Unique Project Needs a Nudge

Interfacing Acces and/or MySQL DB with Real Estate Website.

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 903 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Unique Project Needs a Nudge

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I wonder if anyone would care to point me in the right direction for this project I'm working on.

I'm working with a web designer to develop a real estate website that has the following problems:

1) The agent updates his Access DB then that data must be transferred to a Unix-based MySQL for the web designer.
2) The agent is better off using Access because of its ease of use, but the website is better off using a MySQL DB as it's source. I'm not sure what the best approach is to this problem.

3) What are some strategies for interfacing either Access or MySQL with this site?
a) the user must be able to register with the site
B) users can do real estate searches, save their searches, compare real estate, and finally print out a brochure once their item is found
4) How can the agent get the owners he works with to input new properties into his DB as they come up? Is this a realistic expectation wonder?

5) What are some possible approaches to integrating a web site search engine with the contents of the DB?

6) what are some strategies for controlling what parts of the DB the user can access?
a) for example, the DB contains all the info on a given property, but the user should not be able to search for the specific address.

I have the ERD done for this DB, as well as the 1st draft of the Access tables and their relationships complete. I'll submit them in case anyone finds this project interesting enough to comment on. I'm just looking for some tips or hints. I obviously don't expect anyone to go into exhaustive detail if they don't want to.

A

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unique Project Needs a Nudge

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Unique Project Needs a Nudge

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

y do u need 2 dbs? if u like access > MySql, then use access. i dont know if ull be able to use php with access. i didnt c any access functions in php documentation, im sure u can probably write ur own functions to make it work. or u can use java instead, it supports access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

View PostdontKnowJava, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 01:27 PM, said:

y do u need 2 dbs? if u like access > MySql, then use access. i dont know if ull be able to use php with access. i didnt c any access functions in php documentation, im sure u can probably write ur own functions to make it work. or u can use java instead, it supports access.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That is a good point. The problem is that the agent is not going to know how to use MySQL. I thought it'd be easier if he sdministered an Access DB. Then the only thing he'd have to know is how to export Access to MySQL instead of having to update MySQL directly.

A.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

View PostdontKnowJava, on 30 Nov, 2007 - 01:27 PM, said:

Problem solved. We will just build a web interface for the real estate agent so that he does not have to adminster the MySQL DB directly.

A.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1