13 Replies - 1252 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Tablet or Laptop?!

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Sorry if I'm blowing up this forum with topics, but hopefully everyone isn't just seeing them all as spam or anything :online2long:.

To the point: I have a nice PC I built for gaming and all that fun stuff, but I want something to kind of play around with more and be able to bring to work and stuff like that. Now I am fairly sure I want a Windows operating system, just because I definitely won't do iOS because of how hard it can be to do anything on them. As for Android, I just want something more "computer-ish." Hopefully that makes sense. I want it to be able to run things fairly quickly, as I will probably have Photoshop on there and some other programs eventually. The Surface Pro 3 did catch my attention, but I know a laptop obviously will be stronger at processing things and probably at a much cheaper price. Although, if there are some good Windows tablets that I haven't heard of that could compete with a laptop, without being outrageous, I would be interested to hear you're take on it.

Do any of you guys run a tab or laptops aside from your main computer? What do you do on this second unit? Do you like it or wish you could have gone the other route?

I would love hearing your responses! Thanks!

This post has been edited by ChrispyChris: 20 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tablet or Laptop?!

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tablet or Laptop?!

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

You can get a laptop-tablet convertible. That might be the best of both worlds. I enjoyed the tablet functionality for doing math on Paint, drawing finite state machines, etc. However, I don't like being constrained to a tablet and preferred the laptop functionality for most other uses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Do any of you guys run a tab or laptops aside from your main computer?

My laptop *is* my main development PC.
I also have a tower PC that is the household server. I wouldn't consider it my 'main' machine because it is really just a data storehouse, source code control server and so on.

Today's laptops are very powerful. I run my with two internal hard drives, 32gig ram, 2 external 24" monitors in addition to the built-in display for a total of 3 monitors.

If I were buying one today I'd make sure to get a multi-touch screen so I can code for gestures without an external touch tablet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

FYI - the Surface Pro 3 *IS* a laptop. It's not a tablet in the sense of an iPAD, Surface, or Nexus10. The SP3 is a full blown OS, functionality, etc shoved into a tablet-ish body.

You will not be able to run a full version of photoshop on a classic tablet (again, iPad, Surface RT, Nexus10, etc). You would need a laptop or convertible laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Given that it can take a decent SSD drive I'd almost agree its a laptop. But I can't get behind the cost at $1200 for a machine with 256gig and 8 gig ram. My HP laptop was 4 times the power both in RAM and CPU for $800.

For that cost you could buy a Macintosh laptop, install bootcamp, be able to boot into MacOS and Windows OS, and be able to develop natively for either operating system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 July 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

I also have a tower PC that is the household server. I wouldn't consider it my 'main' machine because it is really just a data storehouse, source code control server and so on.

Today's laptops are very powerful. I run my with two internal hard drives, 32gig ram, 2 external 24" monitors in addition to the built-in display for a total of 3 monitors.

If I were buying one today I'd make sure to get a multi-touch screen so I can code for gestures without an external touch tablet.

I am like you. I use my laptop for everything, and probably will not ever go back to using a standard desktop. Even though this Dell has a few years on it, it still accomplishes everything I need it to do, besides play the latest games, but that is no big deal at the moment. You said you run 2 monitors on your laptop? Wow I am kind of behind on technology lol, I did not know that was possible yet. Now I never need a lame ol' tower again haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 July 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Do any of you guys run a tab or laptops aside from your main computer?

Wow, you sound like you have quite a beast over there! You mind posting all your specs? I know you posted a couple, but I'm curious to price out what you have to a T and then change some things around. A laptop is sounding much more enticing. I just need to make sure to build more of a monster this time, last laptop was old old old and weak.

Thanks everyone else for your two cents!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

Nintendo 3ds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostChrispyChris, on 20 July 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Wow, you sound like you have quite a beast over there! You mind posting all your specs?

HP Pavilion 17" CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC. Its a few years old now and the newer models are a bit more powerful but this is running Windows10 RTM just fine. I picked it out for its CPU's, chipset, video card (Nvidia GT630m), and two drive bays. The chipset and video card make it Hackintosh capable (Yes I can natively boot to an external USB3 drive with MacOS on it but it took me tens of hours to make that work.) I have a real Mac on my desk but don't want to fly with two laptops. And I wanted the BluRay burner so I could make back-up discs of meaningful size.

From the HP site this laptop was near two grand. I found a factory refurb on Amazon.com for $800 with full warranty. It had a smaller HDD and memory than I spec'd out on the HP site, but who cares because you can order those things cheap online. Recently I replaced the boot HDD with an SSD and it made a notable speed difference. The primary drive is just for OS and applications. The second drive is for documents/data. Orderly and easy to back-up.

The two external monitors are:
One on the built-in HDMI port. That monitor can only be landscape because it has to match the built-in LCD.
One on a USB3->HDMI adapter.
Never under estimate the productivity boost of multiple monitors. You save so much time not dicking around with open/close/moving pallets. Its so nice to have a portrait mode monitor for code, and a 3rd monitor just for the application being debugged while not overlapping your Visual Studio.

Display control panel:
Spoiler

3screens at 25%
Spoiler

3screens at 100%
Spoiler

When sitting on my desk it connects through a KVM so I can share a monitor, a common keyboard and trackball with my server and dedicated MacBookPro. When on my desk I NEVER keep the battery in a laptop: It just cooks them. The entire desk is on a big UPS so I don't have a concern about power outages. So even though the laptop is a few years old, the battery still holds a charge and runs about 2.5hours on a flight.

When I travel I take a Brookstone pico projector. It makes a great second monitor in the hotel room for virtually no weight/space in my laptop bag. Or a third if the hotel TV is modern with an HDMI port: Which is common these days.

Visual Studio add-ins:
  • Perforce source control (P4V)
  • ReSharper
  • Dotfuscator
  • WPF Toolkit Extended Pro
  • XAML regions
  • XAML Styler
  • VS Color Output
  • Favorite Documents
  • Pretty Paste
  • Tabs Studio
  • Smooth Scroll
  • InstallShield

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 21 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Wow, very informative and thorough. Thank you, I'm definitely going to keep that post in mind as I go about piecing this laptop together. +rep!

Oh, quite the hardware you're running man!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:53 PM

I don't think you've mentioned it, so I'll ask if you've used a tablet for any length of time? If not, then you might want to borrow one from someone for a while. They are the sort of tool that you'll either love or quickly become frustrated with. Also, while you have it, think about how you will want to use it, and with what apps.

Personally, I'm a laptop guy! Particularly as they are now much more powerful, lighter, and the battery lasts much longer, than they used to. I usually max out the RAM, which doesn't cost a great deal and is easy to do, and always carry a proper mouse.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

I've just barely played with a couple, like literally BARELY. I'm leaning heavily towards a laptop the more I think about it though, because I know they are going to be much more powerful and aren't going to cost nearly as much to make powerful. I know that whatever I use, I can't experience much lag time haha. I feel like the things I'm going to want to do either won't be possible on a tab, or they will be very slow compared to a laptop that is built pretty tough!

Thanks for the input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

i prefer a laptop honestly it has a more authentic feel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

I've got a gaming class laptop as my work computer. It's got 8 cores and 32GB of RAM which lets me setup all kinds of VMs. The bummer is that all the security software that our IT department has loaded on it often has my dinky 4 core, 16GB ultra light business class laptop giving the big machine a run for its money most of the time. Lesson: If you have a big honking machine make sure that you configure it properly otherwise you'll end up with a 8 lbs. boat anchor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1