3 Replies - 238 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2015 - 09:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How To: Executable For Game

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

When you buy a game at the store, and want to play it on your computer, you do the following:

(1) Run a setup.exe
(2) Install on computer
(3) End up with an exe on your desktop (separate from its source files, asset files, etc.)

(1) How do I format my program (created from Visual Studio) to be like that?

The farthest I have toward this goal is how my folder is currently structured:
See 1.png (Left photo)

(2) If you do not know how to completely separate my .exe from my source and asset files, then do you know how to be able to put my source, header, and sfml DLL's into a folder like the following:
See 2.png (Right photo)

(3) Or if you know how to just bundle everything into 1 exe..

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image

This post has been edited by dreamlessness: 30 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How To: Executable For Game

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How To: Executable For Game

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

To be clear you do not have an executable on the desktop. That is a short cut to the executable in the install file.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

Grab this and you are sorted, there are tons of tools out there that are massively configurable.

Essentially you are just building your game out and then configuring this install tool to put the files in the correct place. If your game depends on any other software you can include that in the install step as well.

This post has been edited by stayscrisp: 31 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 BBeck  Icon User is online

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

Technically, the program is nothing other than the executable and maybe some DLLs in Windows. You compile it and put it in whatever directory you like. If your program has additional resource files and what not, you have to put those where you want them as well. If it were just a file or two that can be placed wherever you like, then it's not a big deal at all. It's not impossible that the executable is 100% self contained and there is nothing but the executable and thus it can be placed literally anywhere and if you execute it it will run. But for games you generally have a lot of resource files and whatnot for textures, sound, music, etc. and so it can be a pretty complicated install.

Since a complicated install with a lot of additional files would be way over the head of an average user, games that you buy at the store are going to have software to put the executable and everything else where they are supposed to be as well as do any additional configuration. You could make this installation program yourself, but the games at the store are likely using a standard installer.

Installations are typically done with Microsoft's MSI files. The Microsoft installer is ridiculously powerful, which is the primary problem with it. It has so much capability that it's not exactly easy to work with. However, if you get into it a bit, you might be able to make some fairly simple and straight forward installation scripts without too much trouble.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1