3 Replies - 7631 Views - Last Post: 18 January 2016 - 08:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

PHP FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE

Post icon  Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

PHP FAQ

How do I get started learning PHP?

Welcome to Dream.in.Code and the PHP forum! We are excited to have you hear to learn more about PHP programming. As getting started in PHP is an extremely common question, we have a learning series to help you get started:

Getting Better at Programming PHP Learning Series

I would also encourage you to grab a book and work through it. Our members have put together many excellent suggestions to help you.

To get set up with PHP, first download the most recent version of PHP. You may also wish to use an IDE to assist you in your development.

How can I get better at programming PHP?

In addition to the PHP Learning Series thread, we have a large collection of PHP tutorials.

The best way to get better at programming though is by writing code. You may want to consider a project from one of our Project Ideas Threads.

Feel free to participate in the forums as well! We welcome participation from everyone, not just folks with Expert/Mentor badges. If you have a PHP question, please feel free to ask it. We want to help you. If you want to practice and sharpen your skills by helping others, we would love to have your quality help as well.

If you want to discuss the latest PHP technologies, trends, and best practices, feel free to post in the PHP Advanced Discussion forum. Note that homework questions belong in the main PHP forum.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE

• member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP FAQ, Rules, and Resources | START HERE

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

Rules of the PHP Forum

We welcome help and questions from anyone, but we do ask a few things in return:

• Please don't just dump homework questions on us. We do help with homework all the time, but there's a difference between helping and cheating. Helping is when you don't understand a particular part, and we tell you how it works without giving you the answer. Cheating is pasting your assignment's requirements in the question box and expecting someone to give you code you can just turn in. With all that in mind, there's this to consider as well. TL;DR: we're happy to help you with your homework, but helping isn't cheating. Which leads us to our next point:
  • Please don't dump fully coded solutions on people who ask questions. If you feel that it's justified, at the very least, please explain the code in detail. The problem with dumping code with no explanations is that our purpose here isn't to just answer questions. It's to assist in the learning process, to make people better programmers. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, feed him for life." Cliche, but on-point.
  • Be professional and polite. This rule applies to both askers and answerers. For you question-askers, remember that nobody here is paid; we're not your employees. We're volunteers who spend our free time helping people. You can't treat us like hired help and expect us to jump at your demands. By that same note, us question-answerers need to remember that the askers are coming from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels, and they're trusting us to steer them right. We should respect them for knowing to ask for help, and for choosing us to help them. For both sides, communicating professionally helps. If your post has a bunch of "lol" or emoticons or "cn sum1 pls halp me plox?" garbage, we're going to ignore you because you're showing you don't respect us enough to make an effort for effective communication.
  • Stay on topic. Question/Answer threads are not for off-topic discussion. It's excellent when a question leads to interesting discussion, and we very much encourage it. But once it goes on for several posts, it can detract from the Original Poster's question, especially if they haven't confirmed that their problem is resolved. To remedy this, feel free to make a new thread in the C# Advanced Discussion subforum to continue discussion. Link to the Q/A topic, and carry on there. We welcome discussion, we just prefer to keep it organized.
  • Be correct. Please do your best to verify your answers. If you have a source (like an MSDN link), you should include it in your reply. We'd like our threads to be useful to Googlers as well as the person who asked the question, so having correct, on-point answers help.
  • Don't sweat the rep. Our forum has a feedback mechanism: the green and red buttons at the bottom of each reply. These allow you to upvote good answers as well as downvoting off-topic or blatantly incorrect answers. Unfortunately, there's no way to undo a vote, so if someone accidentally downvotes you, don't let it get under your skin. Your reputation isn't the be-all, end-all thing on this site. Unlike StackOverflow, your rep is not related to your access or permissions, so having negative reputation is not as big a detriment. On the other hand, members see this number, and it can tell people that you're either a helpful person, or you're an argumentative jerk. Keep that in mind as well.
  • Don't abuse the rep either. We want you to use the rep buttons, otherwise we wouldn't have put them there. But we don't want you to abuse them. Don't upvote people just because they're your friends; upvote useful, helpful, on-topic posts. By that same point, don't downvote people for petty reasons, like "well they downvoted me". The red button should really only be used for grossly incorrect posts, off-topic posts, or blatantly unhelpful ones. For the most part, a "hey, that's not correct" is more useful than a downvote.
  • Contribute! If you feel like you have something to add, go for it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

PHP Resources

The PHP Easy Start Guide – how to get started

Another Easy Start Guide that does away with the older obsolete practices.

The giant PHP List of Common Problems – first aid when you have a problem with your PHP code

Web Based Game Essentials

PHP - Full Documentation Download

PHP & Security – some links to sites discussing security strategies

MVC, Business Logic, and Other Things that Hurt My Brain

Supporting File Uploads

PHP and Security Links

often cited PHP tutorials:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

PHP Forum Leaders

Martyr2

Hello everyone, I go by the name of Martyr2 and I am American even though I live in Vancouver Canada. I have been programming for over 13 years and have worked as a programmer in many industries. Some of my experience includes appliance retail software, the travel industry where I was responsible for over 170+ websites world-wide and just recently transferred over to a hot tech company doing communication software. I consider this job a bit of a "think tank" because of the free reign I am given to explore programming concepts. The last few years I have focused on system/algorithm design, best practices and general programming theory.

Being that I ran several websites for several years, many of which were built on the PHP platform, I have extensive experience in creating PHP solutions. I have also been a part of several game development efforts focused around PHP and have even been asked numerous times to hack online games in security testing. I know how to design game algorithms as well as create old fashioned web apps. Everything from administration panels to login forms to statistics gathering and reporting and even merging with technologies such as jQuery/Javascript and even ASP pages.

With over 9 years experience in web development you can be sure that I know quite a bit and will certainly do my best to answer all questions thoughtfully as well as with a bit of kindness/good humor. Learning should be fun and the goal is to get you on the right path to making that next Google! :)

astonecipher

I'm Andrew, an American living in Tennessee, the medical technology apex. I have been developing for for roughly 20 years, 13 of those more focused that the previous 7. I have experience in VB.Net and C# desktop application, Mainframe systems, VBA. More recently I have been working the Linux side of the fence with focus on Batch, Python, Ruby, and PHP. I have developed a variety of PHP websites ( including million dollar eCommerce sites) and Applications that handle hundreds of thousands of concurrent users.

My current gig is a Senior Software Developer dealing with Health Bio-metric data warehousing and analysis applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1