14 Replies - 959 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Upgrading more RAM then maximum?

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hello

I've got a laptop of 8GB RAM, next year or so, I'd like to upgrade it to 16GBs of RAM, the problem is: The max RAM of my laptop is 8GB.

So, I can't really upgrade.
My question is, is there a kind of device (like an USB, peripheral device, or small dock) which you can plug-in into your laptop, and your PC can use your actual standard RAM, and the one on the device?

Or, is this not possible because the USB 3.0 bandwidth is maximum 625MB/s? However, 625MB/s should be enough, because the RAM shouldn't suddenly store 2GB+?

Anyway, is there something to do use more RAM, even if you already reached your maximum RAM in your laptop (Asus X555LD).

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Upgrading more RAM then maximum?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Upgrading more RAM then maximum?

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

Maximum memory is set by how much the processor can address. So the maximum memory is set due to the hardware architecture, & is not able to be 'bypassed'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 26 October 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

Maximum memory is set by how much the processor can address. So the maximum memory is set due to the hardware architecture, & is not able to be 'bypassed'.

How does SWAP-memory work then? I thought that if you ran out of RAM, that data (for the RAM) is written to your HDD. Because the HDD is to slow, your PC will crash. But the point, couldn't I use such a kind of USB stick to use that as swap memory instead?

And an a kind of other question. Could I connect my laptop to another PC with better specification using USB 3.0, to let the other PC do calculations, compilation,... with it's better specifications?

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

You can create a RamDisk out of most memory sticks these days (make sure you pick a speedy one), but as you say it isn't going to perform anywhere near that of actual RAM due to the bus speeds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Swap disk is virtual memory & not the same as actual memory. All execution occurs in memory, so when the system is out of memory & needs to load new process for execution, it moves existing memory to virtual memory to be recalled later. That's why Windows slows so badly to poor performance when you run memory intensive programs, or have lots of extra programs running in the background.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

You can create a RamDisk out of most memory sticks these days (make sure you pick a speedy one), but as you say it isn't going to perform anywhere near that of actual RAM due to the bus speeds.

I did some research about RamDisk, and found that this actually would give me less RAM.
Because I read that it actually takes a part of your RAM, and treats it like a SSD. So you'll use a part of your RAM as storage. Is that correct? Because in that case my RAM wouldn't be extended.

View Postno2pencil, on 26 October 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

Swap disk is virtual memory & not the same as actual memory. All execution occurs in memory, so when the system is out of memory & needs to load new process for execution, it moves existing memory to virtual memory to be recalled later. That's why Windows slows so badly to poor performance when you run memory intensive programs, or have lots of extra programs running in the background.

And it wouldn't be possible to instead storing that virtual memory on my HDD, store it on a kind of fast USB?

Also, my other question:
Could I connect my laptop to another computer with better specifications, so a part of my calculations, compilation, processes, generations,... get executed on the CPU and RAM of that other computer with better specifications?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:44 AM

Yeah I used the wrong term there that isn't what you want. You can however still use a USB drive as RAM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostO, on 26 October 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

And it wouldn't be possible to instead storing that virtual memory on my HDD, store it on a kind of fast USB?

Of course it is possible, but it's about process load time over disk seek time. Virtual memory is a supplement to an already over-taxed system. It is not a performance improvement. While you can improve the performance of virtual memory, it's like getting more miles out of a spare tire, than improving the 4 performance tires.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:49 AM

Obligatory:
Posted Image

Check here:
http://downloadmoreram.com

View PostO, on 26 October 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

My question is, is there a kind of device (like an USB, peripheral device, or small dock) which you can plug-in into your laptop, and your PC can use your actual standard RAM, and the one on the device?

No.

Anyway, is there something to do use more RAM, even if you already reached your maximum RAM in your laptop (Asus X555LD)

Get a virtual machine on the cloud.

Why do you think you need to upgrade past 8gb?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Yeah I used the wrong term there that isn't what you want. You can however still use a USB drive as RAM.

Okay thanks!
Could you give my an example of how to do it, or just an article about it?

Are there dedicated USB drives for this, or is it possible with any?
Will it indeed increase performance a bit?

View Postno2pencil, on 26 October 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostO, on 26 October 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

Of course it is possible, but it's about process load time over disk seek time. Virtual memory is a supplement to an already over-taxed system. It is not a performance improvement. While you can improve the performance of virtual memory, it's like getting more miles out of a spare tire, than improving the 4 performance tires.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. :)

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 October 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Why do you think you need to upgrade past 8gb?

My IT-teachers say, that 8GB won't be enough for working with multiple virtual machines running server software.
So I'm wondering, what if I connect to a computer in my class room? Or could I use my older second laptop also with 8GB or RAM?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

You need hardware than can address memory past 8gb. That's the only way you're getting more than 8gb. It's math. It is a limitation of the cpu & the bus. No adding devices is going ot change the architecture. That is why it's a limitation. It is a hardware, physical limitation that can only be upgraded by moving on. Either get a new cpu/logic board, or just get a new unit.

Or get multiple pc's & build a beowulf cluster. But I am going to guess that's not the end result you are after either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

The short of it - no.. the OS isn't going to map RAM addresses to another machine across a slow connection.

A slim boot may work.. but it's a laptop so I doubt it. The nebulous qualifiers make it hard to judge.

View PostO, on 26 October 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

[...]
Could I connect my laptop to another computer with better specifications, so a part of my calculations, compilation, processes, generations,... get executed on the CPU and RAM of that other computer with better specifications?

Get a bunch of other computers and build a 'high performance cluster'.. or HPC Server.
http://social.techne...pc-cluster.aspx
http://blogs.technet...erver-2008.aspx

.. or your own render farm.
http://arstechnica.c...nt-render-farm/

.. or your own Beowulf Cluster
https://www.linux.co...eral-linux/9401
http://www.wired.com/2000/12/beowulf/

.. or your own raspberry pi cluster.
http://likemagicappe...rry-pi-cluster/
http://www.zdnet.com...erry-pi-boards/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

Why not just set the virtual machines up on these other PCs, and access them remotely through the network/internet?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

I still say you just need to download more ram.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

Okay, think it's clear. Thanks all!
I'll consider some of the suggestions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -