5 Replies - 1157 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

XNA games on dvds?

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I am re-learning how to use XNA and a thought occurred to me. I know it is possible to port the xbox versions of the game straight to the xbox, but is it possible to have the game run from a disk? On that note, can I do the same with the PC versions too? I don't need to know right away since I am still currently re-learning it all, I was just curious.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: XNA games on dvds?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA games on dvds?

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Why are you learning XNA? It's pretty well dead.. Maybe branch out into the monos.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

I doubt it, but honestly I have no idea. I think the Xbox has a different disk format than other platforms such as PC. So, that would be an issue.

You will definitely want to check out MonoGame. For learning, there's nothing wrong with using XNA (it's a great learning platform). Tutorials are more likely to be written for XNA than MonoGame.

MonoGame has a couple advantages such as cross platform compatibility and being DX11 based rather than DX9 based. But there are some very minor differences between MonoGame and XNA 4.0 which may be a minor problem. Specifically, I found the way that playing video back is a bit different. So, unless you're doing cut scenes or something like that, that probably would not even be an issue and isn't necessarily a huge problem even if you do have to deal with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

I was hoping to stay solely in xna but it occurred to me I could possibly built one in unity. While I know this is mot a unity forum, is I possible to export a unity based game on to a cd?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

I am pretty sure Unity compiles to an .EXE which you can burn to a disc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

Just to chime in on the DVD issue. XNA games on XBOX were only available through the marketplace. It was clearly stated in their TOS/agreement that XNA games could not be placed on DVD and the size of the game was capped. You can't create a game DVD and play it either because Microsoft used/s a proprietary format for their DVDs on the XBOX. For example, you can't just use your PC to copy XBOX DVDs to have a backup or make a copy for your friend. It would have required modding the burner and the XBOX to get it to work, with the risk of writing off both of them if you weren't careful.

Now, you can run just about anything off of an optical disc the same as a magnetic or solid state drive as long as you install and register required libraries on the hard drive. You will have to take into account the fact that different optical discs and drives have different data transfer rates. You will need to plan for that in advance. I'd suggest that you aim for a lower rate than the current maximums, like 4X or 8X, to take into account people using older technology for the widest possible audience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1