• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1739 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

XP proven faster then Vista

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

You all suspected it but could not prove it. Well as they say the proof is in the pudding Information week reports that vista is slower by more then half to process the same functions in XP.

Researchers at Devil Mountain Software, a Florida-based developer of performance management tools, have posted data from their most recent Windows performance tests -- and Vista, even after it's been upgraded to the new Service Pack 1 beta package, is shown to be a laggard.

ARTICLE HERE

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: XP proven faster then Vista

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XP proven faster then Vista

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

Well, in Vista's defense, when you are trying to replicate graphics from other, well performing Operating Systems, & then run that on-top of a pre-existing & insecure Operating System, it's going to be a bit sluggish. As well, when your answer to security issues is to prompt the user 3 times rather than fix the holes in the swiss-cheese, it'll lag from time to time.

My question is this. Were these test performed with a fresh XP install, or one that has been running on the internet for more than say, 10 minutes, & has search hooks & other Malware installed? Because fair is fair. If it's M$ watching your activities, or some clearing house, either way your bandwidth has to give!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

I hadn't intended to upgrade anytime soon anyway, but with the mix of anecdotal evidence and performance data, I'd say that a Vista "upgrade" is not on the horizon for me.

However you want to slice it, slower is slower.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• dream.in.assembly.code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

People have been "upgrading" from vista to XP! Click
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

i just read on digg that SP3 is supposed to have a 10% performance boost also in terms of speed.

hooray xp.

and its not an excuse to jump the ms ship,
just an excuse to stay with xp, there is no need for vista
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

i just read on digg that SP3 is supposed to have a 10% performance boost also in terms of speed.

They should release it as SP33D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

View Postborn2c0de, on 28 Nov, 2007 - 01:16 AM, said:

They should release it as SP33D

i second that motion :)

With the time i've had to work with XP, it can be stripped and forced to run quickly on machines never intended to run the OS, while Vista, i've had issues keeping it going smoothly under 500MB of RAM. It is always up for debate as to what the standard is, and what's good enough. Personally I am still not impressed with Vista all that much, if they were to put the (essentially stolen) searching engine from Vista in XP, I might never switch :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

MS, give us DX10 in XP, and Vista is literally doomed (however it's still not clear if there is anything that really needs DX10, but I'll only install Vista because of that).

About the benchmark: it's a bit unfair, because it is well known, that 1GB RAM is simply not enough for Vista. Running at 2 would have made much more sense. Anyway, it's pretty much the same that happened when XP was introduced, a standard computer could simply not run it at reasonable speeds.
Anyway, I don't think that I would do my everyday things on Vista(Linux and XP are just Ok for that), but I'll put it onto my gaming rig for DX10.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Actually, I've heard that PCs running cutting edge dual core processors with 2GB RAM are still sluggish under Vista, compared to XP. It's anecdotal evidence, obviously, unless I can find the site where I read it (which I'm not likely to bother with).

OK, I bothered. Says here that they ran tests with 2GB and 1GB of RAM and "...it didn't make a difference."

This post has been edited by Programmist: 28 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yes, that's right.

I have a new laptop with 2GHz Core 2 duo, and 2GB RAM, and it does a lot of things more slowly than my old P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM.

I tried putting XP on it, but for some reason the XP setup couldn't recognise the hard drive.

But once you turn off a lot of the eye candy, the system does speed up quite a bit. And I'm only using Vista Home Basic!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

Ok, usually i don't get into the whole Vista convos because I have no experience. But the second i read the titles my first thought was "No Shit Shirlock"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

The new SP3 is supposed to be even faster than SP2. I know Vista is the balls performance wise, but DX10 is well worth it. If your machine can run DX10 games, it can probably handle Vista OK.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:37 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 28 Nov, 2007 - 07:03 PM, said:

OK, I bothered. Says here that they ran tests with 2GB and 1GB of RAM and "...it didn't make a difference."

I must say it depends on the benchmark. For me it did made a difference in games, but probably for office and everyday applications it's the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:05 AM

I guess there's no way to know for sure unless one tries it. I wanted to try it. Heck, I can get a $20 copy of Vista Utilmate or a free copy of Vista Business through my university. And I have a laptop that is Vista ready. However, with all of the negative reports I've been hearing (mostly from people, not news agencies) I'm staying away from it for a while. I'm way too impatient to put up with even a small slowdown, given the modest gains Vista is supposed to provide. They lost me back when it was still called Longhorn and they ditched all of the cool features that were supposed to be included (e.g. WinFS)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

I understand you, I was exactly the same way. There was simply no reason to try it at all (Aero somewhat didn't got me going, I even use XP with the classic settings).
However these damned games, buggy 64bit XP drivers and DX10 got me to install it as a secondary/gaming OS, and definitely not on the comp I use for developing. (However I don't know if 32bit Vista makes any sense)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +