(VB6) Game Launcher

I need some help on a launcher I am working on for a game modificatito

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 5538 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2007 - 12:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

(VB6) Game Launcher

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hello there, as you can read on the topics title I am working on a launcher for a game modification. To be more spesific it is a modification for the game GTA San Andreas. Well, I am using the shell command for the play button but the problem is that the game crashes before it starts. If i execute it manually then it works fine. I also tried it on other game's .exe's and there happens the same. I am using the following code.
 Shell "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe", vbNorlmalFocus 
I wonder if somebody could tell me why it crashes and a solution would be very nice. Is there maybe an other command which I can use for execustion of .exes? Thank you for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: (VB6) Game Launcher

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: (VB6) Game Launcher

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

I have a feeling that these game makers have a check to see if their game is being launched "their" way or someone else's way, if this is the case you will have to find a a way to emulate their launcher to make it work. I could be wrong, but I believe thats how it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:14 AM

Yes, that might be true. I could need some good hands to help me on that. Can someone tell me what i could do? I am still new on vb, im just 15 and the launcher must be finished within 14 days. THX!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

Ok, i found a solution for my problem. Simply, the play button won't shell the gta_sa.exe but a .bat file will execute it.
gta_sa.exe
This is the code I used for the .bat file which is located in the games directory. But what if it wouldn't be in this directory but somewhere else? I'd use this one
cd C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\
gta_sa.exe
If the user had German version of Windows it would be "Programme" instead if "Program Files" so it wouldn't work as expected. I'd like to know how to use the "find" command in the cmd efficenty? The idea is to locate the gta_sa.exe and then execute it. Something better is to find the location of gta_sa.exe via the registry. Could someone give me a hand on that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1