14 Replies - 1894 Views - Last Post: 21 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Good idea for a senior project

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:42 PM

So I have paired up with 4-5 other CS students and we have about 1 year to create our senior project, however I am not sure if the ideas we have are good, or will at least look good on our resumes. The ideas we got are:

- video game (most likely an educational one)
- a simulation of some sort
- picture deblur software
- some kind of music software (unsure)

Personally, I am leaning towards either the video game or the picture deblur software, but I am worried that if we do the video game it wont look that impressive on our resumes and I am not sure if the picture deblur software would even take a year, but then again I have no knowledge on that topic. Although I really want to create something that I will enjoy and actually be proud of, I dont want to create something that is mediocre.

It would mean a lot if I could hear some of the opinions you guys have. If any of these are good or if you think they are mediocre at best, please let me know.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good idea for a senior project

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Good idea for a senior project

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

1 year and 4-5 students looks bit too much, especially if you haven't worked together on the single project before.

I dare recommend to start one or more smaller projects (such that may take 2-3 weeks) instead. You may choose several from your list or somewhere other. This will allow you to get used to working together and surely will give you a lot of ideas on further projects.

Main problem with your list is that it is extremely vague :)

What are your and your colleagues topics of interest?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:11 AM

Hey guy,

Note im a dropout, but now full-time programmer, So im not quite familiar with how things go during senior year of college and taking into account culture differences.

But on to the point, take a look at where you are right now. You're community, is there something lacking there? I recall a few of the seniors from the college I attended created an app that helped people from our city travel, by giving them the exact cost of traveling from place to place. It included cost, time and also statistics. It was a simple app but If your up for it you can look at something people need and create that.

Just one guys opinion.

Thanks for reading and goodluck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

I am not sure if the picture deblur software would even take a year

Because Image/Signal processing is one of my active research fields, I can assure you that image deblurring is not a trivial topic. People are doing active research on this. Image deblurring falls into the category of so called "Inverse Problems". Deblurring is also called Deconvolution in the signal processing literature. Why is it hard ? because deblurring falls into the category of Ill-posed problems.

I am not sure what are you majoring in, but basically the mathematical model for image deblurring/deconvolution is

y = Hx + n

y, x and n are vectors of dimension Nx1 and H is a matrix of dimension N x N. y is your blurred image, x is the original image that you want to recover (In deblurring, you will be creating algorithms to estimate this original unblurred image), n is some noise (probably obtained during the image acquisition) and finally H is some operation that made your image blurred (In the image processing literature this is called the Blur matrix).

Now, in image deblurring you want to recover the original clean and unblurred signal x. How to do that ? You will have to do some extensive research to do so. You will find out that there are extensive research being done in doing so. This is why the topic is such interesting in its own light.

You will have some three options in image deblurring. Blind image deblurring, Semi-Blind Image deblurring and Non-Blind image deblurring. The hardest is the Blind image deblurring. This case arises when you do not have any prior information about the blurring system ( you don't know at all the nature of the blur matrix H). The second hardest is the semi-blind case, where you have some prior information about the blur matrix and thus can attack the problem with these information.

The least hardest of the three is the non-blind case. You have prior information about the blur matrix H i.e. you know H is a Gaussian blurr system and thus can create algorithms that can tackle the Gaussian blur case.

If you are interested in the topic try reading about Wiener filtering, Least-squares filtering. More advance concepts include wavlet filtering, total variation deconvolution and many more !

As a suggestion for your project, try implementing various deblurring algorithms (maybe 4-5 algorithms, because you have 4-5 students in a group) and do a comparative analysis of those algorithms. I personally think this is a very good opportunity for you to learn about Image processing.

This post has been edited by tarmizi_adam2005: 04 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

tarmizi_adam2005- You should totally write up tutorials on signal processing for DIC. They would be great in our CS Tutorials section! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

@macosxnerd101 I was thinking of that many times but unfortunately, my research schedule is hindering me at the moment. God willing, I will try some day :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

I totally understand. As you publish papers or come across interesting reads, feel free to share those too. It's always great to see our members doing big things! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

deblurring is a very difficult problem. The main issue is that you don't know how the blurring kernel used to blur the image. Its an iterative process basically using a guess and check type approach. I've always found the hardest part of developing an adaptive deblurring system is reducing the ringing effect.

It would be a good project, even thesis worthy, that would investigate new approach to solving this problem
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

I've always found the hardest part of developing an adaptive deblurring system is reducing the ringing effect.

Yes, that is true. Recently, I bumped into a paper addressing the ringing effect. If you are interested this is the paper. However, I am aware that the paper is from 2007 and there must be other newer techniques. Are you working on image deblurring jjl?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

I did my masters in emphasis of computer vision and parallel processing, I did my thesis in optimizing the Harris corner detection on NVIDIA GPGPUs. A quick google search will bring you to the document if you are interested.

I took a few image processing courses in my graduate studies, I worked on image deblurring a little bit there. Image processing is a big component in the first stage of a computer vision system, hence why I studied it.

This post has been edited by jjl: 02 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:23 AM

I see, That is interesting to know. I heard about optimizing image processing tasks with parallel processing. However, me myself I don't have any experience doing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hello All!

I represent a not-for-profit organization that needs to set up an API to send customer shipping information to our order fulfillment center. I just got all the API stuff today, and have no idea what to do with it - I'm completely unfamiliar with code or web development, and due to limited funding, we have not yet been able to retain a programmer.

I chose this forum, Student Campus, because I am a full-time college student myself (I work for the non-profit part-time). If there is anyone out there who might be able to offer us some advice/assistance/solid pointers, we would be immensely grateful. Thank You!

In addition, since this discussion is about senior projects, if there is anyone out there who might be interested in helping us with our web development needs as part of a school project, we would be thrilled to work with you.

Interested parties can contact us on our website at <Removed>, or by email at <Removed>.

Thanks everyone! So glad finals are over - best of luck with Winter Quarter!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 18 December 2015 - 06:37 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed spam

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Please do not use other folks' threads to solicit work for your own no-pay projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 December 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Please do not use other folks' threads to solicit work for your own no-pay projects.

Apologies on this one - I'm new to this type of forum, and wasn't sure of the protocol/etiquette. Thanks for the correction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

View Poststreek405, on 30 August 2015 - 11:42 PM, said:

- some kind of music software (unsure)

Not sure if this has been done, but it would be cool if you could analyse the huge number of remixes on youtube so that you could create a program which would take a song/mp3 as input, and intelligently output a remixed version based on the analysis of youtube remixes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1