Programming on a mac

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 2064 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Programming on a mac

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

I'm sorry TlhIn but you don't know the first thing about me or about my personal circumstances. I have a job, I'm a shelf filler in a supermarket (glamorous I know) but I am learning programming as a hobby when I'm not working.

I've been doing fine for the past few months but programming at my desk for hours on end can become a little tiresome so in the comfort of my own home I would like to work in comfort, if that's ok with you of course.

If someone was paying me £25k a year to sit at a desk and program then yes I would have no problem with it but it would be nice to take my code to the couch or bed every once in a while. Thanks for your earlier help.

This post has been edited by The Chief: 21 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'm not looking to argue with you. You say you could sit at a desk for hours only if someone pays you enough for it. I've done this for decades and I'll tell you from experience that this, combined with you not caring which language you learn or which platform you code on, sounds like someone that isn't truly passionate about coding. Everyone I know that loves coding knows what platform they are drawn to, and is so caught up in coding they don't even notice they are at a desk until 12 hours have gone by in an instant and they're hungry and thirsty. They know all the ins and outs of every aspect because they read every magazine on it since they were 10 years old. Computers and coding were their hobbies long before they were a career choice. That clearly doesn't sound like you based on your pasts here so far.

Most coders I know that are actually good at what they do, would do it for free if they could find a way to put food on the table. You're saying you could do it at a desk, if someone paid you enough to make it worth your while. That's going to get real old real fast and you're going to be miserable long before you're an old man. That's a horrible way to live.

Take a tip from an old man that's been developing longer than you've been alive - If you aren't any more passionate about coding that what you seem to be portraying here - If its not something you eat, sleep, live and breath - Then don't do it. Find something that you ARE that passionate about. Find a way to earn a living doing what you love. Don't try to find a way to love some career you wrongly choose because your dad talked you into it, or because you thought it would be a clean indoor job in the air conditioning, or because you saw a news report saying software development is a high paying job. If you LOVE photography then do that, or baking, or driving, or developing water filter for 3rd world nations... Whatever you love, find a way to make that your career.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

While I appreciate your enthusiasm for programming the advice you're giving now is just ridiculous. I've been programming for about 4 months and I'm enjoying it enough that I would like to purchase a laptop so I can program in comfort a bit more. What you're effectively saying is "Don't learn to paint unless you're going to buy the best brushes, live, breath and sleep art, know your textures and your pastels like the back of your hand and buy only the most perfect of canvases"

Why can't someone learn a hobby without jumping into it with two feet and suddenly their lives revolve around that hobby? You're right, I'm not passionate about it, I've not been doing it long enough to fall in love with it. Sometimes I would rather play a game or watch a movie than program.

So far I've dabbled in Python and C++, of these two I think I enjoyed C++ more but that doesn't mean next week I'm going to go and get a C++ developer job. I very well expect to be learning a number of languages over the next few years before I even consider getting a job in programming, if I ever get good enough.

I'm still in the phase of deciding which language I like most. I certainly hope to try Ruby, Java, C# and maybe a web based language like php or expand my python knowledge with django or something.

Without being rude it seems a bit like you've drifted off into the abyss with regards to how programming can be regarded as a popular hobby, not just as a career path. Some people don't want careers in programming, I'm undecided yet, Ive simply not been doing it long enough to know if I even like it that much I want a career doing it.

This post has been edited by The Chief: 21 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

You're completely right. I did assume your interest in coding was career oriented, as nearly all of the rookies asking questions here are learning it for a career: That's simply what the demographic is here. Since you didn't specify that your interest was just casual goofing around I did make the assumption you were looking at it for a job. My mistake.
<unsubscribing from thread>

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +