7 Replies - 873 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2015 - 09:31 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How to make Partitions from the OS-Partition ?

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hey guys ... I have a little problem ...

I installed a long ago Mint Linux so I don't want to lose my files in here because currently I don't have an external hard drive for backup and Oh my god ... All these damn packages will be dumped ...

So firstly ... does anyone have any suggestions about how to backup my packages ? Because they're important and I want all the configurations, you know I had many problems when I installed Mint that I'll have to solve again if I'm going to reinstall it ...

So secondly, is there a way so I won't have to reinstall Mint just because I didn't make an extra partition for Windows, to make now a new partition ?
I know officially you can't make a partition from the partition that you have installed the OS in there, but is there a way to do that ?
Or any way to install Windows without the need of an extra partition and just install it in the Linux-Partition ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to make Partitions from the OS-Partition ?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make Partitions from the OS-Partition ?

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

So firstly ... does anyone have any suggestions about how to backup my packages ?

A ton of options when I searched : "linux back up entire packages"

Examples:
http://www.howtogeek...s-with-aptoncd/
http://www.nixtutor....alled-packages/
https://wiki.archlin...ckup_with_rsync

Or any way to install Windows without the need of an extra partition and just install it in the Linux-Partition ?

Why would you think this would make sense?

to make now a new partition ?

Typically you can resize a partition as long as you are not using it .. so that means live cds. Plenty of topics when I search "linux resize partition". Example:
http://www.howtogeek...ntu-partitions/
https://www.howtofor...ext3_partitions
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

to make now a new partition ?

Typically you can resize a partition as long as you are not using it .. so that means live cds. Plenty of topics when I search "linux resize partition". Example:

Yeah that's my point in my topic, that I can't resize a partition that has the OS in it preinstalled ... I tried it by GParted Live on a DvD ... but couldn't resize it ... so what now ? :(

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

Why would you think this would make sense?

I don't know, I just want to be amazed by some ... Magic ... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

What do you mean by 'preinstalled'? You mean plain ol' installed-installed, right? Not some funky off the shelf business?

Are you trying to crack a partition off the existing or resize? I believe I advocated the latter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

What do you mean by 'preinstalled'? You mean plain ol' installed-installed, right? Not some funky off the shelf business?

Are you trying to crack a partition off the existing or resize? I believe I advocated the latter.

I mean that I installed Mint on the PC already and I don't wish to reinstall it just to make a new partition ... because you know, usually the partitions are made before installing the OS you desire ...

I have 2 Partition ... one is the System Partition 400-500 Mbytes and one is the OS partition 480 Gbytes .
So from GParted I wanted to seperate the OS partition but since is the partition which I installed Mint, I can't separate it anymore ... and my question, can I separate it somehow ? :)
Did I make myself clear ? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

As I said - resize the 480gb one to something smaller. With the excess not used make a partition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

As I said - resize the 480gb one to something smaller. With the excess not used make a partition.

Okay ... Am I blind or something ? I didnt see the resize button and thats why I thought it was impossible to male a new partition out of the already used one ...

Hehe ... yeah I'm not a smart man ...

Currently its making the new changes and I hope GParted wont make anything wrong because I dont want to lose my files :P
Thank you bro ... I hope I wont disturb for the same topic again ... have a nice day ... ;:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:31 AM

Currently its making the new changes and I hope GParted wont make anything wrong because I dont want to lose my files :P/>

WTH? Did you not make a backup of your files? I also like to live dangerously.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1