Programming languages (Top 10?)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1474 Views - Last Post: 12 September 2015 - 10:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming languages (Top 10?)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

To all the professionals out there. I want your opinions. Make a top 10/7/5/whatever you feel like, of the most 'important' programming languages. This is highly subjective and I don't mean to initiate any kind of flame-war. I would like to see if people end up generally agreeing on some. If you do answer this and post a top-something, thank you :)

PD: You can leave reasons as to why you picked what you picked where, if you wish. If not, I'll have some research to do :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming languages (Top 10?)

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming languages (Top 10?)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

If not, I'll have some research to do

So is this in lieu of research?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

It's sort of an underspecified question - what is meant by "important"? Important for whom? I mean, if you're Rasmus Lerdorf, then PHP is important to you. If not... well, it's a dead language, who cares?

But okay, I'll play along:

5) The language(s) you make a living in. Come on, it's what pays your bills. That's pretty important. (python, for me)
4) The first language you really learned. The language you used when you first "got it". When it clicked. When you realized that you'd just done something remarkable, and that there's plenty more where that came from. (Java)
3) The next language on your list. If you're not looking forward to learning some language that you don't know, you're probably ready to not be a programmer any more. The language that draws you forward is quite important. (Ruby)
2) The first language you tinkered with. Yeah, the one you tried to write a Zork clone in, and figured out about combinatorial explosion - that one. That's the one that drove you on to all of the rest of them. (BASIC, then Perl)

And of course:
1) Lisp. You might never deploy a line of lisp in your career, but the lessons you'll learn from lisp cannot be overemphasized. Go on, quit bothering me and go learn some Lisp.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostRazzy99, on 10 September 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

To all the professionals out there. I want your opinions. Make a top 10/7/5/whatever you feel like, of the most 'important' programming languages. This is highly subjective and I don't mean to initiate any kind of flame-war. I would like to see if people end up generally agreeing on some. If you do answer this and post a top-something, thank you :)

PD: You can leave reasons as to why you picked what you picked where, if you wish. If not, I'll have some research to do :)

You are familiar with the TIOBE software index right? One of the premiere language usage indexes out there and is updated on a monthly basis along with change percentages.

http://www.tiobe.com...tpci/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:15 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 10 September 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you're not looking forward to learning some language that you don't know, you're probably ready to not be a programmer any more.

This, +100.

5. F#. I love F#. Who uses F#? Me and a few lonely guys on the Internet.
4. Java. This is the VB6 of the 21st century. It may have failed on the desktop, Oracle tried to kill it with ineptitude, but it just keeps on chugging. The Android stuff isn't quite Java, but you can throw it in there as another reason you can't kill this puppy.
3. SQL. Regardless of any programming languages you work in, you'll need this. Don't fall for the NoSql hype, it exists because many programmers suck as SQL.
2. HTML. This is a nobrainer. It's the world we live in. Sorry if you wanted to do rich desktop apps, you're stuck with this. I'll lump CSS under this, as they don't really exist without each other. (Note, not a "programming" language, but it's a language you must know. )
1. Javascript. Another "just won't die" language. Google can't even kill it, though they keep trying. Not just essential to the browser, entire apps are being created in it (AngularJS) and it can even be the ONLY language you use for a project (Node.js).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:22 AM

A measure of importance could be the number of lines of code that are executed on a daily basis. In which case, COBOL and Excel VBA need to be accounted for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

If that's true, then the microcode that runs all the modern processors for second the processor is turned on would be the most important language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:52 AM

Maybe. Although ubiquitous, the aggregate of all those lines of executed micro-code may still not exceed the two I mentioned.

But then, if we're getting to the level of machine code, then I suppose we'd have to discount it somehow ;), concentrating on higher-level languages.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 11 September 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

I suppose we'd have to discount it somehow ;)/>, concentrating on higher-level languages.

What you got against C?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

Interesting replies everyone. I was just curious as to what each one of you considered important. I know there are sites that have them already sorted and updated. I'm looking for personal answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

@jon - Regular ol' c lacks the fruit punch flavoring, 100% daily recommendations of vitamin c, or comes in ecto-cooler green.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

I would edit my original post but I don't have the requirements yet. Basically all this is personal. Don't go looking for 'official lists'. I'm interested in what your opinion is. If what you think is important and what order you would consider building your list as, is the same as a site, then say so. If it isn't, I'm curious as to what you think. The research bit I mentioned was to say, if You didn't say why you consider a language more important than another, I'd have to look both up, and try to figure out why you decided that :) Again, thanks for all the replies, and sorry if I wasn't clear enough. English is not my mother language :surrender:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

Writing a paper on the topic, eh Trebek?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

By my premise, and with some imaginative accounting ;), there must be more lines of C/C++ executed daily than any other high-level language. Despite the (mythical?) billions of lines of COBOL, C code is executing on every computer. COBOL is high in the mix though.

There are millions of Excel spreadsheets being opened every minute, and a huge number of amateur (non) programmers dabbling with Excel VBA.

View PostRazzy99, on 11 September 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

I would edit my original post but I don't have the requirements yet.

I just want to advise that, even with editing rights, you should not substantially alter your original post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

9. Smalltalkers love passing messages although nothing of substance was ever said in Smalltalk.

8. Erlang seemed like a good idea but the processes are just too unreliable.

7. C is just a Java rip off that doesn't even have objects. This is fixed in C#.

6. The Rails programming solved the diamond problem with Ruby.

5. Javascript was a useful prototype before client side scripting was improved by...

4. HTML5/CSS3 combo: the first Turing complete language that is not a programming language.

3.5. I forgot BASIC. BASIC can go to 10.

3. The music industry despises R, which is the native language of pirates.

2. Lisp is included despite its associated Schemeing and Racketeering.

1. Piet is a brainfuck but has syntax colouring built in.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +