10 Replies - 2028 Views - Last Post: 28 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How was your Java I course? Looks like cake

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hey java folks. I would say be ready for an onslaught of questions from me due to a java course I'm starting on Sept 9th, but it looks like it's gonna be cake.

Here's the course description:

This course introduces the Java object-oriented programming language. Topics and activities include Java language essentials, writing Java programs in order to solve a variety of basic problems, design and testing techniques, working with arrays and simple data structures, creating basic graphical interfaces using applications and applets, and working with input and output files.

On the other hand, the required book for the class is 801 pages (Murdach's Java). This monster will probably last me until Advanced java programming at least.

How was your Java I course? Tough, just right, too easy?

This post has been edited by jeffindenver: 28 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How was your Java I course? Looks like cake

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How was your Java I course? Looks like cake

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:44 AM

Why would you assume it is going to be a cake walk? That looks like a standard introduction to most 101 classes kicking off across this rock, and we know the volume of questions that stem from that.

I dig the Murach books... especially their 'code on one page, description on the facing page'.

My java class, back in the day, was fine. I had some java experience prior, and was coming off of c++ run.. so the OOP didn't hit me like some of the other folk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Screw Trump (before he screws you)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the Murach books. I suggest that you save your back a little pain, and just cut it into chapters with a box knife. It's not one you're going to want to keep, and carrying that much book around is going to kill you. (use a paper or a plastic bag to keep each chapter from getting too messed up while you're carrying it around)

If you haven't done so, bookmark the tutoracles. They're much better written than Murach. Go through "Learning the Java Language" and "Essential Classes" before your course, and you should have a pretty easy time of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

I'm thinking it'll be easy because we covered the same material in the introduction to programming course I just finished.
I'll just have to learn new syntax, which isn't that different. The graphics portion will be entirely new though.

I noticed you're in Nebraska. I think Omaha. You'll recognize the school -- Metro Community College of Nebraska.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Ah.. well Metro's not bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

MCC isn't bad, but some instructors can be. My instructor left for a vacation the last four weeks of a 10 week course. Then we had a sub who told us the first day that he doesn't really code and he's mostly a unix guy. We should go easy on him, he said. Then the day of the final, I got an email from the instructor saying we would not have class that day. (LOL)

Well, it was okay, because I had all the assignments and final (which was posted online) done by week five.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:55 PM

Sortof related, I took an AP Computer Science test my Junior year of highschool, funny enough my school didn't actually offer a "Computer Science" class. This was basically a test on Java, and I did pretty good. Makes me excited for once I start uni, I have a sneaking suspicion things aren't going to be very hard for a while ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

First class was last night, and I'm pleased. We have serious instructor who got right into OOP. And then we had in-class coding assignment. In contrast to the typical first class where they read you the syllabus and then say, "see you next week," it was good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2015 - 04:32 PM

Java I wasn't too bad for me to be honest. However, java II was pretty difficult for me and I struggled quite a bit. Hope all is still going well!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Tim. Java II starts in December, and I'm on track for A+ in Java I (along with half the class lol).

This post has been edited by jeffindenver: 28 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, if you have any experience in programming its a pretty easy class. You definitely get into more interesting things in Java II.. I just wish my Community College would have courses on algorithms.. guess I have to just wait until I transfer into a University while just learning on my own. >.<
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1