What kind of programmers needed to make a game?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1541 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2015 - 07:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What kind of programmers needed to make a game?

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi guys, I have a couple questions for you...

What kind of programmers (and how many) would be needed if one wanted to make (and maintain) a video game from scratch? Including designers.

The game would be a multiplayer FPS with 10 levels (maps) and 10 characters. There would need to be an emphasis on security. Lets also assume I want to keep the servers in-house.

Might be a weird question but I'm just curious... I know absolutely nothing about the video game development world.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What kind of programmers needed to make a game?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What kind of programmers needed to make a game?

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

In theory 1 to n programmers. Time, design, art/audio assets, system assets, etc are needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

LOL Yeah i am being a bit vague i guess... sorry
Doesn't the Art/audio/system assets depend on the type of programmers I need?

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 November 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

In theory 1 to n programmers. Time, design, art/audio assets, system assets, etc are needed.

t
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

Some shops have graphics folk, audio studios, and system/network folk.. some shops are just a guy in an apartment doing all of those.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• the case is sol-ved
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

..or in a garage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

Pffsst. Who is rich and fancy to have a garage to program in?! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I guess what im asking is how do you develop a game haha
Time (uhhhh... needed?): As soon as possible i guess
Design: I guess you mean a director for the artist/design of the game? I guess that would be me
Art assets: Not sure what you mean here
Audio assets: I would only need 1 voice actor actually, for the vision i have of this game. I would just would pay them an hourly wage of maybe $16 an hour and i would obviously contract out (pay for his studio time) to any music studio just to get the snippets of audio/voice overs. I would only need a sound engineer to put the sound in the game. Therefore the sound engineer wouldn't need a Studio. He would just be putting snippets of sound in a game. cant be that hard.
System Assets: this is where I really would need help. What kind of programmers would i need to be able to program the servers to run this game. Just like 1 PHP programmer or would i need like 20 php programmers to run this multiplayer?
what kind of servers would i even be looking at?

If someone told you: "YOU. I want a multiplayer FPS with 10 maps and 10 characters"

You say: "I need ____ programmers to design 10 characters, ____ programmers to design 10 maps, ____ programmers to design 100 items, ___ programmers to design 10 actions (actions the characters can do) and 6 months to finish it"
what numbers would you fill in those blanks with?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

For pete's sake - again, indie folk have been making games with one.. ONE.. person. They can buy assets online for graphics, pay someone to make them, or make them themselves. They can do the audio, pay for audio done, or hire someone to do the audio.

Case in point I am making a game.. multiple levels, multiple mobile platforms, doing the art, doing the design, and will be buying most of the audio components.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

Your question is part of the reason I posted this. There's a AAA game (albeit not an online game but one of roughly the same scale as WoW without the ongoing content updates) and a description of the team size and such.

As modi123_1 points out, a person can only do so much in a day. Either you get more people involved, or you get less work done. You can kind of do the math with Fallout 4. But you don't necessarily have to do something that huge. 3D games can be almost as simple as 2D games. There's no reason you can't make 3D Tic-Tac-Toe for example and then it's only slightly more difficult than making 2D Tic-Tac-Toe unless making it 3D somehow changes the game mechanics.

One of the biggest problem with game design, especially 3D game design, is the enormous number of completely different skills involved, many of which can take a lifetime to master each. But you can work at the level you're at and bring people in who have skills you do not have if you can talk them into it.

Design: I guess you mean a director for the artist/design of the game? I guess that would be me

Only if you're last name is Trump and you've got piles of money to burn. Pay me $200,000 a year and I'm yours. ;-) (That's upfront cash by the way for a single person annually.)

In a small project, you probably need to be doing all the jobs yourself unless you have friends who want to do the project just as bad as you do who are willing to blow their time on it for free.

The person in charge really should be the person who knows how to do everyone's job and can fill in as needed. Everyone has ideas for a game. But short of being born a billionaire, you're going to find it difficult to get serious people to work on your project if you haven't already done a good portion of the work yourself all the way around. Plus, once you've done it all yourself, you know what needs to be done and can tell if someone is qualified to do it or not.

