Hello TheZen. Welcome.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostTheZen, on 15 July 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

...Java Complete Reference from Herbert Schild.

Awesome book, highly recommended to anyone needing a good reference material book. Own it myself.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1