10 Replies - 812 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is this a safe site to buy a laptop from?

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

I got accepted to a university and im going to be buying a really nice laptop. Unfortunatly sager removed it in their store and replaced it with a crappier one that is basically a downgrade for the cpu, so now i have to buy it from here insted http://www.avadirect...nw#configurator . Ive never heard of this site can anyone give me some kind of feedback? Should i stay away? The laptop im configuring will be upwards of 2 thousand dollars i dont want to get scammed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is this a safe site to buy a laptop from?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is this a safe site to buy a laptop from?

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

2K on a laptop? Yikes!

I have no personal experience with them directly but their devices seem to get reasonable reviews from other stores (so not buying directly from them I guess).

To be honest if I'm spending 2K on a laptop (do you really need to spend that much by the way), I would be wanting to make sure I am confortable with who I will be buying from in terms of support and hardware. If there is doubt in your mind then probably best to look somewhere else.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 30 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostRyano121, on 30 September 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

I have no personal experience with them directly but their devices seem to get reasonable reviews from other stores (so not buying directly from them I guess).

To be honest if I'm spending 2K on a laptop (do you really need to spend that much by the way), I would be wanting to make sure I am confortable with who I will be buying from in terms of support and hardware. If there is doubt in your mind then probably best to look somewhere else.

Was thinking the same thing but unfortunately no other place sells it. As soon as sager removed it from their list so did http://www.xoticpc.c...?wconfigure=yes that leaves me only to buy the clevo version from ava there is literally no other search results for where to buy from. I wanted a nice laptop for college so i can game if i want to i dont want a crap one and my computers too big to take with me.

an i7 4790k in a laptop is to die for

This post has been edited by panzerfaust67: 30 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

Why is this posted under site check? Moved to Computer Support -> Hardware -> Laptop
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

Well if that's the only place that sells it and you have you heart set on that model then you don't have much choice do you? They are probably phasing out that model anyways in favour of the new SkyLake CPU's.

Forgetting the 4790k (man think of the heat that thing will produce in a laptop :/. Think of the rig you could build with 2k. Heck you could build a decent rig and a laptop to RDP into it if you want portability. But that's just me :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostRyano121, on 30 September 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Well if that's the only place that sells it and you have you heart set on that model then you don't have much choice do you? They are probably phasing out that model anyways in favour of the new SkyLake CPU's.

Forgetting the 4790k (man think of the heat that thing will produce in a laptop ://>. Think of the rig you could build with 2k. Heck you could build a decent rig and a laptop to RDP into it if you want portability. But that's just me :)/>

yea i hear ya. I already got a monster rig but its too bulky and too much of a risk to bring to a college it will probably get broken.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

I went through the same thought process as you when I was going to college. Trouble is a 2K laptop that you carry around with you has even more chance of getting broken to be honest :/. But of course a big rig isn't the best either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostRyano121, on 30 September 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

I went through the same thought process as you when I was going to college. Trouble is a 2K laptop that you carry around with you has even more chance of getting broken to be honest ://>. But of course a big rig isn't the best either.

yea that is always going to be a major concern if someone steals it. The fingerprint feature of the laptop i thought was cool but its kinda pointless at the same time. If someone steals it all they have to do is wipe out the operating system. They should have built the finger print driver into the motherboard somehow so you have to do it before it boots the OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Why not use something cheap like a chromebook & remote onto a large rig at home?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 30 September 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

Why not use something cheap like a chromebook & remote onto a large rig at home?

idk how remote would be for gaming doesnt sound like it would perform well. SInce ill be living there for 2 years i want to have a nice laptop with the ability to game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

If I remember right, xoticpc customizes the sager. Contact them and see what they can do for you.

-- my laptop is a $2k Dell mobile workstation and other than not having the ssd it performs flawlessly. --
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1