13 Replies - 1570 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

OCaml Course Starting in October

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

I found this course - Introduction to functional programming in OCaml - and thought I would pass it on.

https://www.france-u...session01/about
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: OCaml Course Starting in October

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: OCaml Course Starting in October

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for posting this! For those who are on the fence about this one, I recommend you give it a shot. The ML languages are pretty interesting, and if you haven't done any work in functional programming, it can be quite an eye-opening experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:46 AM

I recently started playing with OCaml. I figured it wouldn't be drastically different from one of my favorite languages, F#. It's different enough to be a separate critter and certainly fun language in its own right.

I may have to take this for a spin. Thanks for the link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 29 July 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

I recently started playing with OCaml. I figured it wouldn't be drastically different from one of my favorite languages, F#. It's different enough to be a separate critter and certainly fun language in its own right.

I may have to take this for a spin. Thanks for the link.

If you are talking a serious look at OCaml and have a Linux/Mac box then you have download and install OPAM(OCaml Package Manager). This(OPAM) will set-up Merlin so that the Sublime OCaml plugin will work and will ease a Eclipse set-up.

http://opam.ocaml.org/
http://www.algo-prog.info/ocaide/

Note: I'm not sure if the Sublime OCaml plugin still works but the Eclipse plugin does because I use it myself.

This post has been edited by g4143: 29 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

Just getting around to the opam thing. My work box is CentOS 6.6; the best OCaml I can get without doing a build or wonky repositories is 3.11. The home Ubuntu box is latest and greatest.

I also discovered the necessity of ledit or rlwrap with ocaml. My stock vim is doing well enough in the highlight department; I haven't gotten around to looking at other toys.

I only have few criticisms at this point. I loathe the lowercase requirement for type. I've found the String module to be strangely wanting. There are a few more things in List that I would have though would be stock. A few were added in 4.x.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 29 July 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

Just getting around to the opam thing. My work box is CentOS 6.6; the best OCaml I can get without doing a build or wonky repositories is 3.11. The home Ubuntu box is latest and greatest.

I also discovered the necessity of ledit or rlwrap with ocaml. My stock vim is doing well enough in the highlight department; I haven't gotten around to looking at other toys.

I only have few criticisms at this point. I loathe the lowercase requirement for type. I've found the String module to be strangely wanting. There are a few more things in List that I would have though would be stock. A few were added in 4.x.

Here's a valid critic of OCaml - OCaml Language Sucks

http://sds.podval.org/ocaml-sucks.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

Just a reminder that the MOOC OCaml course starts in one month and they are looking for people to translate the course videos into other languages.

https://sympa.inria....9/msg00120.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

This site is, sadly, totally fucking worthless. It's often down. I registered with my @gmail.com account, but never got the confirmation email. Then the password I used didn't work. The reset password hangs. Attempts to login, after supposedly successfully registering, fail.

I registered again with a domain I own, to avoid any potential black listing ( who blacklists google ?!?) Also fail. Disappointing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

Haven't heard anything from the course proprietors, but I'm already doing a class in real life this semester, so not a huge loss. I'll throw OCaml back on the stack of stuff to learn for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:56 AM

Quick update to this, after a few tries and a few email addresses, I did get a confirmation email and was able to get into the site. The class itself just started and looks promising. All the instructors seem excited about the language, which entices me to take it for a spin.

The website itself is still oddly twitchy, but you can download the videos and PDFs, to it's not insurmountable. Haven't trying their online OCaml environment yet, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:59 AM

Hm. I doubt if I have time to do this while I'm also doing CS450, but I'm not good at resisting temptation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:03 AM

Well I'm waiting for week three's assignment(mooc ocaml) and I'm wondering who else has signed up....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:35 AM

Haven't gotten through all the week 2 stuff yet. I see a number of bits where I really, really want to use a list, but presumably should be able to solder on without one.

I find the multiple choice stuff profoundly dull. I've considered just skipping it, but leaving zero scores just rankles too much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:02 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 05 November 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I find the multiple choice stuff profoundly dull. I've considered just skipping it, but leaving zero scores just rankles too much.

The stuff in week three should hold your attention. I just hope the following weeks don't get anymore complicated or are better explained because I'm getting to the end of my programming leash with trie problems.

I think I spent more time trying to figure out what is required and the constraints with the trie problems than writing solutions. Well I think I have a solution(s), we'll have to see what the grader has to say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1