7 Replies - 626 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Question Current Technologies

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Hi Guys,

I feel like I have fallen behind in programming and where the industry is today. I would like to begin focusing on learning new languages, and technologies. I have desktop application development experience and would like to get on the mobile and web bandwagon. I have been working with a .net framework in C# called DevExpress and would like to find a framework that provides similar functionality for the mobile and web area. I have been doing research for different languages like Ruby, Python, Javascript (NodeJS) and there are a lot of different frameworks to pick from. My question to you Dream.In.Code is if I wanted to build web and mobile data driven applications which language and framework would be a good options?

My experience with web so far has been very frustrating, I tried Ruby on Rails but found information was held behind pay walls. for example "Buy my book to see the other half of how to do something". I then moved on to NodeJS and found it extremely frustrating because there are huge amounts of libraries that do the same thing differently and don't have Documentation. In both Ruby on Rails and NodeJS every google search found tutorials not documentation, the tutorials were either help behind a pay wall (Ruby) or a specific example that showed how to do a task with specific libraries that were either out of date or incompatible with a library I was trying to use. (NodeJS).

I have since started to "learn Python the hard way" and have not reached the web development stage yet.

Bottom line, What framework would you suggest for any language to make a web and mobile data driven application?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question Current Technologies

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question Current Technologies

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

There is a lot of support for Xamarin.

Giving you the ability to build Android and iOS application using C# and Visual Studio.
You still need to learn about those other platforms, but being able to make a single solution with projects for each platform, shared backend code, and all of it using the C# you already know is a pretty good path to learning mobile development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thank you tlhIn`toq, I will research Xamarin and see if it fits with my project ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Dogstopper has a couple really good tutorials on hybrid mobile development with Cordova and Ionic. You might want to check them out. :)

http://www.dreaminco...onic-framework/
http://www.dreaminco...onic-framework/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Thank you, macosxnerd101. I like the idea of a mobile app being a website I will take a read of the links you provided.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Freelance developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

Its a matter of taste I guess. I *don't* want an app to be a web site unless there is a reason for it, like data exchange. I like my apps to run on my device, not consume $data$ and be available to me whether I have internet or not - Unless there is a REASON for being tied to a site or service.

So I think part of the decision really should be about needs and wants of the user, not just ease for the developer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

@tlhIn`toq that is a very valid point. I will need to weigh the application against the use case and user experience before making a final decision. Thank you for the guidance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

I've used some Cordova based applications and I would definitely recommend them. The decision is really based on the project. One would not use a a hammer to knit a scarf, as one would not use a needle to build a house.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1