• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 3315 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

project operating system

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

Hi, My name is Ahmed,
i'm working for create a new operating system (the first arabian operating system), this one created from 0, that's me every things are writen by my own hands , i need help: some useful books or urls that will help to continue my work.
i'm disapointed i've used to ask helps from arabian forum but: the answer was (closing my count :/ ).
will i find help here ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: project operating system

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: project operating system

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

What have you researched or looked into? Plenty of OS design books on the Amazons..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 December 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

What have you researched or looked into? Plenty of OS design books on the Amazons..

i downloaded operating system concepts 9 edition ...
that's all what i have now, i need some books that give me some tips about kernels, i've already created a simple boot and kernel, but i need useful books or link that help me learning more about os and computers, even about C and Assembly :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

How did you create a simple boot sector and kernel without knowing C and Assembly? Did you just copy and paste from a tutorial somewhere?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 31 December 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

How did you create a simple boot sector and kernel without knowing C and Assembly? Did you just copy and paste from a tutorial somewhere?

no that's wrong, I've written all by my own self, but what i believe is << there is always a limit to your knowledge >> so i want to go farther using C and Assembly ... I'm not looking for beginner books, I'm looking to be pro C programmer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostMRLinuxOs, on 31 December 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 December 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

i downloaded operating system concepts 9 edition ...
that's all what i have now, i need some books that give me some tips about kernels,

I'm not sure the purpose of this topic. We're not a middle man research facility.

No on here (to my knowledge) has developed an OS.

I wouldn't even try it, unless I knew at an intimate level what is lacking, missing, wrong with my existing OS. The closest I've done is writing a 16 bit boot loader, compiling updated Linux kernels. But anything Linux *BSD is meeting my needs.

I wish you the best of luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

no2pencil : you know i'm working on it from 2012, learning C and assembly , I'm 20 year old, finally i got on the univ and it will help two, but i believe you can help more ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostMRLinuxOs, on 31 December 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 31 December 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

no that's wrong, I've written all by my own self, ... I'm not looking for beginner books, I'm looking to be pro C programmer

If you managed to write this yourself by yourself without copying somebody else code or using their code for reference, then you are already at a pro level. Most professional C programmers would be hard pressed to look at technical reference specification for machine and its peripherals, and turn around create a boot loader and kernel. I hate to say it, but most pro level C programmers are dependent on the C runtime library. For you to have created your own runtime library to run within your kernel already puts you head and shoulders above everybody else.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 31 December 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

If you managed to write this yourself by yourself without copying somebody else code or using their code for reference, then you are already at a pro level. Most professional C programmers would be hard pressed to look at technical reference specification for machine and its peripherals, and turn around create a boot loader and kernel. I hate to say it, but most pro level C programmers are dependent on the C runtime library. For you to have created your own runtime library to run within your kernel already puts you head and shoulders above everybody else.

i think that i need more, we the Arabian we have a wisdom that say : << i learned that i don't know >> that mean : what ever you do there is some one top then you, any way : if there is a PRO BOOK for C or Assembly please help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

If you are already at that level, I doubt that you'll get much value out of Expert C Programming, but it's always worth getting another perspective. Personally, I think that you would start getting more value by going above any specific language and learning programming techniques in general and most of these types of books tend to be language agnostic. The same would be true for assembly language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I can use : PHP,Javascript,html,CSS.,C++ AND C & ASM, i'll get this book. thank you for the help :)/>

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 01 January 2016 - 01:57 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

You don't need to quote the party above yours. Use the big Reply button or the Fast Reply area.

If you are planning your own OS, it may also help to read up on the design and implementation of various existing and past OSes. Read about the successes, the failures, and those that fell to the wayside.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

For example, read about GEOS, NeXtSTEP, VMS, Coherent, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostMRLinuxOs, on 31 December 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Hi, My name is Ahmed,
i'm working for create a new operating system (the first arabian operating system), this one created from 0, that's me every things are writen by my own hands

What will make this OS better than currently available ones? What is it about "written by your own hands" that adds value?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

Skydiver : thank you :)
jon.kiparsky : first let's start by what make him better : there are many things that people want but they don't find on the current one, second my project is not simply an operating system, i mean this OS will be used in new computers generations :) , and about all written by my own hand some people use : copy/past, me no i'm creating everything with another style and way, i'm learning about the other ones just to have an idea and to know the Imperfections.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +