2 Replies - 1205 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows Hard Drive issue

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have a tower containing a 250 GB hard drive with Windows Vista Home Basic stored in it. Windows is able to start up fine. Now I have Windows 7 Professional stored in a 500 GB hard drive which came from a Shuttle Glamor XPC. I tried connecting the 500 GB hard drive to the Windows Vista tower with the 250 GB hard drive. Windows starts up, but the 500 GB hard drive is not showing up in Disk Management nor in BIOS. I disconnected the 250 GB hard drive and tried to start Windows with just the 500 GB hard drive to see what would happen and I get the following:

Windows Error Recovery

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair
can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during
startup, choose Start Windows Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally

Description: Fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting

I tried both options, but again Windows fails to start. However, the 500 GB hard drive is shown in the BIOS. What is causing this error? Why is the 500 GB hard drive not showing up in Disk Management or in BIOS when both hard drives are connected? NOTE: Windows 7 Professional does start when I use the 500 GB hard drive with the Shuttle Glamor XPC. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows Hard Drive issue

• Too busy for this
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows Hard Drive issue

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

One drive is configured and has the drivers for one setup, the other hard drive is set for a different computer. You cannot just swap the hard drives around in computers if they are set as boot drives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows Hard Drive issue

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

I have done that - moved HDs from one machine to another, but if the disks are IDE disks and in the same port, one drive needs to be master and the other one a slave (jumpers on the disks). The Windows installed for another architecture - of course - can't boot (different chipsets etc.).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1