2 Replies - 300 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best code to use in rewrite

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

myself and my business partner designed and engaged a cold fusion programmer to develop our online document management and tender system. It took 4 years to complete and a lot of heartache but we now have a working system. This was our first venture and we relied on advice and wrote the interactive website in CF with the database in MYSQL5 using only one developer. He relearnt as he went so consequently we now have a huge program that only one person can maintain and rework if he needs to. He is somewhat unreliable and i can go for three weeks without seeing him or him responding to my texts/emails. We want to expand the business but feel as long as we have this set up it will not grow to what it can be. We are project managers as well and that side of our business is very successful. We are thinking that we would like to rewrite the website in a different language utilizing the current developer's business logic strength, but hire 2-3 other developers so we don't have to rely on him alone. Also CF programmers have a much higher hourly rate and maintenance going forward would be costly.

My question is what is the best program for us to use. I have read that CF is good but expensive (we have a licence for version 9) and generally used by larger corporations. We want to get to be a larger corporation but are hampered by out IT support.

Any contributions are appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best code to use in rewrite

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best code to use in rewrite

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

Moved to the Software Development forum. This is not a database related question, really.

Enterprise users (large corporations and the sort) tend to favor things like .Net and Java; things that have other large corporations backing them. (Microsoft and Oracle, respectively.) - .NET is a very good platform, though it locks you into a Microsoft only environment.

Two good choices from the open-source end of the spectrum would be Python and Ruby. Both have been used by large corporations with great results.

Also CF programmers have a much higher hourly rate and maintenance going forward would be costly.

Don't be fooled by the availability of lower cost developers for other languages. Quality developers will always be expensive.

And beware cheap development firms. They may look good up-front, from a business perspective, but their results are usually far less then spectacular.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best code to use in rewrite

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

In addition to the above, which I agree with, I would also urge you to re-evaluate the need for a custom solution. Are you absolutely sure there isn't something out there that you can use for your purpose?
As a rule, if software development isn't your core business, then you should try very hard to avoid doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1