If you're serious about it, you should probably start learning to do it all yourself. I wouldn't get too deep into music composition. Unless you're already there, you're probably going to have to find someone who is. And music talent is probably one of the easiest things to find. But for example: 3D modeling to create the 3D models, it's immensely helpful if you can at least make crude 3D models that stand in until a serious modeler with that talent can come in and produce better art work. Being a solid programmer is probably the main thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 November 2015 - 10:43 PM, said:

For pete's sake - again, indie folk have been making games with one.. ONE.. person. They can buy assets online for graphics, pay someone to make them, or make them themselves. They can do the audio, pay for audio done, or hire someone to do the audio.

Case in point I am making a game.. multiple levels, multiple mobile platforms, doing the art, doing the design, and will be buying most of the audio components.

Is your game a multiplayer though?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Oh. And you might try out Unity. There you can really get your feet wet one the world of video game production. You might even use Unity for the actual project you describe.

It has a rather steep learning curve at first. A lot of that is probably because it throws everything at you at once and you're in deep water the minute you get in. Just bit off little pieces and chew slowly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

Multiplayer is just another requirement... Nothing magical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

sorry guys, Im in the middle of writing a rough (outline) of a business plan for this game.

So far i have:
4 programmers/designers employed full time for 2 months to make the game. How much do you think these programmers would be looking for hourly to work for me?
$ 5,000 budget for audio for the game. I know audio.
Team of 4 being paid around $40 an hour full time to maintain the servers 24/7 (im assuming 40 bucks an hour is enough...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostBBeck, on 28 November 2015 - 11:10 PM, said:

Oh. And you might try out Unity. There you can really get your feet wet one the world of video game production. You might even use Unity for the actual project you describe.

It has a rather steep learning curve at first. A lot of that is probably because it throws everything at you at once and you're in deep water the minute you get in. Just bit off little pieces and chew slowly.

I need to get a jump start on this project and all i've ever done in my life is some java to run a simple texas holdem game in my browser.

Reason for the business plan: I want to be able get this project off the ground as soon as possible with an investor. Said investor wont give me money without a business plan. This is why i have all the questions about "how many programmers".

so far its looking like this.
1.) Slap together business plan
2.) while waiting for investors, learn unity and start making the game.
3.) when money finally arrives, i'll know exactly what i need and who i need to get the game up (hopefully)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

View PostBBeck, on 28 November 2015 - 11:06 PM, said:

Your question is part of the reason I posted this. There's a AAA game (albeit not an online game but one of roughly the same scale as WoW without the ongoing content updates) and a description of the team size and such.

As modi123_1 points out, a person can only do so much in a day. Either you get more people involved, or you get less work done. You can kind of do the math with Fallout 4. But you don't necessarily have to do something that huge. 3D games can be almost as simple as 2D games. There's no reason you can't make 3D Tic-Tac-Toe for example and then it's only slightly more difficult than making 2D Tic-Tac-Toe unless making it 3D somehow changes the game mechanics.

One of the biggest problem with game design, especially 3D game design, is the enormous number of completely different skills involved, many of which can take a lifetime to master each. But you can work at the level you're at and bring people in who have skills you do not have if you can talk them into it.

Only if you're last name is Trump and you've got piles of money to burn. Pay me $200,000 a year and I'm yours. ;-) (That's upfront cash by the way for a single person annually.)

In a small project, you probably need to be doing all the jobs yourself unless you have friends who want to do the project just as bad as you do who are willing to blow their time on it for free.

The person in charge really should be the person who knows how to do everyone's job and can fill in as needed. Everyone has ideas for a game. But short of being born a billionaire, you're going to find it difficult to get serious people to work on your project if you haven't already done a good portion of the work yourself all the way around. Plus, once you've done it all yourself, you know what needs to be done and can tell if someone is qualified to do it or not.

If you're serious about it, you should probably start learning to do it all yourself. I wouldn't get too deep into music composition. Unless you're already there, you're probably going to have to find someone who is. And music talent is probably one of the easiest things to find. But for example: 3D modeling to create the 3D models, it's immensely helpful if you can at least make crude 3D models that stand in until a serious modeler with that talent can come in and produce better art work. Being a solid programmer is probably the main thing.

BTW thanks for patient with me bro. I'm not a programmer (yet) so I'm pretty much going into this project blind with my hands behind my back lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +