• (3 Pages)
  • +

43 Replies - 1922 Views - Last Post: 07 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

So you can't get a Wii...

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:54 AM

...maybe you can get a life instead. :) That's right, just another bitch post. I read a Slashdot post (yes /. is still around) about why it's so hard to get a Wii - people complaining and talking about waiting in line for 2+ hours at stores that will sell a max of 300 per day. "Oh noes - no Wii for xmas!" So you can't get a Wii right now. F**k it. Do something else. Maybe get outside and actually do something. You know...outside...the place beyond your parent's front door...with all the people, trees, cars and stuff. Yeah. Detach the controller from your hand; detach your a$$ from your chair, and get outside and get a life. It's not the end of the world if you can't get a Wii right this second. Wait a few months and get one when world + dog is not trying to simultaneously cram themselves into Gamestop/Toys-R-Us. Or better yet, don't get one. Take up a sport. Volunteer at a retirement home. Learn to play an instrument or learn another language. Travel. No - online traveling doesn't count and Facebook/Myspace friends from other countries don't count.
</rant>

This post has been edited by Programmist: 30 November 2007 - 05:55 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: So you can't get a Wii...

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: So you can't get a Wii...

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:11 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 06:54 AM, said:

Maybe get outside and actually do something. You know...outside...the place beyond your parent's front door...with all the people, trees, cars and stuff.

Not in America my friend. Where we are spoon fed feelings from the media, & told how to be P.C. so that not to offend everyone. We are bred to stay in-doors, consuming foods & energies, & just to be happy little tax-payers. What kind of 50's dream world are you living in where we are to go outside? Don't you know that there are Child-abuctors & rapists living next door? Did you not get the memo to be afraid? Stay inside where it's warm! Consume, spend, live!!!
</sarcasm>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Bravo Bravo! *standing ovation*. I have this "argument" with my son all the time who will sit and play video games from sun up to sun down, not even thinking there's a real world outside, well because in DOOM III there isnt. He give this argument back

But you sit at a computer all day and write code so whats the difference

So then of course then I have to list a few of the differences
  • My code writing keeps this roof over your head
  • I have lto eave the fantasy world and enter the real world each day to work and interact with *actual* people
  • Being MCSD & MCAD Certified are abilities and skills that will take me further in the real world, because you made it to level 6 of some game isn't

And on and on and on.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 1 Dec, 2007 - 12:17 AM, said:

• I have lto eave the fantasy world and enter the real world each day to work and interact with *actual* people
  • Being MCSD & MCAD Certified are abilities and skills that will take me further in the real world, because you made it to level 6 of some game isn't

Then say to your son, "You got pwnt". I'm sure he'll be mighty impressed. :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

View PostRodgerB, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 08:09 AM, said:

Then say to your son, "You got pwnt". I'm sure he'll be mighty impressed. :pirate:

LOL What a thing for a dad to do...lol
I p0wned your a$$, you are teh Sux!
(& do the X crotch - in-your-face wrestling thing)

... Now go to your room so I can bang your mom.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

I am always SOOO close to buying a wii and right now the market is NOT good for buying, contrary to housing. My sister has a Wii that she was going to sell to me for $250 with a few games and two controllers. She's lucky I'm so honest when it comes to that stuff. I guess I'll just stick to Magic: The Gathering. AT least that's only expensive over a long period of time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

It's fun living in the Xbox 1 days. :')
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

View PostRodgerB, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 08:19 AM, said:

I played my xbox last night.
Actually, I just put a 120gb hard drive in it, not that I condone that sort of thing. Nor would I suggest installing Xbox Media Center, dashboards, lots of games & emulators (from Zophar), or Kia Links to play over the internet.

But, to each their own I suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'm the one who makes up them fantasy worlds the kids play in nowadays. Live in your world, get "pwned" in mine. There's only like 30 minutes in the past week where I've been greater than 10 meters away from my laptop, because I have been coding like psycho over here recently. Eh, at least I'm highly productive and lazy at the same exact time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 02:17 PM, said:

Just be careful, because if he becomes the next Johnathan Fatal1ty, then you'll really feel uncomfortable for the rest of your life when you think about these arguments :)
Anyway, sure you are right, but I remember fighting these same fights with my father (I think he mainly saw playing computer games as a waste of time, and not the beginning of finding a profession that you actually enjoy), however I think they just made the situation worse. I see it on my daughter, that they do things the way they see at home. So without knowing the exact situation, I would say that if you want him to get out, then stop preaching and go out with him and play soccer (or baseball, or whatver dads play with their sones to get them out of the house - just don't do it the Goofy way).
My 2 cents...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 07:12 AM, said:

View PostRodgerB, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 08:09 AM, said:

LOL What a thing for a dad to do...lol
I p0wned your a$$, you are teh Sux!
(& do the X crotch - in-your-face wrestling thing)

... Now go to your room so I can bang your mom.

wow this post wins...

seriously though I agree with the next poster who said something to the extent of joining in his activities. I remember being younger and (being he was in prison most my life) my dad would simply watch me play the game a little while, then throw the football at me and my friends. Tell us to come play, next thing you know we're outside for 3 hours ... then we come back in to the game :-) lol

Electronics/Games got me interested in programming and software development (skills I am currently attempting to obtain) but if I was never shown the work that goes into them, I may have been that slob who lives with his mom in the basement at 30. I would recommend showing the kid your code and what it can make. Maybe even a flash game type site. First person shooter deal ya know? Maybe he would be interested in that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:54 AM

in wii sports, this reminder keeps coming up that says "maybe you should take a breakk?"

and i scream "fuck you wii, i tell YOU when to take a break!"

and contrary to popular belief, sitting around all day and playing video games does not make you a worthless piece of shit, just lazy.

just like anything, it should be done in moderation. and just like i am sick and tired of people saying "waa waa i can't get a wii" i am also sick and tired of hearing "fuck video games, be active, eat vegetables, help old people!" how about, who gives a fuck what other people do with their lives. if they want to waste them away in front of a tv screen, more power to them. we are american cowboys.

on a later note, i made a paper airplane today which flew nearly 30 feet, INTENSE!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 10:54 AM, said:

just like i am sick and tired of people saying "waa waa i can't get a wii" i am also sick and tired of hearing "fuck video games, be active, eat vegetables, help old people!" how about, who gives a fuck what other people do with their lives. if they want to waste them away in front of a tv screen, more power to them. we are american cowboys.

The only problem with this statement, is that a child isn't ready to make that choice yet. Yes, when I was in my early 20s I played a LOT of video games, & because of that I put on a bit of weight that I am now trying to take off. I understand that that I made some bad decision that have effected my life. However, a 10 year old who's babysitter is the TV or video games does not have the ability to make this decision.

Mixed with your 2, together we've got 4!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

oh god people want to purchase something they are so dumb and lazy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 1 Dec, 2007 - 01:25 AM, said:

View PostRodgerB, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 08:19 AM, said:

I played my xbox last night.
Actually, I just put a 120gb hard drive in it, not that I condone that sort of thing. Nor would I suggest installing Xbox Media Center, dashboards, lots of games & emulators (from Zophar), or Kia Links to play over the internet.

But, to each their own I suppose.

Thanks for the links no2pencil, I won't condone the fact I am running evox, with Xbox Media Player, and hardly any emulators. 120gb > 8gb, I'd condone that sort of thing any day. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +