• (3 Pages)
  • +

34 Replies - 1415 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Manditory Fun

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

So we are having our big convention. A chance to mingle and network, get training on new technologies, and get a handle on the road map for the future...

...I really hate this. I am just not good at mandatory fun. I mingle, and chit-chat, but I always end up finding myself on the outside looking in. I just don't fit in well. Not to say that I am a social outcast. No one is rude, I don't get *ditched*... I just drift out of the crowds. And then I end up feeling really alone in a crowd.

</whine>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Manditory Fun

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Manditory Fun

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

I know how you feel...I have to deal with things other than the industry conventions, but enforced socialization is certainly not my forte.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:41 PM

regular socialization isn't even my forte.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• pen and paper slave

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:56 AM

I dunno if its bad or not but I'd rather sit in a corner on official gatherings. I just think everybody have invisible masks on.

Besides, I don't want to be a hypocrite.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:35 AM

I drink heavily at these things (and I have to attend a lot of them), especially before any presentations or speeches I give. I find it makes other people more interesting to me.

Although my liver hurts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

I hate "forced" fun, we have tons of company "functions" and for the past 2 years I have either managed to schedule a doctors appointment for that day, or spend enough time to be seen by the "big wigs" then sneak out.

I'm there to work, I'm there to write code, I'm not there to make friends or socialize. Maybe thats a bad attitude to have but thats the one Ive always had, and will always live by. I don't think, other than my last boss, who's still my best friend, Ive ever socialized with anyone outside of work. Other than the Managers and HR no one I work with even knows my phone number, knows where I live or anything non-work related.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way shape or form rude to anyone at work, well except my PM :P , but I don't go out of my way to be overly social. Every Friday all the developers get together for lunch, and for the time Ive been there its always been a NO from me, but the stubborn people keep asking :P

<rant>
What I hate most is the amount of alcohol they serve at company functions, this coming from someone who lost his first wife to a drunk driver many many years ago. Why don't they just go public and say they have no problems with drinking and driving, as they're condoning it anyways by allowing it to happen
</rant>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

Sadly, I am one of the bigwigs, so I have to stay so people like you can be seen by me. ;)

I know you have a personal situation with drinking and driving, but I will say that people make their own choices in life. Alcohol being served does not mean someone has to drink it. If someone choses to drink and drive, I'm not sure it makes sense to place the blame solely on those who provide the alcohol. If someone drinks and drives, they would do it no matter who provides (and they're stupid for doing so).

That being said, I always set aside a specific portion of any budget for things like this to taxi chits, which I freely distribute to people who are too stupid to make proper choices, and everyone else, for that matter.

Overall, sounds like you guys would be massive downers at any social gathering - except for sloth, who's fun all the time (although it may only be work related gatherings that have you so up in arms). Fun crew. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 27 Nov, 2007 - 07:35 AM, said:

Although my liver hurts.

They say that you can't feel liver damage until it's too late.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Nuts...I thought that was emotional damage.

Thanks, Marko. You've put a real upswing on my day. I need a drink. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

What can I say I'm a Leo. I like to entertain. I usually schmooze those events and have a good time but with out getting stupid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

the best time i ever had at one of these gatherings was at OSCON when Sun brought in beer pong. (although it wasn't really 'forced')

no one wanted to play though, so i ended up playing a one on one against a man in drag. fuckin nerds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:12 AM

"Mandatory Fun" is an oxymoron.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

thus why he used it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 27 Nov, 2007 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'm there to work, I'm there to write code, I'm not there to make friends or socialize. Maybe thats a bad attitude to have but thats the one Ive always had, and will always live by.

For the record, I don't think that's indicative of a bad attitude at all. You're fulfilling your company's expectations of you. Whom you socialize with and when should always be your choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

View PostAmadeus, on 27 Nov, 2007 - 11:08 AM, said:

For the record, I don't think that's indicative of a bad attitude at all. You're fulfilling your company's expectations of you. Whom you socialize with and when should always be your choice.

I guess that is a bit what this whole thread is about. Many of us coders feel we have no choice with these mandatory get togethers. You are expected to show up, expected to talk to people you work with (and in most cases don't even understand what you do for the company) and expected to put on a happy face about it all.

The company I work for has these gatherings often and they all looooove to drink. I am not a drinker and even though they don't force me, they do give me strange looks and make me feel a bit of an outcast at any decline I make for alcoholic beverages.

I find that programmers have a special intellect which requires specific behavior from others to actually be entertained. Most non programmers/developers don't fit this bill. To strengthen the point, ever get a group of programmers together at a social event related to software development? Programmers usually get pretty hyped up and lets the jargon fly a mile a minute. I certainly do. When I feel the people I am talking to can actually understand what polymorphism is and excited about it too, it makes all sorts of gatherings fun.

Companies like Google capitalize on this. They get their developers together to let the ideas fly, give them whatever they want to drink or eat with no pressure and let the creation flow. Sure, even Google has non-tech people, but there are enough developers in the company that I bet their parties really rock. A full blown nerd party!

Here where I am, I am the only one who knows what polymorphism or class abstraction is and programming is my passion. It is hard to be part of a get together where they topic of conversation is "So I met so and so at such a such restaurant last week and my god, they looked like hell! Want another brew?" Does so and so know programming? no. Is such a such restaurant good? Don't know, we only went in and didn't eat there. Is there any substance to this conversation other than judging others and a beer? No. Case closed.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +