8 Replies - 420 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Opinions on WGU, and education in general

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

My apologies if this is not in the right forum section.

Has anyone attended Western Governors University? If so, what are your experiences with it?

I am interested in their B.S. in software development, but I don't know if this online degree carries more merit than any other online college. My main objective is to get this degree and switch careers to become a full-time programmer.

As to why I would choose an online college over a local one comes down to pricing and my schedule. I work a typical office job 8AM-5PM M-F, and my local colleges in Seattle don't offer a majority of the classes I would need after hours, or online.

For pricing, WGU is significantly cheaper than the University of Washington. I really really don't want to take out student loans or go into massive debt for my education.

What are your thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Opinions on WGU, and education in general

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Opinions on WGU, and education in general

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

Moved to Student Campus.

Do you already have a college degree? If so, a new degree is less important. Regardless, a CS minor or equivalent might be the best way to go about this rather than pursuing a four year degree. The key courses are Intro to Programming, Data Structures I, and Data Structures II. These are the programming intensive courses and should get help you to the point where you can branch off from there. The Data Structures II course will also get you ready for the technical interview type questions.

You may end up needing a Discrete Math course as a prereq. It's a good course to have regardless.

If you are able to take these courses in a physical classroom setting, I would encourage you to do so. The peer and professor interactions are really invaluable (assuming you have a halfway decent professor). If you can already program well, these courses may be formalities then.

Note- you don't need a CS/Software Engineering/similar degree to get into the business. I had coworkers this summer who had Journalism degrees, and they were senior developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:33 PM

I don't have a college degree yet, but I will definitely make sure whatever colleges I look at have those key courses you mentioned above.

This post has been edited by b0nes: 03 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:42 AM

I'm 50 years old and thinking about doing the BS degree for software development even though I've been a developer for nearly a dozen years. Its discouraging that with years of real experience some companies won't even interview you without the BS. They would rather have the paper and no experience. I personally prefer seeing companies that say "BS or equivalent experience" because I realize they might actually do some thinking for themselves as to the competency of the applicant. But those are dwindling every year.

I will say I prefer the price model of WGU as a fixed rate per 6-month regardless how many courses you take to someplace like SNHU where it is a price per course.

But that all depends on how many courses you can fit in during a year. If you're working two jobs and only going to be able to do one course per year, then paying per course is the cheaper way to go. If you are going to be a full-time student and take a full load and then some, the flat rate might be better. Of course factor in any student loans you take just so you can pay your bills while you are not working.

But honestly, at my age I don't know if it is worth it. Am I going to be alive and in the work force long enough to make a profit on the investment of 15-20 grand? And enough of a profit to justify all the work and effort, as compared to going a different route such as putting all that effort into my own product line that I could sell?

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 07 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

What are your thoughts?

I'm usually not big on online classes for beginners. They're okay for advanced topics, for advanced students, but when you're learning the concepts it's really important to be in a room with someone who will see your mistakes and help you get past them. For beginner online courses, you're typically going to miss most of the important stuff, unless the course just doesn't try to include the important stuff to begin with. (see every "bootcamp" course ever)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dishonored
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I've looked into this school as well. My schedule precludes me from normal online courses and I don't do well with the bs discussion questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Have you looked at ODU online for CS? It seems to be one of the more respected institutions with a physical location that offers an online option.

https://online.odu.e...omputer-science
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

Ranking of top 10 on-line courses for BS in Software Development
http://www.bestvalue...rams-bachelors/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

ODU's program is s CS degree, not a Software Engineering degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1