Difference in diplomas.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 1936 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Difference in diplomas.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

I don't understand is there a difference between computer engineering, programming engineering and computer science diploma. For example, I want to apply for a job as a php developer, one of the requirements is a diploma in CS. So if I have a diploma in computer engineering the company will not want to hire me because of that? Or these diplomas are the same? Please help me to understand.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Difference in diplomas.

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Difference in diplomas.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

Where are they coming out of?

Computer engineering is a discipline that integrates several fields of electrical engineering and computer science required to develop computer hardware and software
https://en.wikipedia...ter_engineering

Software engineering is the study and an application of engineering to the design, development, and maintenance of software.
https://en.wikipedia...are_engineering

Computer science is the scientific and practical approach to computation and its applications.
https://en.wikipedia...omputer_science

in short:
CE - programming and electrical bits
SE - Software bits
CS - science of computer bits.

Depending on what classes you take I doubt a php job would blink too much at SE or CS.. typically php/web is minimal in CE so.. again.. it depends on your classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

So, computer engineering diploma is more general. But why most companies require a diploma only in CS? Is that mean that they do not want applicants with diplomas in other fields, like computer or programming engineering? Or these diplomas are also OK for them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:04 AM

'Computer Science' tends to be an umbrella term. You need to be a little more flexible in your understanding how a job posting works. Those are not hard terms that you need to know 100% everything on there or have the precise degree. You can spin a SE or CE into a 'CS' with little effort.

.. and no, CE is not more general. Go to the link and read up that they are more married to the hardware side than SE or CS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

In other words, if a company wants a diploma in CS, and I have a diploma in CE, will they want to hire me? Will they consider my diploma in CE as a diploma in CS?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

will they want to hire me?

I would phrase it "that wouldn't hinder you from being considered". Lord knows there's could be a host of other things that affect your hire/not hire status.

Will they consider my diploma in CE as a diploma in CS?

More than likely... though if you are going into web design CE seems like an odd place to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

In computer engineering you will likely study a lot of electronics and communications. For example you will study, electrical circuits, electronics, Digital logics (Flip-Flops etc). You will also study some communication engineering subjects like, linear signal and systems, digital signal processing, digital communication etc. Then you will have some computer science subjects like, programming, data structures and algorithm, multimedia, computer graphics etc.

I can say that, computer engineering is more towards electronics at least where I'm from (Malaysia).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Most positions I see are something like: Relevant BS degree in Computer Science or related field
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

So, computer science includes computer engineering. If the requirement in vacancy (for example, software engineer) is to have a bachelor degree in CS and the applicant has a bachelor degree in computer engineering he can apply to that vacancy. Right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

You may as well give it a shot.

.. but be prepared to explain why you are still qualified with the more hardware based computers versus more general software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

Computer Science and Software Engineering degrees are close enough for you to be applying to the same job market. Computer Engineering on the other hand is a different discipline. While there's some overlap with Computer Science, Computer Engineering also has a big chunk of Electrical Engineering principals that go along with it. The programming courses in CE are are focused from a computer hardware's perspective (Think of writing code for embedded systems in C/Assembly or working with robotics), so you'll be doing low level programming but at the same time keeping in mind the hardware you're working with because you will be designing and programming electronics.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

All that you wrote was a more detailed description of CE specialization, and now the most important question for me is that if I a have a CE diploma can I apply for a job as a senior software developer or not (I want to apply for it)? Because I have a job experience in web developing and I am interested in software engineering more than in hardware, and I have a CE diploma. But I think that computer science include CE as well. I just want to make sure that when I apply for a senior software developer vacancy I won't be rejected because of my diploma, because the requirement is bachelor degree in CS. I thought that it won't be a problem for me, because diploma in CE is almost the same as CS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

if I a have a CE diploma can I apply for a job as a senior software developer or not

Based on your questions I doubt you have the qualifications, and more importantly the experience, for a _senior_ position.

I just want to make sure that when I apply for a senior software developer vacancy I won't be rejected because of my diploma,
*sigh* Why _HAVENT_ you applied for the job? Again - if you have a track record, history, portfolio of programming outside of the CE world then it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a CE degree and spent five years as a lowly taco bender in the taco-hut then that's a different story.

If you need someone to tell you what to do then I'll step up - apply for the fricken job already! Roll the dice on the interview and report back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

If you are qualified for the position, it doesn't matter what the diploma says. If you aren't and think the diploma will make you, then you aren't qualified anyway. If you are qualified and meet their requirements, apply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

I just want to make sure that when I apply for a senior software developer vacancy I won't be rejected because of my diploma,
*sigh* Why _HAVENT_ you applied for the job? Again - if you have a track record, history, portfolio of programming outside of the CE world then it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a CE degree and spent five years as a lowly taco bender in the taco-hut then that's a different story.

I can't apply for a software engineer job now because I don't have a portfolio in programming I just want to make sure that after several years of working in web developing sphere, having a diploma in CE I will not be rejected when I apply for a PHP developer. I want to learn C++ too. And I'am afraid that when I will apply even for C++ junior I will be rejected because of diploma, because they want diploma in CS.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 24 September 2015 - 08:22 AM
Reason for edit:: fixed botched quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +