4 Replies - 940 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Using Ubuntu Server

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,

I am finally ready to create my own Ubuntu server! Woohoo!

Unfortunately, I've run into a bit of a snag -- there are so many options that I'm not sure how to configure it properly.

I want to have my server be a LAMP server (minus the MySQL, it's really not necessary, at least at this point), a DNS server, a mail server so I can set up email through my web site, and I want to be able to SSH into the machine to make changes so I don't need to have separate peripherals for it. I also want to be able to support multiple virtual hosts that I'll redirect to my main site.

Ubuntu server has options for LAMP server, DNS server, mail server, OpenSSH server, and other things I don't need, like FTP. I'm a bit at a loss -- I've read (via Googling) that you can install one or many of these, but I'm sure there must be repetition with the components, and I can't find whether these options create proper DNS options with bind9 or where they would be.

Can anyone help me out here? Is it better to use one of these ready-done server configs or to do it myself? Once I learn how to do it, I'm going to write down everything so I never have to wonder again, but this first try while learning it is proving to be a bit difficult.

Thanks,
Zel2008

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using Ubuntu Server

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using Ubuntu Server

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Is the theory to run a publicly accessible web server out of your home? I would include MySQL just to have it there, when you decide to add it later, and you will add some kind of RDBMS later, it is better to have it available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

The theory is to have my own web site running out of the server, and having the web site be publicly available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

I'm not sure what's overwhelming. The "A" stands for apache, & it hosts off port 80. That's easy enough to get going. DNS is generally bind, but for what you are doing, you don't need DNS internally, I would use an outside DNS like CloudFlare. As for ssh, this should already be up & running.

Ubuntu (banking off Debian) is one of the more (if not the most) documented LAMP server setup distributions.

View PostZel2008, on 05 January 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

and having the web site be publicly available.

That's possibly the only difficult part. You'll need to forward the port 80 requests from your modems external IP address to your internal server IP. Because this is done outside of your OS, you are going to have to do some research on configuring your router. Additionally, you'll need to check that your ISP allows port 80 traffic, as some do not on residential accounts. If they do not, that's fine, you'll just have to configure Apache to use a non-standard port, bind to that, forward that, & you'll additionally have to have it requested in the browser.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

I would caution you in hosting a publicly available site from your home network. Unless you really know what you are doing, it can cause you issues. Some of the accounts on my servers have breach attempts happen routinely, they are not large or really public sites, just there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1