5 Replies - 1140 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

What Language Should I Look In To?

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Hey guys, I've done some looking around on Google but I respect your guys' opinions and I figured I would come on here and ask. I play Diablo 3 and am going to make a website for our clan. When I was in middle school and MySpace was cool, I taught myself HTML and CSS and made awesome DIV overlay profiles haha. I have some knowledge of those two, and it would be easy to pick them back up somewhat. My question is about what language I should look into for making a pretty cool website. I think I'm slightly confused on what I'm reading, for example: I know there are many web languages, such as PHP, Ruby, CSS, HTML, and more. Well does every site start with HTML and then those languages add to it, or could I actually learn Ruby and program an entire website in it, or even in Javascript? I would appreciate any info on this, because what I'm reading is just confusing me when it comes down to what I would do with an actual language.

Edit: Also, I guess I would need to buy a hosting service. Is it bad to ask about some of your opinions on that type of stuff in the forums?

This post has been edited by ChrispyChris: 19 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Language Should I Look In To?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What Language Should I Look In To?

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Html is not programming, all you do is create adesign. For the accuall functionallity you need js, python, java, php etc. Doesnt blizzard have so you can create free clan pages? With a forum and all
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Ahh, well I may look into Javascript, but I just don't know which way to go so I figured I would ask for some opinions of how people feel about each one.

I'm not sure, but I want to do it myself, as a reason to learn a new language and get into the web side of things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

The basic front end stuff you'll need would be HTML, CSS, and Javascript. (you can get fancier, but this is the core of the front end)
HTML these days is mostly used in concert with dynamic content that's either retrieved from a database or calculated, or some combination of the two. In order to talk to the database, you'd need way to parse requests, pose the appropriate queries to the DB, and form a reply. The correct way to do this would be with a language/framework combination like Django/Python and Ruby on Rails. There is still a lot of PHP out there, but it's pretty much a dead language - it just hasn't stopped moving yet. For more enterprisey stuff, you might consider Java or .NET, but django and rails are the two main contenders I'm seeing these days.

Edit: Also, I guess I would need to buy a hosting service. Is it bad to ask about some of your opinions on that type of stuff in the forums?

This is a little sticky. We don't really know what your needs are, so it's hard to recommend anything that will work for you particularly, and there are so many hosting services, it's impossible to do a responsible job of reviewing them here.
While you're learning, I suggest you work on your localhost - no need to blow dollars showing off your helloworld sites. After you get some chops, you might consider trying to work on some project that would allow you access to more experienced developers, which would give you a chance to see what matters first hand, without having to make all of the mistakes for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Thank you jon, that helps me out a bit more. I'm definitely going to brush up on my HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Then I think I'll look into Ruby on Rails. I also planned on just playing around for free before actually getting something hosted. I appreciate your response man, thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:49 AM

Note that you'll probably want to familiarise yourself with the basics of Ruby, before diving into Rails (the same would be true of any combination of language and framework, really).
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1