4 Replies - 731 Views - Last Post: 09 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice for an scared career-changer!

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi all

Firstly, I should say I'm a brand new member, though I've been looking at it for a couple of weeks.

As a new person, I appreciate its a bit cheeky asking this, but here goes. I've spent years advising my students on careers, so I guess the "boot is on the other foot now".

Basically, I'm thinking of trying to make the leap into a new career in coding. If anyone can spare a minute or two, I'd welcome some thoughts on whether this is a viable path, or I'm utterly mad.

The first thing I should be honest about is that I'm 46! However, I'm committed to learning, keen to work very hard and flexible. I worked for the last ten years as a library professional in a college and I was responsible promoting the digital/online resources to students and the e-learning platform. I thoroughly enjoyed this, but thought I'd like to know how these resources were put together.

I left the college through redundancy a year ago and have working for the civil service since. However; I want a more rewarding role.

For a long while I thought I'd like to know at least basic coding/web design. I've been doing codeacademy courses for a couple of months. I know completing these courses doesn't make me a coder at all. I've enjoyed them though and I've looked into doing one of the bootcamps that are springing up. I'm sure professionals with many years experience e look at these with understandable scepticism, but I have to be pragmatic.

I know it will be hard work and that I'll be starting at the bottom. However, I'm keen to go into this - I could be working another 20 years and I want something that is forward looking, has decent prospects and allows me to develop.

I realise that coding is the "in thing" job-wise at the moment - I need to see beyond the headlines at the reality and my suitability for this kind of work.

I did wonder whether there'd be scope to draw on my background in education and help others once I was proficient and had suitable working experience.

There is one other factor - I can be flexible, but I do have an elderly parent and the time may soon come when I need to base myself closer to her. I was wondering whether, once established in the industry, there were would be opportunities to work flexibly/remotely at least some of the time. Given its the tech industry, I was hoping there might be scope for this.

I'm not looking to be some high-flyer, just carve out a niche. Say, maybe have enough expertise in five years to work a bit flexibly and be a freelancer.

I hope this isn't too vague and rambling. I have some big decisions coming up and I have to make wise ones.

If any did have any thoughts, I'd be a enormously grateful.

Thanks

Si

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice for an scared career-changer!

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice for an scared career-changer!

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

I am unclear on what question(s) you may have buried in there.

I was wondering whether, once established in the industry, there were would be opportunities to work flexibly/remotely at least some of the time.

That depends on job to job, but yes.. Some folk live in RVs and remote in.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostTwmbarlwm, on 16 November 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'm 46! However, I'm committed to learning

Learning is the easy part. Being chewed out by a 30 something manager is something you will additional have to be ok with.

I'm nearing 40 & have to get approval from younger staff for time off. Some people may not have the ego for it, I just want to get the work done, do a good job, & collect a paycheck. I could seriously give a shit if I have to clear approval from a 12 year old girl. Others are not as easy going. Just something to think about. You'll not only be learning new technologies, you'll have to keep pace with ... well potentially your students, as well as have administration staff younger than you giving you marching orders & judging your work.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 16 November 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

View PostTwmbarlwm, on 16 November 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'm 46! However, I'm committed to learning

Learning is the easy part. Being chewed out by a 30 something manager is something you will additional have to be ok with.

I'm nearing 40 & have to get approval from younger staff for time off. Some people may not have the ego for it, I just want to get the work done, do a good job, & collect a paycheck. I could seriously give a shit if I have to clear approval from a 12 year old girl. Others are not as easy going. Just something to think about. You'll not only be learning new technologies, you'll have to keep pace with ... well potentially your students, as well as have administration staff younger than you giving you marching orders & judging your work.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hear what you're saying about younger staff, but my current manager at the Civil Service is 25, so I'm used to it. That wouldn't be a problem and I appreciate that it's a "young person's industry".

I appreciate there wasn't really clear questions in my post - it was more me "thinking out loud" and giving an impression of my current situation and state of mind. Not the easiest thing to pick apart - I apologise for that.

If I could ask one further question - what would be the best website or resource to go to in order to get a feel for the jobs market UK-wide. I appreciate that London is obviously at the heart of things and there are tech centres in Cambridge etc. I was just wondering what the full picture was.

Again, any help gratefully received.

Si
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

Someone's rather hard on himself. I don't think there's anything unrealistic about your ideas and it's all obtainable depending on your aptitude.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1