• +
  • Last »

46 Replies - 6722 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

• (╯į□į)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Windows 10 is Here.

Post icon  Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Windows 10 has been released to the public.

How many of you have already installed it? What do you think so far? If you haven't, are you planning on holding off? Skipping entirely? Why or why not?

Review:

I've installed it myself. It was a bit of a process, though the issue is I use an Enterprise version of Windows via MSDN subscription, so I didn't get the automatic update tool telling me I could update. I had to download the Enterprise ISO from MSDN. However, I was shocked to see I didn't have to burn or write this ISO to a DVD or USB. Windows has had native ISO mounting since W8, but I expected that it would need to reboot and use the disc/drive.

However, I gave it a shot, started the update, and went to work. When I got home, the install was done. Other than a very annoying issue of not being able to remove NVIDIA drivers (and not being able to install new ones until the old ones were gone), everything has been pretty smooth.

The UI updates are nice (very contrasting theme. Light windows, dark taskbar. Less color all around, in a good way), the full-screen start menu has been banished to obscurity (available via an option, but not one many will turn on, I think). "Apps" that were previously fullscreen are hosted inside a window now. There's a Siri-like Search feature called "Cortana" that lives in the task bar. It's honestly more like Google Now with a personality like Siri. Not overly useful to me on a desktop, but it would be a pretty killer feature on mobile/tablet. It can search your PC, The Windows Store, and the Web (unfortunately with Bing).

The "Charms menu" is gone, at least in Desktop mode. No idea about Tablet mode. Oh yeah, modes are a thing. There is a new "Notification Center" that's almost a direct rip from OSX. Tray bubbles now show up like toast notifications. There's a new Settings menu that, again, seems very like their Apple counterpart's Settings menu. It doesn't completely replace the control panel, for better or worse.

There are four new "snap zones" for snapping windows against screen edges. You can now drag a window into a corner to take up a quarter of the screen. If you drag a window slowly, you can snap against the inside edge of a dual monitor setup (previously only doable via keyboard shortcut Win+Left/Right). Both of these are great. Win+Tab has been redesigned to give you a much better "quick view" of all your open windows. Basically it works like Expose on OSX does.

Can't give much more of a deep dive yet. Performance-wise, boot times seem to be down even further. No slowdowns yet, but I run a beast of a machine for gaming and virtualization reasons, so that may not be the best indicator.

What has your experience been?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Windows 10 is Here.

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 10 is Here.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:48 PM

I was just telling someone that I can't get past the really ugly sub menu screens like in settings etc. Stark white box screens with just a little text that hangs out in the middle of no where and a simple rectangle button here and there. It is like they wanted to go ultra minimalistic but went too far and made screens just look empty. Glad to see the start button is back and the task bar looks good from screenshots I have seen.

I may try it on my laptop to get use to it and learn it but since it is pretty much going to be forced on us anyways (there is no Windows 11 or beyond really since this Windows will now just be constantly updated) we are all going to have to get use to it at some point. Oh yeah and the edge browser looks pretty shitty too.

Either way I will be expected to learn it and support it in the future for work so whatever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

Three pages of experiences with the Tech Preview as it evolved into this retail release can be found in this other thread.
http://www.dreaminco...0-tech-preview/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cute bug

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

Im still waiting... , i cant download it from my laptop because it keeps saying there is nothing i can do right now :plain:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

There are countless articles like this one, telling you how you can download the ISO. If you have several computers to update its a lot faster to download the ISO one time, make a bootable media (CD, or USB).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:00 AM

I downloaded and installed it yesterday as well, haven't got to play around with it much but, from what I can see I'm going to like it. I'm running it on a virtual machine using VMWare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

I'm not a gamer but... If you google "Windows 10 gamers" you'll find a lot of articles describing all the improvements around DirectX12 and how it will improve video card interaction with your CPU(s). Basically previous to 12, DirectX only knew how to talk to one CPU regardless how many cores you had so there was still a bottleneck. Now with DX12 on Windows10 it can talk in parallel to all your cores, provided the program makers turn on that feature. Also, it can now make use of unused video cards (like the on-board if you are using an add-on) as addition GPU power.

Apparently the older your PC the more the update to WinX will make a difference because of a lot of the optimizing done. Counter-intuitive at first, but machines will cycle-per-second to spare are so fast you wouldn't see it anyway, where slower machines that can't afford to waste cycles will show the improvements. I've got a decent multi-core i7 laptop that I put an SSD boot drive in with WinX and it boots like lightning.

For those that didn't follow the tech preview thread I'll throw this out:
  • Start8 start button replacement works just fine on WinX
  • Actual Multiple Monitors works
  • SnagIt12 works fine
  • Nvidia driver 353.30 conflicts with USB Trigger Family (USB3->HDMI video adapter). So you have disable the USB driver, do the update/install, backgrade nvidia to 353.06, then reactivate USB Trigger. This only matters if you're using a USB adapter to run an additional monitor. More details on that Win 10 Tech Preview thread I linked earlier.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:14 AM

I like windows 10 better than windows 8 already. Unless we start seeing some terrible bug reports I'm gonna call it...every other version of windows is great, and every other other is bad.

Good: Windows 2000
Holy Shit Bad: Windows ME
Great: Windows XP
Bad: Windows Vista
Good: Windows 7
Slightly Bad IMO: Windows 8
Seems Good: Windows 10

I have no pre 2000 opinions because I was 7 in 2000...so yea

I'm thinking back and the only real complaint I had back then was that I you couldn't use the phone and the internet at the same time....also that noise the computer made when you were connecting was pretty neat
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

I had my copy reserved but got bored of waiting so decided to manually install it, jumping the queue :P

First thoughts are it's really smooth, everything looks very clean and crisp. It's very easy to immediately know where you folders, files, settings etc are and if you don't know where something is you can simply search for it using the cortana search bar. I've personally turned off the voice on it.

As for bugs and glitches I've only come across one where all my desktop icons disappeared including my recycling bin. Happened after I uninstalled an pre-loaded app.

As of now I've installed Visual studio, eclipse, netbeans, steam, a bunch of games, teamspeak and many more programs and they all work flawlessly, no crashes or delayed responses in loading applications.

Also finally we can get rid of that ridiculous tile system! Overall impressions? I like it very much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

The irony is that now I'm starting to twiddle the tile system to group programs and make programs that matter to me stand out. I never touched the tiles on the old Win8 and Win8.1 systems that I used to use regularly.

Anyway, as of 2 hours ago, I can say that all day to day use machines under my roof are now running Win10. The only Win7, Win8, and Win8.1 machines I have left running are VMs that I use for testing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:38 AM

I have just sent this email around at work and thought i would post it here as well, i had a lot of difficulties with one machine the rest went on a treat.

Hello,

Over the weekend I ended up upgrading my PCís and Laptopís to Windows 10, encase you are thinking about doing the same these are the difficulties I ran into.

Issue 1
When installing Windows 10 your met with an installation screen, This installation screen has a big overall % in the middle of a circle with three steps at the bottom.

One of my PCís was stuck at 40% overall with 25% done in drivers and functionality (I think it was drivers and functionality, it was definitely drivers). It stayed this way for about 6 hours, in the end I turned off the machine and turned back on, this reverted the OS back to the previous version, tried the installation again and it worked within the hour.

Issue 2:
When setting up the PC your asked to choose your network, The PC froze while choosing it. After turning off and back on, this time skipping this stage I was able to move on.

Sadly the wireless card drivers was last updated from windows 7, even more sadly they are still selling this model in shops.

I tried the Windows 7 drivers regardless and even with them it froze, when selecting the wireless network when i am logged in.

Issue 3:
NVidia graphics card, When you get to the login screen you may be shown a black screen, this is down to the NVidia graphics card, Windows seems to have a work around which is to press or hold the ĎCTRLí button and eventually it will show.

I preferred to remove the graphics card and set the machine up first, once the machine was set-up I re-inserted the graphics card and downloaded the beta version of the graphics card drivers from the net.

Issue 4:
When does a reset after doing the upgrade I was prompted for the product key, the keys are stored against your Microsoft account so skip this step, log in, and then try and activate the license, chances are itís already activated.

Note:
Windows 10 doesnít seem to remove all the data on your drive when you say to leave nothing behind, I ended up resetting it afterwards with the option to clean the drive. The amount of time this will take will vary computer to computer, my laptop with 120GB took 20 minutes my computer with 600GB took well over fifteen hours. For about fourteen and half hours it was on 99%. I am told this is normal.

keep in mind if you do a reset after the upgrade you will not be able to revert back to the previous version of windows, this is because it deletes your windows.old folder which contains your previous windows installation. If you donít want to reset but also donít want to revert back you can claim back the space using the Microsoft disk clean-up utility, you will need to clean up system files.

I have also been told and I canít understand for the life of me why they would do this but after 30 days windows will automatically delete this folder, if you have forgotten to back anything up you should be able to recover it from this folder.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:54 AM

I have just sent this email around at work

You sent this email around your work place? Was this originally in another language and translated to English for our benefit? If I had gotten this email through a work account I would have assumed it some foreign spam and contacted the admin about spam/virus filters not working.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 03 August 2015 - 03:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 02 August 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

The irony is that now I'm starting to twiddle the tile system to group programs and make programs that matter to me stand out.

Had you considered Fences by Stardock?

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

No it was not originally in another language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Home Owner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

I use Fences on all of my installations, it is an awesome tool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »