What was the last movie you watched?

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

397 Replies - 25640 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostChoscura, on 28 December 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

This isn't science fiction, ...

So, did you believe it was? No. I think once the franchise creator said it explicitly. It is adorned with seemingly high technological devices, but it's mainly a fantasy franchise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostChoscura, on 28 December 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Just saw "The Force Awakens" with my son- his first theater movie experience. It was a good flick, but the more I think about it, the less I like the Star Wars franchise now, and this movie crystalized it for me. It's a universe where the good guys are super-human and above all law. Even Darth Vader gets redemption at the end, despite having literally committed murder on billions of people in the movie- remember the Death Star? I just can't get behind the idea of 'divine rights'. They'd be perfect if it weren't for that- but literally every character that can use the force is considered more valuable as a person than every character that can't, and the droids are given sentience, but that sentience isn't recognized, even where slavery isn't allowed. This isn't science fiction, it's a spiritualized Dungeons and Dragons in space, complete with wizardly old men in robes with beards who guide young idiots with swords so they can be ninjas.

The thing I think you're missing is that it's heavily inspired by the works of Akira Kurosawa. To that end, the styles, themes, and even world tend to reflect that influence. The Jedi and Sith are analogous to Samurai, while "lesser" beings tend to be portrayed as peasants. Even in the galactic empire and republic, a caste system exists, if not officially acknowledged as such. And much like Kurosawa, the story focuses on heroes larger than life, such as Sanjuro. And just like Kurosawa, Lucas' heroes are rogues, and his villains heroes. Fate and the cycle of blood is more relevant to the story than black and white morality.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

The thing I think you're missing is that it's heavily inspired by the works of Akira Kurosawa.

Well, it is - but Kurosawa's samurai films are also medieval fantasy. Exceedingly well-done fantasy, but fantasy all the same. And it's also heavily inspired by the old horse operas (which are also fantasy, now that I come to think of it).

haven't seen the latest abomination, and frankly I've done my best to forget everything since Jedi, but it's a little hard for me to see Lucas as presenting any sort of moral ambiguity. Han Solo is basically your stock trivially-tarnished-lone-gun, with just enough bad manners to be the "lovable rogue", and apart from him you have Goodies who are Good and Baddies who are Bad, and - as noted - one Baddie who returns to light in the last moments. I mean really - the entire premise of the franchise is that there is a literal Evil which offers great rewards in exchange for your soul. How ambiguous can you really get, with that hanging over you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Star Wars - The Force Awakens.

Really average but also emotional film, funny in parts, too predictable in others.

The Star Wars galaxy is really quite a cruel place, I can understand those who don't like it.

But our planet is also very cruel with people who throw away good food while others starve to death.

There is slavery on this planet even in 2015-16.

People are killed randomly by bombs or bullets.

On our planet the rich declare themselves poor, to avoid taxes.

and the rest of us are not sure, if we have too much but we will take our chances.

Our planet is obscene at times at least there remains hope, magic and faith in the Star Wars galaxy.

We have all lost hope, faith and magic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 28 December 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

Well, it is - but Kurosawa's samurai films are also medieval fantasy. Exceedingly well-done fantasy, but fantasy all the same.

That's kinda my point. Star Wars is High Fantasy, not Science Fiction.

it's a little hard for me to see Lucas as presenting any sort of moral ambiguity. Han Solo is...

Han Solo is a cliche. He's the parallel I'd draw to Sanjuro, or more closely I think probably Kikuchiyo (Seven Samurai). Any of Lucas' characters are archetypes you can find throughout Kurosawa's films. That's, again, kind of the point.

I mean really - the entire premise of the franchise is that there is a literal Evil which offers great rewards in exchange for your soul. How ambiguous can you really get, with that hanging over you?
Maybe I read too much into it, but I always saw it as sort of the ultimate informed morality. Jedi are seen as good because they say they are, Sith are bad because the Jedi say they are. In both cases there's a code of ethics that's questionable at best. Both sit at extreme ends of Western morality, and are intentionally antipodal. Lets step away from the extremists, though - nevermind that Luke killed 2 million people, and Vader chose compassion on multiple occasions. It's a world where slavery is perfectly acceptable, as is blatant and rampant racism, and the "good guys" are violent terrorists, one is even an evil warlord. Both the Galactic Empire and the Republic are dystopian societies - again with a very clear, if unacknowledged, caste system.

That said, I don't think it was intended that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

Not to mention...

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

The Force Awakens again. Went to watch it in 3D this time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I recently watched Hitman: Agent 47. The story is great altough something that has been overused, and by that I don't mean the Hitman series but the rest of them too. It came as a surprise for not being as unrealistic as expected but I guess there's nothing less to expect from today's CGI. All in all, an amusing movie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

Saw The Force Awakens in Imax 3D - twice. Loved it both times. I have a million unanswered questions, but I loved it just the same.

On the homefront, we watched Little Shop of Horrors and The Mist in the last week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Watched Fight Club again over the holiday weekend. This time we tried to notice more starbucks cups. Will try to count in a future viewing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

FYI - I saw this Starwars thing over my birthday.. I didn't blow my hair back, but I was entertained.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Last movie I watched was home alone :unsure:/>
I was debating on watching the new Star Wars but I haven't watched any of the previous so I thought it'd be a waste of time.

This post has been edited by TimHGMoon: 04 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostTimHGMoon, on 04 January 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

Last movie I watched was home alone

I know what you mean, sometimes I just want to stay in and watch a movie too. What did you watch? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 snoopy11  Icon User is online

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hu's on third....
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#30 ArtificialSoldier  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

Saw Star Wars by myself this weekend, I enjoyed it. The nostalgia is strong with this one, originality less so but I let myself just enjoy it.

What's the over/under on how much a movie takes in gross revenue before we can start talking about spoilers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »