Programming on a mac

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 579 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming on a mac

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

I'm going to order a mac laptop to do some programming on and just wondered if I can code .net applications on it? I would like to program C#, python, C++ and just wanted to know if it's possible on a mac?

Is the mac Xcode IDE what people use mostly on mac?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming on a mac

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming on a mac

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

Straight out of the box, no, not really. There is 'vs code'... An IDE for mac, but it is not as full ordered as windows VS.

https://www.visualst...ts/code-vs.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 July 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Straight out of the box, no, not really. There is 'vs code'... An IDE for mac, but it is not as full ordered as windows VS.

https://www.visualst...ts/code-vs.aspx

Thanks. So I can just use Visual Studio for mac then? I would prefer to use just one IDE and heard good things about Xcode and Monodevelop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

There's also the Bootcamp option, or using VMFusion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

So I can just use Visual Studio for mac then?

As I said, no, not out of the box. There is a variant of Visual Studios called 'Visual Studios Code' which is being developed as their 'off windows brand OS IDE'.. straight up Visual Studios won't run on a Mac (natively)..

IDE and heard good things about Xcode and Monodevelop.

Okay.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 July 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

There is a variant of Visual Studios called 'Visual Studios Code'

This is what I meant, Microsoft Visual Code. Thanks I'll check it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

"Code" isn't really a variant of Visual Studio. They're built on a completely different "engine". They're both "IDEs", but Code is extremely lightweight, and is designed around making web applications (though it can do more than that). It doesn't come with the .NET SDK or anything like that. Think of VS Code as an advanced text editor, not a lightweight Visual Studio. I mean, even the keybinds are completely different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

Certainly.. now it is, but I believe they are angling to expand it out to be more well rounded.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

I'm going to second Skydiver's advice.

You would probably be better off booting your macintosh into Windows. You can do that on a Mac. You can install Bootcamp, designate a drive for Windows and install.
Personally I would say install Windows10 since it's the new OS that will be coming on new PC's and therefore the OS you need to target.
Then install Visual Studio and so on.

Take a look at FAQ 46 below - It outlines what's installed on my Development machines. I'm not saying every developer has the same thing - but it's a peek into what one guy has.

tlhIn`toq's FAQ list

Learning to debug one's own code is an essential skill. Sadly, one that apparently few college courses teach. Silly if you ask me.
Placing breakpoints and walking through the code line by line allows you to actually WATCH it execute, check the condition of each of variable's run-time value, and watch the logic unfold right before your eyes.
Visualizing what your code does will let you see why it behaves the way it does.
It would be well worth your time to do the tutorials on FAQ 2. A couple hours learning this skill will save you hundreds of hours of confusion in one project alone.

In addition to FAQ 2 in the list below, also check my signature block for a link on how to look at your variables' values at run-time.

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated July 2013
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 July 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

Thanks for the great post.

I would like to actually learn the mac os so I would prefer not to install bootcamp.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:17 AM

Then why are you worried about Visual Studio? XCode is the IDE for developing Macintosh software on a Macintosh. And its FREE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Well, he mentioned he wanted to use .NET, if possible. I understand that kind of question; not everyone is going to want to switch and learn a completely different, new language just because they switched platforms.

If you're just looking to learn how to program on a Mac, I personally would suggest learning Swift and going that route, with XCode, because it's designed for OSX/iOS development. But only because there's Swift, and from the documentation I've read Swift looks like a very nice language with a lot of great features. I wouldn't wish Objective-C (the OSX/iOS language of choice before Swift) on anyone.

But if you are interested in seeing how to do .NET programming on OSX, then I'd say look into the Mono project for now; that's your best bet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

I have a hunch...

The Chief: Are you aware that Windows and Macintosh programs don't get developed in the same language, generally speaking?
Are you aware that .NET is native to Windows and any support for it in other languages is pretty much third-part ports of it, and therefore not as robust?
Basisically I'm asking how much do you really understand about the differences between the two operating systems and the development of programs for them? Because it sounds like you picked the Macintosh to own because you like it, its hip, its cool, whatever... THEN decided to pick .NET because maybe you see lots of job posts for it on places like Monster and CareerBuilder. So I'm just wondering how much of your questions are based on understanding and how much is based on guesses and assumptions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 21 July 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

I have a hunch...

The Chief: Are you aware that Windows and Macintosh programs don't get developed in the same language, generally speaking?
Are you aware that .NET is native to Windows and any support for it in other languages is pretty much third-part ports of it, and therefore not as robust?
Basisically I'm asking how much do you really understand about the differences between the two operating systems and the development of programs for them? Because it sounds like you picked the Macintosh to own because you like it, its hip, its cool, whatever... THEN decided to pick .NET because maybe you see lots of job posts for it on places like Monster and CareerBuilder. So I'm just wondering how much of your questions are based on understanding and how much is based on guesses and assumptions.

I've yet to buy the mac and I just wanted a nice laptop to program in as I'm getting bored of sitting at the desk all day, would prefer to sit on the couch or on my bed for example. All I know about mac and windows is mac is like linux, it's unix so it has different architecture?

Anyway it's not a big deal, I did list several languages so if C# isn't possible I can just program C++, Python or even Java. It's not a problem really if I can't program C#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:57 PM

Forgive my bluntness (or don't)... Get used to working like a grown up. Last I checked few companies had beds for you to lounge on while working. Not to mention that most development machines are hooked up to enough pieces of equipment that you can't just go flop on the sofa. Nor should you be splitting your attention between learning and TV: That never works well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +